UK insurance for fully comp European cover and breakdown

just john

I have been advised by Saga that on my renewal my comprehensive european cover will be limited to three months a year [I require 6 months], and european breakdown service will not be included but that I must apply separately for it with a separate charge.
Consequently time to shop around, I believe someone else mentioned this topic on the forum somewhere but I can't find the post,
anyone have any good references for a starting place for this kind of inclusive quote?

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Try http://www.lv.com/ for your insurance. They offer breakdown cover as an optional extra.

http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/ offer basic RAC cover as part of their insurance cover, which may be upgraded to full European cover as an extra. [/quote]

Thanks for your reply Sam,  but Wow, I've just had a surprising conversation with nfu who declined to offer a quotation since I had requested european cover! Only after I requested to speak to a manager did they explain that they only offer European cover as a 2-3 week holiday option for principally UK clients, and not for any extended period for any reason. I queried this on the basis that there were people they insured who did use their insurance for extended periods and was told that if they declared it on proposal they would decline to offer them insurance; (I do know people insured with nfu who believe they are covered for extended periods, what would happen if . . . ![:-))])

LV were able to offer a more complete package (including £100,000 personal cover in the event of injury; standard policy only covers max of £10k);
LV were very close to my current costs so still looking if anyone has any suggestions. European cover does seem to be the next thorn in insurance cover.

We are also insured by Saga, and enjoy European cover with them for extended periods. Our renewal isn't due for several months yet, but we were unsettled to read your post.

I've just looked up on Saga's website and found that unlimited European cover is still listed as one of the benefits of insuring with them.

We'll be looking at various insurers over the next few months as our renewal gets closer, and will be very interested in the outcome of your search!

Now that is surprising JJ, with regard to NFU anyway.

Up to last year I'd had my motor policy with them for several years, and during this time they offered no restriction on extended periods of European travel - and definitely not limited to 2-3 weeks holiday breaks!

On receiving my last renewal quotation off them, I was very shocked to find that despite no claims on the policy, the premium had shot up some 40% and even though I have other policies with NFU, they would not budge one inch!

From your experience, it sounds like NFU are trimming their motor insurance even further which is a great shame, as they used to be one of the best on the market.

Previous to NFU, I was with LV (or Frizzells as it was known). A change of vehicle and a change of company policy meant LV weren't in a position to continue offering cover for my choice of vehicle hence the change to NFU.

After the shock of NFU's proposed 40% rise on cost, I again contacted LV who, once again, had had a change in their policy and were now willing to offer me cover at far less than both NFU and interestingly, Saga!

If you qualify, it may be worth your while pursuing your insurance, both motor and breakdown, through membership of the CSMA http://www.csmaclub.co.uk/index.php as there can be a big difference in what you pay as a member.

For instance, European breakdown insurance via Britannia Rescue (owned by LV) as a CSMA member  £73.50 as against £130.00, and your insurance quote from LV should also reflect a large saving.  

Insurance companies, don't you just love 'em?

[quote user="just john "]I do know people insured with nfu who believe they are covered for extended periods, what would happen if . . . ![:-))][/quote]They are of course covered 3rd party for the duration of the policy. It's only the additional elements encompassed in their comprehensive cover which are time limited.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Edited quote:    ..... Previous to NFU, I was with LV (or Frizzells as it was known).  .....      [/quote]

Small pedantic correction:   I don't believe LV was known as Frizzells. More likely the other way round.   LV have been around since the 1800's and were always known as Liverpool Victoria until relatively recent times. They acquired Frizells in c1996.

I've just looked at Carol Nash, but only 90 days European cover are on offer - JJ needs c. 180 days, as do we. As Saga still show unlimited European cover, I'm still hoping we'll continue with them - maybe it was just a slip-up, JJ? Maybe you could phone them and see what comes of it? Good luck!

[quote user="gardengirl "]I've just looked at Carol Nash, but only 90 days European cover are on offer - JJ needs c. 180 days, as do we. As Saga still show unlimited European cover, I'm still hoping we'll continue with them - maybe it was just a slip-up, JJ? Maybe you could phone them and see what comes of it? Good luck!
[/quote]

I have spoken to Saga, I changed from an estate to a Renault Trafic four years ago, and it seems the vehicle concerned is probably the reason, this required some persuasion last year to continue the all year round european cover despite the cover being social domestic and pleasure, not commercial, my car still enjoys these benefits whereas the Trafic has now been deemed commercial and therefore limited cover, a definite change in policy . . . NFU didn't even take details of vehicle before declining to give european cover.  
However it has caused me to review my insurance company and have found better terms and quotes elsewhere, I won't be renewing with Saga despite having two vehicles with them for over 8 years, still getting quotes and will update on my renewal.

