C4 Picasso anyone ?

Russethouse

Earlier this year we changed our car to a Citroen C3 Picasso (http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2685489/ShowPost.aspx)

It has lots of things I like but sadly it just isn't the car for us, its too small and not very comfortable on longer journeys. The Zsara Picasso was better in both regards

I'm looking at C4 Picassos and wondered if anyone had one ? We'll opt for Petrol again and a manual gearbox, I haven't read good reports od ESG (?). I like having the lights and wipers come on automatically but one review said those things are not on post 2010 models......that seems a backward step....I like the parking sensors too.

Also there have been comments abot poor radios ?  Of course we'd like a comfortable ride and economy, who wouldn't ? But we don't do more than 10,000 most years, sometimes considerable less...

I like the fact that with MPVs you are not struggling to get out of them .. any other cars along similar lines we might consider ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people / mechanics do not have the range of vehicle experience of the reviewers and I tend to take Honest John's reviews s a good benchmark,

3 stars  citroen/c4-picasso-
4 stars peugeot/3008
4 stars vauxhall/meriva-
4 stars renault/scenic-
5 Stars /kia/ceed-
5 Stars    /hyundai/i30- ?

But don't forget that when in France there is quite a lot of existing French manufacturers dealerships ready to serve and this does make me swerve towards a French Car, I had an expensive service done on my renault by the local main dealer garage and was pleased to get a bill 75% of that quoted in the UK, plus the owners wife arranged to drop me back to the house and collected me when the car was ready!

Finally of course it is at a cost and the biggest one is depreciation, an acquaintenance in the Trade says that Kia/Hyundai are not valued as trade-ins

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2112143/Depreciation-league-table-Ten-cars-lose-value-years.html

I have a C4 Picasso diesel and I love it.

It doesn't have automatic lights, wipers and parking sensors though.

So much depends on each individual's needs doesn't it. I bought mine because my grandchildren are now so big that I need three decent size seats in the back and there are two in the boot as well.

It carries a huge amount of stuff when we make our trip to France. When my OH drove down alone this year he thinks he averaged 52 miles per gallon on the motorways and 43 overall.

Even though it doesn't have sensors I find it much easier to park than other cars I've had which have sensors - my Ford Galaxy for example. We've had no problems with the radio.

I find it easy and comfortable to drive and am very happy with it.

Hoddy

Hoddy, Is yours a Grand Picasso ? Post 2010 ?

I was looking for a post 2010 but the 5 seater but I really do like not having to worry about the wipers on motorway trips.....on the other hand I believe the storage is very good in the newer ones....

I do look at Honest John but I couldn't find a 2010 Picasso on there...looking at What Car tends to freeze my screen , even in Firefox

The other complaint I have with this C3 is the seats seem quite shallow, not so bad for driving but not very comfy as a passenger...what are the seats like in the C4.?

Hi Russethouse,

Got no mechanical knowledge at all but know what I like in terms of comfort, I have a Renault Scenic Picasso but on my last visit to Limoges I hired a Citroen C4 Picasso ( because of needing lots of space for my elderly mum's wheelchair. What luxury, I loved it, automatic hand brake, automatic wipers (how lazy is that !!!!)

The most comfortable 2 weeks driving ever, lots of space, ............I want one !!!!!!

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Mel.

I had a Ford S Max 7 seater and loved it, only an 1800 Zetec but 50ish MPG and loads of room plus an almost Germanic feel.

Wife currently is in a 2008 Zafira which we have had from new - decent but needs to be used or EGR valves can be an issue.

Previous car..Seat Alhambra 130tdci...brilliant and over 120mph with a roof box and 7 up...on a private test track allegedly.

My current wheels BMW320DSE...can't argue with 60mpg and 170 ponies. Ford Transit 280 (love transits and have had most body types post 1978) and just one Yamaha fazer now.

I did look recently at the Hyundai iload crewcab and haven't dismissed it just yet.

Funny isn't it, nothing would drive me more mad in a car than lights, and particularly windscreen wipers, which decided for themselves when they wanted to come on, that's for ME to decide NOT a bl**dy car !

