Breath Test Rethink?

Alex H

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Breath-test-ethylotest-Valls-drivers-fines-alcohol-14150-view-article.html

Anyone seen anything like this in the French press?

"DRIVERS have been given an extra four months' grace over the imposition

of €11 fines for not carrying breath tests - and the law may even be

scrapped.

A shortage of tests across the country has prompted the interior

ministry to delay the start of the fines until March 1 and Interior

Minister Manuel Valls said he wanted to use this interval to evaluate

the usefulness of the law."

Valls said that before March 1 he wanted to have a new look at the law

along with road users' groups and victims' groups. The Ligue Contre la

Violence Routière has already attacked it as just a "little cosmetic

measure".

[quote user="Chancer"]

Its been in all the French press and on all the news programs: http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2012/10/08/ethylotests-obligatoires-pas-d-amende-avant-le-1er-mars-2013_1772052_3224.html?xtmc=ethylotests&xtcr=1

Why did you ask? Was it that you had not seen anything or wanted to know if the connexions article was wrong?

[/quote]

Neither that link nor the one linked from it ( confirmant une information du Parisien.fr ) appears to confirm the Connexion's report that "Valls said that before March 1 he wanted to have a new look at the law along with road users' groups and victims' groups"

Edit: Add details of link

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Chancer"]Its been in all the French press and on all the news programs: http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2012/10/08/ethylotests-obligatoires-pas-d-amende-avant-le-1er-mars-2013_1772052_3224.html?xtmc=ethylotests&xtcr=1

Why did you ask? Was it that you had not seen anything or wanted to know if the connexions article was wrong?[/quote]

Neither that link nor the one linked from it ( confirmant une information du Parisien.fr ) appears to confirm the Connexion's report that "Valls said that before March 1 he wanted to have a new look at the law along with road users' groups and victims' groups"

Edit: Add details of link[/quote]

Have a look at the original press release:

http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/medias-outils/espace-presse/publications-presse/manuel-valls-ministre-de-l-interieur-annonce-le-report-au-1er-mars-2013-de-la-verbalisation-pour-defaut-d-ethylotest-dans-un-vehicule-a-moteur

"Le ministre de l’Intérieur Manuel Valls proposera au comité

interministériel de la sécurité routière de mettre à profit ce délai

pour évaluer l’intérêt de ce dispositif en étroite association avec le

conseil national de la sécurité routière et les associations d’usagers

et de victimes de la route. Aucun relâchement n’est possible dans la

lutte contre l’alcool au volant."

Thanks for the link, Pickles.

However, don't you think that the Connexion's report that:-

"Valls said that before March 1 he wanted to have a new look at the law along with road users' groups and victims' groups"

is a rather loose translation of the paragraph in the report you linked to, which for me comes out more like:-

The minister will propose to the road safety committee to take advantage of the delay to evaluate the usefulness of this device in close association with the national security council and the association of road victims. No relaxation of possible in the battle against “alcohol at the wheel”

For my non colloquial translation.

It usually serves its purpose, but I often run more important stuff by one of my french acquaintances for a "smoother" result [:D]

Is it really as bad as Google translate? I only use that for languages of which I have no knowledge.