JJ, it seems from what you say that most others should be OK.

My husband went down to help an English neighbour with a totally dead battery earlier, and asked who she was with for breakdown cover in France. She's also with Saga, so is covered for breakdown as well as insurance in Europe, like us. She said they had renewed their cover a few weeks ago, so that's positive info from two of you. Hope you soon get sorted - and if cover is as good but cheaper, we might be rather tempted to move on renewal - but Saga were splendid when we had an accident last year, and cover didn't cost any more on renewal despite it costing several thousand to repair our car, so we have strong ties to stay with them.

I did a partial exercise on this earlier this year and Aviva offered 180 days cover. I asked them what happened after that and was told that if I came back for 1 day towards the end of the 180 deay period then the 180 day counter started again when I returned to the continent. I also Googled for extended European cover and got positive results but cannot remember what the costs were.

[quote user="just john "]I have spoken to Saga, I changed from an estate to a Renault Trafic four years ago, and it seems the vehicle concerned is probably the reason, this required some persuasion last year to continue the all year round european cover despite the cover being social domestic and pleasure, not commercial, my car still enjoys these benefits whereas the Trafic has now been deemed commercial and therefore limited cover, a definite change in policy . . . NFU didn't even take details of vehicle before declining to give european cover.  

However it has caused me to review my insurance company and have found better terms and quotes elsewhere, I won't be renewing with Saga despite having two vehicles with them for over 8 years, still getting quotes and will update on my renewal.

[/quote]Going solely by your signature if you are French resident what are you doing insuring in UK ?

[quote user="AnOther"]  Going solely by your signature if you are French resident what are you doing insuring in UK ? [/quote]

My signature relates solely to my maison secondaire, which is an ongoing reno, hence the Trafic for bits too big for an estate, currently loaded up with tools that would fill an estate on their own (I've had two burglaries in France that cleaned out everything, even the paintbrush in a jar of cleaner), and kitchen bits. I'm UK resident but spend upto 6 months in France.

I know someone who lives and works in France but is insured with Saga because they had a UK address when they took out the insurance.  He says it's unlimited cover.   I feel uneasy about this!  He said to try them - the cover would be better - but it would be dishonest and anyway my insurance history includes  4 years in France.

I would like better breakdown cover here.  When we had an accident the insurance company got us home but we had no car for three weeks and had to make a long journey by train to collect our car.  What would have happened if we'd broken down in another country hundreds of miles away?

• 3 months later...

I too am with SAGA. However, the last time I renewed, I was placed with a new division called SAGA Direct. The problem with that is that they only give 90 day cover for Europe and not the full year as the normal SAGA policy did.

When I queried it, I was told that they could no longer insure my vehicle on the original terms but would not say why. I suspect it is because my renewal was at a much higher price so I let it lapse then reinsured the following day with them on the Internet. It saved me half of what the renewal price was.

I also checked the SAGA site a few days later and input the same type and year car, but with a different registration. Low and behold, they would insure it on the original terms with the full year European cover. Sour grapes by SAGA springs to mind and all for the £330 I saved by not taking up their renewal offer.

It is all spratts and mackerels - they insure for a low price the first year then hike the premium expecting you to pay it.

Technically, is Saga an insurance company or are they just brokers, i.e. scouring insurance companies (those that actuaslly take the risk) and quoting you for the best one.

I am insured via M&S which is merely a name and the actual brokers are BISL who administer for a number of 'names', such as RAC and BISL also own either Confused or the other irritating crowd who give you a toy with your insurance.

I had gone back to M&S last year and this year low and behold £200 more - up from £320 to £520. I had carried out a comparison check and was being quoted about the £320. So a chat to BISL and basically told that the first year is an introductory offer but they could do it for the £320. I let the insurance lapse and then did it via the compairson site, more out of bloody mindedness.

They seem to trade on the British trait of not wishing to change - hopefully that is now changing.

Paul

So true PaulT, likewise lumping your insurance in with the breakdown cover. They are separate insurances and therefore separate contracts and you get the best value by obtaining them separately.

Just re newed my annual EU breakdown cover for my van yesterday £59.84 inc via a master broker but actually green flag.

http://www.european-breakdown-cover.com/Home.aspx?a=278