Buying french registered car

partout

Hello, would like to purchase a used car in france (dept52) and get it re registered to our address in 47, can this be done at the prefecture in 52. Reason for this is, we would go back tp collect some belongings in the Uk and then drive down to 47.

I thought that  you could choose whichever dept you would like to register the  car in and that it can be done at any prefecture.

Have I got this right, or am I barking up the wrong tree, if someone could be kind enough to advise.

Thanks

It can be done by post or in person. I am pretty sure you

have to be in the right Department. Second link is a more expensive way of

doing it by post.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1050.xhtml

http://www.cartegrisenationale.fr/?gclid=CNnEmcjX-bQCFcbLtAodt2oA2g

I also did not think the cars was meant to leave France till

it had been reregistered

Could be wrong but I thought that nowadays you could go along and do the registering procedure in any dept, but you have to register your car TO the dept where your principle residence is. So provided you had the right justificatifs for identity and address with you, you could register it via a prefecture or garage in 52 but if 47 is your principal residence then you just register it to that address and the taxes will be charged at the dept 47 rate (because each dept has its own rate of registration tax).

but I also seem to recall that you aren't allowed to drive outside of France on the temp certificate that you get on the spot, you have to wait until you get your carte grise ... which will be posted to your home address ... hmm.

Clever logistical plans have a way of foundering on French red tape, and this looks like another example.

You can now use any Prefecture, but as the new Certificates are issued centrally, it will be posted to your home address (in France)

I registered 2 cars recently and the certificates arrived the following day, so you could have someone post them from your home to where you are.

Still means waiting there 2 or maybe 3 days - provided La Poste doesn't disappoint!

As far as I know, you can choose to have any department number on the new plates.

I think the prohibition on leaving the country may only apply to imports whilst you are in the process of registering but still on UK plates.

The quittus fiscale officially places it under French jurisdiction.

AFAIK the system should allow you to register in any prefecture but whether it works in practice I don't know having never tried it myself.

[quote user="AnOther"]AFAIK the system should allow you to register in any prefecture but whether it works in practice I don't know having never tried it myself.

[/quote]

Well for whatever reason, Norert Dentresangle has stopped registering his vehicles in his home departement of 37 (he also used 69) and now regsiters in 60 - the same as many hire car comapnies.

There might just be a link.