Driving license exchange............HGV medical!

Frank

Hi all, thought I would share this. neeeded to exchange my license from UK to French as photo card runs out soon. Anyway, long and short is, sent in documents via sous prefecture,  all checked (no proof mind lol) photo copies kept, the waited four weeks.  Received in the post this week all documents/application for etc and a covering letter instructing a medical is required for heavy goods!  Rang DVLA and they said due to automatic allcoation of hgv/mini bus permit for licenses pre '97!  Had the medical and I should get my license in due course.  The doc said the legislation keeps changing and had I applied in Dec, I wouldn't have had to have a medical! Anyway, thought I would share my tale as if anyone else has the same entitlements, you may be asked the same (which is weird for someone who goes no where need lorries!!!)  I shall now await the arrival of  my new permit conduire, which hopefully won't be too long. 

The legislation doesn't keep changing however there was a significant change in January which was part of the EU wide implementation of the latest directive on driving licences, your experience sounds like fall our from that.

I exchanged my licence in between Christmas and New Year partly to avoid such issues plus I wanted an old style 'for life' licence as it was supposed to change to time limited photocard style in January but because the French were not up to speed (they'd only had since 1998 to prepare after all !) that's been postponed until September.

Jimmy, your post doesn't seem clear to me; are you saying that you've had to have a medical even though you don't drive HGVs?? When I exchanged my licence there were 4 groups CC, DD, EB, EC and ED which I appear to have had some entitlement to (although never used or taken any test), but which would only be valid on my French licence if I undertook a medical before the expiry date, 1 or 2 years depending on the group, shown alongside.  I didn't have the medicals and now the entitlement will have lapsed. The only one I may have been interested in keeping is group EB (towing with combined weight over 3500kg) but I don't need it, my trailer and caravan are catered for in group BB.

We have discussed this before.

Hi Sid,

Yes I did have to have a medical because I had  mini bus and 7.5ton on my license as it was issued pre 97.  Whether I can remove it I don't know, I didn't try to be honest because it didn't occur to me it would be a problem,  According to the Doc, if I had started proceedings in Dec and not Jan, I wouldn't have had to do it, but as has already been said, it looks like it may be with all the new changes this yr.  He also said I would probably get a temporary paper license which will have to be changed next yr for the new card with finger print.  I will look into it further once I have my license and see if it can be removed before the next obligatory medical in 5yrs!

It really is easy.  If you do not need categories, when you exchange your licence, do not apply for them.

If you do not apply for categories that need a medical, you do not need a medical.

If however you apply for everything that was on your old licence - well then you will need a medical (unless you just had a bike licence of course.)

EDIT:  Sorry forgot the one difficulty.  You do have to sign that you are not renewing all categories - now how difficult is that?

It seems as if you may have fallen between two stools then and even though the French are not issuing the photocard licences until September they may be implementing the Jan 13th rules and issuing temporary licences in the interim.

Regarding the photocard AFAIK, and at the present moment at least, the chip function has been modified and curtailed - it was intended for it to act almost like a credit card to pay amendes on line etc. - and also fingerprinting has been abandoned.

Since we exchanged our licences in November and December, we have discovered that Limoges are now asking for a certified translation for the Uk driving licences, so be aware - that came in 19th January here. For many other legal stuff they have also been asking for certified translations of Uk birth and marriage certificates.

Thank you for all replies, especially the positive ones.  I am at a loss as to why, when posting what I thought was an innocent experience for a 'heads up' (similar to last posting) I find some postings to be less useful ?   Maybe its me being a bit sensitive or normal forum attitudes, don't know, but heigh ho, who cares, lifes too short!