I got my picture taken

Pierre ZFP

No excuses.  Going around Lille on Friday evening, held up for quite a while due to a smash up ahead at a critical junction, got past it and was determined not to speed to 'make up time' but I noticed my speed had crept up to 116 kph (in a 110 limit) and FLASH !!!!

So with a 5% tolerance, can I expect a speeding ticket for doing 110.5 Kph ?

Pierre, how did you gauge your speed, via your speedometer or satnav?

This post recently I have been flashed many times in France whilst being under the stated speed limit so not all cameras are accurate it leads me to believe

I did wonder about investing in one of these, so much easier to keep an eye on things without taking your eyes off the road [I]

Well the speedo in my car is so inaccurate that I regard it as a suggestion only.

I glanced at my SatNav because the speed had changed to red, it does that if you are more than 5Kph over the stated limit so I'm pretty sure I was doing 116 Kph.  Like I said, no excuse but not exactly a hanging offence, I will just be a bit miffed to receive a ticket for 1 Kph over...........

Most sat navs have a speed warning  audio setting that can be activated .  My old one a voice said " You are over the speed limit  " ..  The one I have now has a speedo that I can view   It also has a bl***y annoying  high pitch warbling tone that kicks in when you go over the speed setting for the road you are on  The icon  has to be  tapped to shut the thing off to continue over the limit  so you cant help but know you are speeding ..

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Well the speedo in my car is so inaccurate that I regard it as a suggestion only.
I glanced at my SatNav because the speed had changed to red, it does that if you are more than 5Kph over the stated limit so I'm pretty sure I was doing 116 Kph.  Like I said, no excuse but not exactly a hanging offence, I will just be a bit miffed to receive a ticket for 1 Kph over...........
[/quote]

Aah, so saddly it was really 6kph over not 1kph you cannot apply the same logic now you have used the tolerance band too

You can't automatically presume that the indicated speed on your satnav is 100% accurate either.

It is probably more accurate than your speedo but how accurate will depend on the contours of the road you are driving on, possibly the gradient, how good the sat lock is et,c etc.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Well the speedo in my car is so inaccurate that I regard it as a suggestion only.

[/quote]

You may well receive a ticket for 1 kph over........we got pinged (again, no excuses) doing 56 in a 50 zone, tolerance of 5 kph left us looking at the fine for the registered speed of 51 kph [:(]

I might be making this up/dreaming, but aren't the tolerances different depending on the speed limit?

(I'm wondering if you get a bit more allowed for higher limits?)

Lou

[quote user="Lou"]I might be making this up/dreaming, but aren't the tolerances different depending on the speed limit?

(I'm wondering if you get a bit more allowed for higher limits?)[/quote]

I believe it's 5 kph or 5%, whichever is greater.  Unfortunately I can't remember the source of this information (but I believe it, so it must be true.)

Boring though it is, I've found the cost of fuel to be the best speed control device, I've almost got over having to rush to be somewhere on time and have amazed myself that at about 10ml an hour below speed limits my mpg has improved by about 10%, my arrival times have hardly suffered and amusing sometimes to find that the flying machine that had to get past is stuck behind a truck a few miles further on [:D]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]So with a 5% tolerance, can I expect a speeding ticket for doing 110.5 Kph ?[/quote]The tolerances are there to be fair not to facilitate driving up to but fractionally under the camera trigger level, i.e. 115kph in a 110.

Not judging or criticising just stating a fact [8-|]

The argument that accuracy is compromised to any significant degree when going up or down hill ignores the fact that in any typical situation you are probably being illuminated by 10 or so satellites and not just driving more or less towards or away from a single satellite or even a pair and with that many in view your sat nav should still be able to accurately calculate your speed across the ground.

In any case, the magnitude of the potential error is so small as to be of no practical consequence and will only exceed 1% when ascending or decending a 1:7 slope or greater. It's all to do with some geezer called Pythagoros I believe.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/GPSerror.jpg[/IMG]

Yes I'll certainly let the forum know of the outcome, if I get a ticket it will be a chance for another grumble.  I won't hold my breath about 10 days though,  I got flashed near Thionville once (95 in a 90) and it took 15 months for the ticket to reach my letterbox.

I know it's not France but you have to smile [:)]

pocketgpsworld.com

A former Stockton councillor, who campaigned for speed cameras to be installed on a busy stretch of road, has been banned after speeding on precisely the same road that his campaign was focused on.

A former leader of Stockton Borough Council, Ken Lupton, was disqualified from driving for six months as he already had nine points on his licence.

Commenting on the ban, he said: "Ironically, I had just put out a news letter to residents outlining the fact that we were asking for cameras to be put in Darlington Road because of excessive speed there."