breakdown cover for a french car

Deby

German efficiency! When we broke down the French services asked us what the postcode was? How are we supposed to know that? Fortunately there was a supermarket nearby and we asked there, goodness only knows what would happen if you break down in the middle of nowhere.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cover is to the next Garage for a repair, if they cannot fix it within 3 days (the aim is to fix there and then) or at Garage they will return car to base. Meanwhile they will pay 64e per night per person limit 3 persons plus breakfast. Not bad I thought. My car is old too - a 24 year old VW Golf - bless her. SHe has survived the odd break-in, badger-hit and the French roads! The cover is with me and spouse, plus I can nominate someone else to use my car and they are covered too. I can also use my cover is someone else's car, plus there is some medical cover involved too. God love those Germans!

A very good deal and it covers all the bases, as hard up as I am this is probably one thing that I must do despite already having the breakdown cover bundled with my insurance.

Glad the thread is back on topic, my apologies for being led astray.

its relevant in making a comparison with the other RTB breakdown services like AA Relay, RAC recovery and I believe National breakdown who either wont cover cars over a certain age (10 years perhaps) or charge a lot more.

The other Pan european ones like Mondiale assistance and Europ assistance I believe have similar restrictions.

A shame as a reasonably maintaned 10 year old vehicle is probably more reliable than a new complicated one, certainly more likely to be easily fixable at the side of the road or at the local garage.

A cautionary tale from a caravan forum:

[quote]

This was posted on another forum, and is rather worrying for those who have joined ADAC for cheap British and European cover:

I joined ADAC two and bit years ago, mainly because of the

positive comments by others on this and other forums.   I took the

"Partner Plus" package as it covered my wife and I any where in Europe

including the UK.

In 2011 whilst on the way to Dover I had a puncture on the

caravan,  I called Munich and they sent out the AA to asist me.     In

November I had a puncture on my car, I called Munich again, they sent

the AA to asist.   I called them again in January

this year for a sticking accelarator. Again the AA assisted.

I renewed my membership in January 2012 for the second year.

At the end of 2012 I had letters from them inviting me to renew my membership for 2013.  I paid by credit card on 31 Jan 2013.

Two weeks later I had a letter from them telling me that the

package that I had paid for was being downgraded because of these three

events, all in the UK. The downgraded package would only cover me for

Germany, not the UK or any other country except

Germany.    I wrote to them saying this was unacceptable and asked for

them to cancel the plan and refund my 98.20 euros.

They offered to refund 33.75 euros, the difference between the

two packages and told me I would be a member on the lower version until

31 Jan 2014.

[/quote]

I'm sure similar "conditions" exist with other providers and it's not limited just to ADAC.

My own current provider lists "Fail to service and maintain the vehicle in line with manufacturer guidelines" as a reason not to provide assistance, and render cancellation of the policy.

No doubt a quick glance at the vehicle service handbook would be sufficient to satisfy that the vehicle has been maintained.

Application of the usual caveat of "Buyer Beware" seems appropriate.

Thanks Salty Sam for that, I guess its 3 strikes and your an insurance risk. The exclusions should have been explained to the member.

I still think it is a worthwhile insurance for me. I looked at my AA cover, top band we have and there were exclusions for any car over 10 years old.

ADAC didn't wish to know the age of the car, they informed me it was irrelevant. I was keen to ensure that if I took out and paid for cover I would get some.

At the moment it is very competitive, but the proof will be if I need to use it. Fingers crossed 'no' but I have some degree of comfort knowing that if I broke down in the middle of the Massif Centrale someone would help me.

Salty Sam, that's an interesting comment from the caravan forum. Personally I think it's pathetic if you have to call out a breakdown service for punctures (unless more than one happens at the same time, as has happened when vehicles have run over metal spillages on the roadway).

All this does is bump up the cost for all the other members who maintain their cars and can do the simple things themselves. Changing a wheel... really!!!! It ranks with running out of fuel.

I was on site with the caravan some years ago when the German guy on the next pitch fell and broke his collar bone; I saw it happen, quite innocuous, but a visit to the nearest hospital in Dax confirmed the fracture. He telephoned ADAC who sent a driver form Germany. The ADAC guy arrived early next morning, hitched up the caravan and drove the family home (because that's what they opted to do). I thought it was great service and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The family were much relieved.