I even had to have the automatic door locking on my Skoda disabled as it maddened me them locking at 5 mph. It wouldn't have been so bad if subsequently opening a door had unlocked all round but it didn't and I couldn't even guess at the number of times I got out to open the tailgate or maybe another door only to realise that they were still locked - ${)&+?>>*%$^!!!!!

Every car made in the last 20 years or so has intermittent and two or even 3 speed wipers and I simply cannot see the where the problem is with that. Clearly others do though, maybe it means they can't put the brain completely into neutral [Www]

It's just a little thing I liked, especially when on motorway trips I seem to often be in and out of showers, or 'spitty' rain.....

I also liked the lights coming on auto although actually I probably tend to put them on earlier rather than later.

I like a decent radio too with TA etc....this car has TA even when I am playing CDs which the last one didn't, which is useful...just another 'girly' thing :-)

With the locking in the C3, once the driver gets out all the other doors unlock unless the driver has left the key in the ignition, and then the boot remained locked and this was the case even in the Zsara.

The main reasons driving the change are comfort and space...

I am with Russethouse in every respect here. I am not a lazy gett but do appreciate some features of my BMW which (to me at least) make perfect sense. Doors which lock once moving - less chance of the Mrs getting her bag snatched at the lights or the laptop pinched out of the boot etc. (More common than one may think particularly in motorway services)

Rain sensitive wipers which adjust to the volume of rain...no more 'juddery' wipers over a screen that's slightly too dry and no fiddling with adjustments when making an overtake in the rain and the lorry 'bow wave' comes over.

As for auto lights..I never switch mine off..If its dark the car is illuminated and if it isn't then it isn't...A better state of affaris than Mr or Mrs Fog lights on sans fog or no lights on on a fast dual carriageway in poor light /spray.

So rather than 'Brain in neutral' I would suggest that perhaps myself and RH simply like to avail ourselves of modern conveniences when they make life simpler/safer.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Doors which lock once moving - less chance of the Mrs getting her bag snatched at the lights or the laptop pinched out of the boot etc. (More common than one may think particularly in motorway services)

Err, somebody attempting to open a door or the boot as you are moving off at a motorway service station, where is this, The Gorbals or Soweto perhaps ?

Rain sensitive wipers which adjust to the volume of rain...no more 'juddery' wipers over a screen that's slightly too dry and no fiddling with adjustments when making an overtake in the rain and the lorry 'bow wave' comes over.

The aware and involved driver will have already anticipated that and adjusted his/her wipers accordingly and in fact is safer driver because they have acted proactively to a danger and not relied on their car to automatically respond reactively, a split second which potentially could make all the difference

As for auto lights..I never switch mine off..If its dark the car is illuminated and if it isn't then it isn't...A better state of affaris than Mr or Mrs Fog lights on sans fog or no lights on on a fast dual carriageway in poor light /spray.

So what need would you have for automatic ones. Your reference to Mr or Mrs Fog lights serves to reinforce my comment about brain dead drivers. Similarly to the wipers automatic lights will come on reactively when the ambient light drops to the point where they become necessary when actual condition may demand that the be on long before that.

So rather than 'Brain in neutral' I would suggest that perhaps myself and RH simply like to avail ourselves of modern conveniences when they make life simpler/safer.

Yes, by all means make use of modern conveniences but also recognise them for what they are.

[/quote]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="BIG MAC"]Doors which lock once moving - less chance of the Mrs getting her bag snatched at the lights or the laptop pinched out of the boot etc. (More common than one may think particularly in motorway services)

Err, somebody attempting to open a door or the boot as you are moving off at a motorway service station, where is this, The Gorbals or Soweto perhaps ?

Try parked up while enjoying a cup of coffee or a call of nature...last time I checked 'Gorbals Services' didn't exist however as you are clearly out of touch with modernity in general ...the little darlings use a smart phone to detect active bluetooth devices and will open a car boot and disappear on bikes in the blink of an eye. 'Driving off' isn't the ideal scenario for them as many cars doors will lock automatically...but then you know that.

