Controle Technique appointment

CeeJay

Idun

Rather surprisingly I did not receive a reminder. Unfortunately due to circumstances I havn't driven this car since last November so didn't notice the CT had run out. It is a UK 807 which was re-registered in France 2 years ago when it had its initial CT.

€135 fine but no points loss - IF you get stopped !

Drive it to the CT station between 12 and 2 for best chance of NOT getting pulled [;-)]

Friend here with a collection of classics doesn't CT any of them, drives most of them so infrequently that he says it's cheaper to pay the fine if  and when caught but as of yet hasn't.

I have no idea of the legalities of it, but it's something I have done more than once, because I find it difficult to guarantee that I will be able to get to France at exactly the right time to ensure I get the CT done before (or when) it's due. And the CT centre I use DO send me a reminder, which isn't much use if the reminder is sent to my French house and I'm not there...

I don't think that the insurance would be completely invalid. I think that if there was an accident they would pay for damage done to another vehicule, but not to one's own car. I suppose it would be classed as third party even if one had fully comp.

I could be wrong about that, but I thought that that was how it worked.

Truth is that if it was me, I'd find out before driving and not just from a message board. I'd ask the CT place and even the insurance company and the gendarmes. But that is me, belt and braces when getting answers in France, as they can be so 'conflicting'.[Www]

EU directives on insurance prohibit the summary cancelling of cover, notice has to be given in writing therefore 3rd party cover is always in force regardless of the CT and the windscreen vignette will satisfy a gendarme on that score.

My friend arranges his insurance through a mutual friend who is a broker and a fellow classic car enthusiast and you can be assured that his cover is not compromised by having no CT, with cars worth in the range of €30 - €100k risks like that are not taken [;-)]

Have to say though with the change from bi-annual CT to 5 years he is at least starting to think of changing his policy and CT'ing one a year !

From Le Figaro

Cependant, si le certificat de passage du contrôle technique n'est plus valable et que l'assuré se rend responsable d'un accident, l'assurance auto peut décider de ne pas faire jouer la couverture. Dans ce cas, l'indemnisation des dommages matériels et corporels sont à la charge de l'assuré.

I assume the company would pay third party claims then recover as much of any payout, as they could, from the (ex) policy holder.

I went for 6 months or more without a CT last year, initially as I was fed up with doing any necessary repairs in January, (just look at the weather these last weeks) and then due to an airbag warning light problem that took a while to resolve.

All sorted now and the next time I will have to be bothering with thigs like that is summer 2014 [:D]

One great advantage of France over the UK for chancers, CT every 2 years and if you let it slip a while you are not driving around untaxed, the other thing I like is the penalty is quite moderate and if you submit a car for CT you can drive for another 2 months even if it fails.

Yes and IMO it's completely barmy because it means that now anybody can drag a completely rotten wreck from a barn, pump the tyres up, stick a gallon of petrol in it and be on the road with it 5 minutes later !

I'm sure genuine enthusiast owners of pre 60 vehicle will be delighted and responsible but unfortunately not everybody falls into that category so it's a chancers charter (with due apologies to our own Chancer of course !)