Breath testers mandatory in all vehicles from Spring?

Pickles

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="redwood"] nipped into Halfords and bought a kit. [/quote]I wondered about that (as they're available on Amazon in various forms.)  Are there French standards one needs to look out for?[/quote]

Yes. They need to be marked "NF" and there is a specific standard referred to in the French law. According Halfords, theirs (retailing at £4.99 for a pack of 2) are NF marked.

[quote user="Pickles"]

Yes. They need to be marked "NF" and there is a specific standard referred to in the French law. According Halfords, theirs (retailing at £4.99 for a pack of 2) are NF marked.

[/quote][:-))]

Intermarche super at Savinge has them for sale with the motoring supplies, "NF" marked and 1 euro each[geek]

[quote user="Jo"][quote user="Pickles"]

[/quote][:-))]

Intermarche super at Savinge has them for sale with the motoring supplies, "NF" marked and 1 euro each[geek]

[/quote]

Just as well they are not marked "N F G"

Well you wn't get a ticket till November so I guess you can wait till your next trip and buy them in France at a much lower price. I have not seen them fr sale locally but then I have not really looked but I guess I better get one then it's something I won't have to worry about.

I know it's a slight change in subject but you are also required to keep a spare set of bulbs and fuses in your car. I am always amazed when driving at night how many cars seem to have a light not working. The worse of course is when a drivers side headlight goes. I have seen two accidents where people have overtaken on a wide road thinking that its a motorcycle coming the other way. I wonder how many people get 'done' for this each year and how many accidents they cause?

[quote user="Quillan"]I wonder how many people get 'done' for this each year[/quote]

Probably about the same number that get done for not having a gilet ...(!)

[quote user="Quillan"]and how many accidents they cause?[/quote]

Quite a few ... or at least it is a significant contributory factor in quite a few accidents, I would think.

[quote user="Pickles"] [quote user="Quillan"]I wonder how many people get 'done' for this each year[/quote]
Probably about the same number that get done for not having a gilet ...(!)
[quote user="Quillan"]and how many accidents they cause?[/quote]
Quite a few ... or at least it is a significant contributory factor in quite a few accidents, I would think. [/quote]

and how many of these will change their behaviour as a result of this measure?

[quote user="Quillan"]

Well you wn't get a ticket till November so I guess you can wait till your next trip and buy them in France at a much lower price. I have not seen them fr sale locally but then I have not really looked but I guess I better get one then it's something I won't have to worry about.

I know it's a slight change in subject but you are also required to keep a spare set of bulbs and fuses in your car. I am always amazed when driving at night how many cars seem to have a light not working. The worse of course is when a drivers side headlight goes. I have seen two accidents where people have overtaken on a wide road thinking that its a motorcycle coming the other way. I wonder how many people get 'done' for this each year and how many accidents they cause?

[/quote]

The problem is of course getting in to the headlights to change the bulb. We carry a full set of spare but on the occasion of one going we couldn't get into the headlight to change the bulb! This must be the case in a lot of cars. What is the use of having the bulbs if you can't change them?

"I know it's a slight change in subject but you are also required to keep a spare set of bulbs and fuses in your car."

I don't think this is true.

You could be fined for having a blown bulb, but if you able to replace it immediately when stopped, you may get away with it.

[quote user="derf"](Quoting Quillan)"I know it's a slight change in subject but you are also required to keep a spare set of bulbs and fuses in your car."

You could be fined for having a blown bulb, but if you able to replace it immediately when stopped, you may get away with it.[/quote]

(My bold) Which pretty much requires instant access to bulbs, ergo you need a bulb kit ... (?)

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="derf"](Quoting Quillan)"I know it's a slight change in subject but you are also required to keep a spare set of bulbs and fuses in your car."

You could be fined for having a blown bulb, but if you able to replace it immediately when stopped, you may get away with it.[/quote]

(My bold) Which pretty much requires instant access to bulbs, ergo you need a bulb kit ... (?)

[/quote]

It may be sensible, but it's not a requirement, unlike the breathalyser and gilet.

Yes I think Ill wait until we get back to France in a couple of weeks and hopefully get cheap ones at the supermarket - our kids who come over to visit are hoping we get theirs too !!! so they had better be cheap !!!!

Looks like it - just heard from a relative who works for an international company the HR have emailed all staff who coud travel to France that the law comes in on 1st July with a greace period until autumn (I think November). The breath kits are avaiable on Amazon for a couple of pounds.

Got the impression that rather than testing yourself before driving, it is for when the Gendarmes stop you they will use your breathalyser first, therefore saving the cost of sterilizing theirs should your test prove negative[blink] After a positive result on yours, they will then use their own, more accurate ( hopefully!![:D] ), one in the event of needing a prosecution.

[quote user="Gardener"]At 1€ each, I now have a couple in the car. The shelf life for the kit is 2014, in the unlikely event that either of us feel the need to test ourselves we can do so and still have spares. I think they are a great idea.[/quote]

• 1 month later...