The aware and involved driver will have already anticipated that and adjusted his/her wipers accordingly and in fact is safer driver because they have acted proactively to a danger and not relied on their car to automatically respond reactively, a split second which potentially could make all the difference

And a 21st centrury driver will have the luxury of being able to over-ride their convenience features if they should choose to do so...in 3 years of ownership (or 95,000 miles if you prefer)  I have needed to do that errr....never

So what need would you have for automatic ones. Your reference to Mr or Mrs Fog lights serves to reinforce my comment about brain dead drivers. Similarly to the wipers automatic lights will come on reactively when the ambient light drops to the point where they become necessary when actual condition may demand that the be on long before that.

I have an efficient dynamics vehicle it uses power sparingly and recharges the battery on decelleration and has stop start technology and has automatic radiator grille shutters. It works efficiently...I could use and Archimedes thousand sheild mirror and the power of the sun..BMW in thier wisdom decided to make the job easier and got my custom...so shoot me.

Yes, by all means make use of modern conveniences but also recognise them for what they are.

If you insist...I recognise them as being both 'modern and efficient'

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="BIG MAC"]Doors which lock once moving - less chance of the Mrs getting her bag snatched at the lights or the laptop pinched out of the boot etc. (More common than one may think particularly in motorway services)

Try parked up while enjoying a cup of coffee or a call of nature...last time I checked 'Gorbals Services' didn't exist however as you are clearly out of touch with modernity in general ...the little darlings use a smart phone to detect active bluetooth devices and will open a car boot and disappear on bikes in the blink of an eye. 'Driving off' isn't the ideal scenario for them as many cars doors will lock automatically...but then you know that.

And a 21st centrury driver will have the luxury of being able to over-ride their convenience features if they should choose to do so...in 3 years of ownership (or 95,000 miles if you prefer)  I have needed to do that errr....never

I have an efficient dynamics vehicle it uses power sparingly and recharges the battery on decelleration and has stop start technology and has automatic radiator grille shutters. It works efficiently...I could use and Archimedes thousand sheild mirror and the power of the sun..BMW in thier wisdom decided to make the job easier and got my custom...so shoot me.

If you insist...I recognise them as being both 'modern and efficient'

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

We've just come back from seeing a C4 Picasso VTi VTR+ which doesn't have the bells and whistles of the present C3 but is more spacious and comfortable and has very low mileage and a service history. It will still have a full years manufacturers warranty when we pick it up( it's a late 2010 model) The lady who traded it in went on to buy a Picasso C3, horses for courses......

I'll be sorry to lose some of the features but to get them on a C4 we would have to have had a diesel which sn't appropriate because of the short journeys I do ( the dealer mentioned the particulate filter) or have a ESG gear box of which I am yet to hear a good review.

On the other hand this car has an electronic hand brake......also it feels more 'stable' , may be to some of you that would equate to sluggish, but at speed I find the C3 kind of light feeling....we'll see

I'm off to France on Wednesday and we'll collect it when I get back

If anyone is near Quimper and the Antiques Salon at Penviller, do let me know......

[quote user="Russethouse"]On the other hand this car has an electronic hand brake[/quote]Is that supposed to be a good thing ?

IMO it's just another 'modern and efficient' convenience you can take and shove in the same useless bin as the auto wipers and lights [blink]

Still, if you're happy nothing else matters does it, but then you were presumably happy with the C3 when you bought that  hey ho [;-)]

AN - we live and learn...we thought our old car was coming to the end of its life and thought that a smaller car would suit us better.

We went to our local dealer and had a very short test drive in a Diesel, just to get to see how it handled etc, then they found the car we wanted and had it moved from another branch. Again a very short test drive...it was so much better than the first one we looked at we thought it would be OK, I thought the seats were firm, but the OH assured me that was much better for you!.........:-)

This time I've been keeping an eye on the Internet and went down to Dorset to see this one - again a dealership but with long serving staff, rather than the here today gone tomorrow turn over of the last place. We had a much longer test drive and I felt more comfortable from the word go.....

We'll see........Maybe we just aren't very good at choosing cars?.....