Sat Nav replacement

just john

Just as I was cogitating which sat nav to replace my Tomtom with, the pcd terminal watsit has come loose and stopped charging the wretched thing so my decision has to be sooner rather than later, I had fancied the Garmin NuLink 1695 for a change against a TomTom 1005inch but checking Amazons reviews they both get poor reviews on software probs, postcodes, etc. Has anyone else done the research and made a happy choice?

[quote user="just john "]

I had fancied the Garmin NuLink 1695 for a change against a TomTom 1005inch but checking Amazons reviews they both get poor reviews on software probs, postcodes, etc. [/quote]

That is interesting as our son's TomTom died, he did lots of research and replaced it with this one by Garmin. He is delighted with it and used it to make his way from the north of England to us in Brittany, via Calais, successfully last month. As he had never driven in France before ... and he usually gets lost quite easily ... I was most impressed.

Edit: I must add that our son doesn't care too much for motorways so he chose the scenic routes ... and still didn't go wrong!

Sue

JJ, maybe take a look at one of my favorite sites for GPS  as reviewers, me included can only really comment on our old units vs the latest from 1 manufacturer. My Tomtom is around 8 years old (730 model) still works fine and I changed the battery last year. I don't buy updated maps just save the money and buy an updated unit, (generally faster processing and more memory) + additional features of course.  As I understand it the Garmin range changed the user interface after many years of asking stupid questions they now realise people just want get going quickly on their journeys so that has to be a major improvement to their range. They don't have the advanced traffic information of the Tomtom which is what is holding me back from changing but Tomtom units do not sync with a lot of mobile phones either so lots of lost functionality. Check that point out thoroughly before committing to a new purchase, it is my most major sticking point as there is no point in bells and whistles if you can't use em.

Thanks T, will look at the site later, My main requirement with some complicated junctions is speed of processing and uptodate maps, less concerned with connectivity, another is whether the memory card from my TT730 is interchangeable with any of the new models.

Problem no 1, Garmin supplied by amazon are from Germany, extra four days which I don't have, I noticed that the TT XXL seems to be one of the cheaper models, but with lots good recommendations, I have no problem with being a bit behind the cutting edge as long as it's quicker to process the route and slower to make my blood rise [;-)]

Dont be put off by the delay from Germany, its just they know how so many packages decide to go on a slow tour of all the depots once they reach France that they add the extra to cover themselves.

I ordered a bike baggage trailer (for my shopping) from Amazon.fr and the vendor was in Germany, it was quoted 20 days delivery, I placed the command on Sunday afternoon and it was with me Tuesday morning.

I doubt that many French vendors would have sent it out for 14 days especially during les vacances.

As we tow a Caravan I've recently upgraded to a Garmin Dezl 560.

It allows details of your vehicle/trailer etc to be entered in and warns of width/height and weight restrictions.

Brilliant bit of kit lightening fast, a decent speaker and a big screen.

I have two Web quotes for repairing my old TT, one in London while I wait for £30 and another via courier both ways from Tunbridge Wells @£60! (won't be happening). Having got used to my old TT the only real bugbear is the number of leads it wears out and the ridiculous charge for updating maps, having said that the Garmin free map updates are essentially paid for pop-up adverts!

I don't need simcard based traffic stuff et al, just show me the route . . . after a wearing route I've ended up at http://www.gpscompared.net/tomtom-start-60-europe-vs-garmin-nuvi-2595lmt/ still undecided, I like the idea of a new processor with a 6inch screen but I also like the idea of free map updates, even if there is a little popout occasionally! Have to decide by 4pm!

Hmm, decisions decisions, That may be a slightly skewed article as several of those features shown for the Garmin are available for the TomTom too.

I like the bluetooth capability of the Garmin, TomTom normally has that feature too, some digging needs to be done, what happens at 4pm?

I have a Garmin (can't remember the number) LMT and have found it very good. I do not get any "pop-up adverts" at all. I am however also about to try out the Navfree application for Android smartphones which uses the Open Streetmap system and can preload all the maps that you need over WiFi so you don't need data on the move. I recently purchased a Huawei smartphone with a 4" screen - they are around £100 - and at first glance it seems to be OK.

[quote user="Théière"] I like the bluetooth capability of the Garmin, TomTom normally has that feature too, some digging needs to be done, what happens at 4pm? [/quote]

4pm is the cut-off for guaranteed delivery for my timings, I'm veering toward the Garmin just to spite TomTom for their entrenched take on overpriced map updates.

[quote user="Pickles"]  I do not get any "pop-up adverts" at all. I am however also about to try out the Navfree application for Android smartphones which uses the Open Streetmap system and can preload all the maps that you need over WiFi so you don't need data on the move. I recently purchased a Huawei smartphone with a 4" screen - they are around £100 - and at first glance it seems to be OK.
[/quote]

I believe the pop-ups come with 'free map updates'; I've tried using my HTC for sat nav (though not with Navfree) but found battery life to be a problem, I'm sure this is the way to go next year when I update my phone, but in the meantime like the safety of a dedicated device for sat nav,

[quote user="just john "][quote user="Pickles"]  I do not get any "pop-up adverts" at all. I am however also about to try out the Navfree application for Android smartphones which uses the Open Streetmap system and can preload all the maps that you need over WiFi so you don't need data on the move. I recently purchased a Huawei smartphone with a 4" screen - they are around £100 - and at first glance it seems to be OK.

