Route planning cost effective tolls Angouleme to Bellagio

just john

Any advice on route planning from Angouleme to Bellagio? (and back) I have tried loads of route planners ( Google, AA, RAC, Michelin) and each gives different mileage, timing, fuel and worst of all, Tolls? I have a couple of days for the trip in the late Spring, and it is as much a Road Trip about the journey as the arrival. Fuel or mileage is not that much of problem but the Tolls seem to be almost as much doubling the cost of the trip!
Any help appreciated!

Thanks Thiere, and Andy, the tolls are the thing, on this journey at around 2.5 times the cost of the normal trip (similar mileage) I make down from the channel port to Angouleme (ie less than 40€ normally coming down, but over 100€ to go to Italy). I have done the route before, sometime in 2000, but I am not familiar with it enough to know if there are stretches of expensive tolls that could be avoided with an alternative stretch of Toll free Road?
I was hoping there were stretches of route that could be done Toll free? Any clues ?

Thanks Andy and Paul; Since I've got used to my sat-nav I've got a bit lazier and rarely pre-plan, but thought I'd better check tolls and scary they are!
http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2773280

Out of all the route planners Mappy.com seems to suit France particularly well, funny that, I assumed Michelin had it covered. Mappy is also better for budget hotels especially the smaller privately owned. all show similar mileage but different tolls, Michelin 'scenic' seemed best until I tried Mappy.

[quote user="Anton Redman"] Possibly too far South to consider but Via Michelin have probably not updated for Bordeaux Lyon being open

http://automobile.challenges.fr/actu-auto/20130118.LQA4011/a89-bordeaux-est-a-5-h-15-de-route-de-lyon.html   [/quote]

Exactly Anton, having just checked, a real eye opener that Michelin, that most French of Map companies, could be behind the status quo,
and a lesson about the shortcomings of relying solely on Sat Nav's

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Possibly too far South to consider but Via Michelin have probably not updated for Bordeaux Lyon being open

http://automobile.challenges.fr/actu-auto/20130118.LQA4011/a89-bordeaux-est-a-5-h-15-de-route-de-lyon.html

[/quote]

Thank you, AR.  So THAT'S why it keeps directing me all round the countryside when I can often see a more direct and perfectly good road than the ones they suggest! DUH

My test route is St Martin de Laye (33910) to

Tremolat(24510) . Michelin takes marginally under 2 hours and starts by taking

you though two sets of traffic lights. I have yet to find mapping software that

takes you North of the Autoroute at junction 13 before turning right prior to

Mussidan and going through Issac and Pont St Mamet.  That route takes just under 1 and a half

hours and is both shorter and quicker.