[/quote]

I believe the pop-ups come with 'free map updates';

[/quote]

Might be a more recent thing then: my Garmin is about a year old and I have downloaded all the free map updates without getting any pop-ups thus far. Ah ... Does the pop-up suggest that you go to mygarmin to buy updated speed camera info?

[quote user="just john "]I've tried using my HTC for sat nav (though not with Navfree) but found battery life to be a problem, I'm sure this is the way to go next year when I update my phone, but in the meantime like the safety of a dedicated device for sat nav,[/quote]

It might have been you who pointed out the battery life issue to me last year, when I was asking. As Navfree is free, I'll give it a whirl and see. However, there is one thing that I have already noticed: it cannot currently do "via" routings: it seems to be strictly point-to point at present: though this may change.

Incidentally, TomTom have also jumped on the "free upgrades for life" bandwagon for some models: obviously, as with Garmin, there is a premium to the purchase price but again it is small compared with the map upgrade price.

I've ordered the garmin (http://www.gpscompared.net/tomtom-start-60-europe-vs-garmin-nuvi-2595lmt/ ) a bit of compromise, no 6" screen but a decent reduction, 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts, Bluetooth and some of the better reviews on Amazon.

I'll update after a trial go, I hope it's plug and play . . . .

I have just replaced my very old one as the updates were no longer available . With this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-Car-GPS-SAT-NAV-128M-Free-Maps-Update-Bluetooth-UK-Seller-L14-/260924523778?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cc0504502

It does everything and I use it for picking people up from their homes and its very accurate . It comes with a mount that lets you position it on a heater blower vent grill on the dash so its not on the windscreen and out of sight .. It has a sound warning for cameras and speed limit if you want to put it on .Europe maps .

[quote user="Frederick"]I have just replaced my very old one as the updates were no longer available . With this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-Car-GPS-SAT-NAV-128M-Free-Maps-Update-Bluetooth-UK-Seller-L14-/260924523778?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cc0504502

It does everything and I use it for picking people up from their homes and its very accurate . It comes with a mount that lets you position it on a heater blower vent grill on the dash so its not on the windscreen and out of sight .. It has a sound warning for cameras and speed limit if you want to put it on .Europe maps .

[/quote]

WOW! That seems to be a decent machine - there seem to be several selling this device at prices down to £47. Upwards of £50 seems to be the going rate just for a year or two of upgrades for the branded machines.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Frederick"]I have just replaced my very old one as the updates were no longer available . With this

[/quote]

WOW! That seems to be a decent machine - there seem to be several selling this device at prices down to £47. Upwards of £50 seems to be the going rate just for a year or two of upgrades for the branded machines.

[/quote]

£ 47  !!!!    Now I am in tears ..  I wont  sleep tonight I hate missing a bargain !

[quote user="Benjamin"]That looks fabulous Frederick. Have you used in in France yet and how was the mapping?

[/quote]

Not yet Ben ...later this month .. I have a pal who got one and he has just driven to Malta where he has a place via Sicily  . He has got there !  He bought it as it also  has Malta in  the maps 

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="Pickles"]

[/quote]

£ 47  !!!!    Now I am in tears ..  I wont  sleep tonight I hate missing a bargain !

[/quote]

Don't lose sleep just yet: I'm not sure if the £47 version had a map update offer with it as well ...

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="just john "]I've tried using my HTC for sat nav (though not with Navfree) but found battery life to be a problem, I'm sure this is the way to go next year when I update my phone, but in the meantime like the safety of a dedicated device for sat nav,[/quote]

It might have been you who pointed out the battery life issue to me last year, when I was asking. As Navfree is free, I'll give it a whirl and see. However, there is one thing that I have already noticed: it cannot currently do "via" routings: it seems to be strictly point-to point at present: though this may change.[/quote]

Quick update: I am currently using the Navfree programme and although it has limitations, it is not bad at all. As mentioned previously, it cannot currently do "via" routings. It also needs a data connection (either WiFi or mobile data) to search for addresses: this isn't too much of an issue, but requires planning, and means that if you need to find a new address whilst en-route, you are scuppered (unless you turn on mobile data or browse the map manually). With the phone plugged into the car cigarette lighter socket adapter, there was no problem running the built-in GPS receiver with Navfree and using Bluetooth (for the car's hands-free kit) simultaneously: the phone (a 4" screen Huawei U8815 "Ascend") was in fact able to recharge. Voice instructions were delivered in time for turns etc and the map position kept up with the car's position. Route re-calculation (eg in response to ignoring instructions) was rapid. Speed reported on the screen was in agreement with the dedicated GPS. Map updates are issued every 2 months, based on the Open Street Map database.

For both Android and Apple devices, also worth considering is: http://blog.copilotlive.com/na/2012/05/09/free-copilot-gps-app-makes-its-debut-on-the-app-stores/

The application plus 1 country map is completely free. Once installed, you don't need a data connection as the mapping is already within your phone/tablet.

The map database can be extended, together with other add-on features, for reasonable cost.