Breakdown cover with French insurance policies is nothing more than a recovery service. If that is enough, and it suits me at the present time, I don't see any need for anything more (yet!).

If you feel that you'd like the choice of being taken home or to your onward destination, then a service like ADAC is best, but you'll have to pay for it.

Complicated new cars versus old well-maintained ones? I'm not sure about this; new cars are supposed to be more reliable, whereas old cars are more likely to have parts failing through age or wear? I can see both sides of this argument. It's very annoying when you get excluded though!

[quote user="sid"]Salty Sam, that's an interesting comment from the caravan forum. Personally I think it's pathetic if you have to call out a breakdown service for punctures (unless more than one happens at the same time, as has happened when vehicles have run over metal spillages on the roadway).

All this does is bump up the cost for all the other members who maintain their cars and can do the simple things themselves. Changing a wheel... really!!!! It ranks with running out of fuel.[/quote]

I agree entirely ... and yet, the current advice (according to the highway code) is that if you break down on a motorway, you should not attempt even simple repairs, but instead phone for help.

[quote user="sid"]

Salty Sam, that's an interesting comment from the caravan forum. Personally I think it's pathetic if you have to call out a breakdown service for punctures (unless more than one happens at the same time, as has happened when vehicles have run over metal spillages on the roadway).

All this does is bump up the cost for all the other members who maintain their cars and can do the simple things themselves. Changing a wheel... really!!!! It ranks with running out of fuel.

[/quote]

Pathetic you may think Sid, but also spare a thought for those of limited mobility, advancing years, or strength issues battling to undo wheel nuts with a flimsy wheel brace. One could also question the vulnerability of a lone female with a puncture in a remote location!

I think there are too many possible scenarios to just discount calling a breakdown service for changing a wheel, as pathetic!

I'm pleased to say that there are 32 pages of maintenance instructions and in my learner driver's copy of  "Code de la Route", including checking tyres, oil and battery, and I wonder how many of these "helpless" drivers would have the first idea where to even look.

I taught my all family how to change a wheel, check fluid levels etc, as the first things when they learned to drive.

I'm quite happy to stop and help someone change a wheel, but calling out the breakdown service three times a year, really, there should be a charge for it.

"Hello, is that ADAC? My airconditioning is blowing in my face!" [Www]

I'll pit my MGB against a modern car any day and show stopper catastrophes excepted if it did happen to breakdown it's simplicity plus a few strategic spares in the boot ensure that my chances of getting going again are vastly greater.

In 27 years and over 220,000 miles I've had a few moments but have yet to need to call for assistance to get going again and never failed to reach my destination.

And yet, so many  brand spanking new cars have not got a spare anyway[Www] so that is one less problem to worry about changing when one gets a flat tyre. Some sort of 'bombe' (cannot think of the english word) is provided instead.

Actually I'd worry more not less !

1. It's completely useless for any thing other than a simple puncture - my

last puncture was courtesy of a shard of glass which ripped a gash in

the side wall and was still embedded in it.

2. It's only supposed to be an emergency temporary repair to get you to a place where you can have it fixed properly.

3. The gunk can render a tyre unrepairable which in France of course will more likely than not cost you a pair of new ones when you do try and get it repaired properly.

Give me a proper spare any day !

[quote user="sid"]

I'm pleased to say that there are 32 pages of maintenance instructions and in my learner driver's copy of  "Code de la Route", including checking tyres, oil and battery, and I wonder how many of these "helpless" drivers would have the first idea where to even look.

[/quote]

I fall into your helpless driver category due, mostly, to arthritis and advancing years but I can, and do, check tyres, oil and battery.

You sound very healthy and young so bear a thought for those of us who are not so fortunate.

Sue

Edit : Do feel free to sob with compassion [Www] [blink] [:)]

[quote user="dave21478"]Breakdown services like AA or RAC do not exist in France.  [/quote]

That's a remarkable statement, and I've heard something similar from other people.

My (French) insurers will pay for a roadside repair if it can be done within 30 minutes, otherwise they will pay for the car to be towed to a garage.  If it can be repaired within 48 hours they will pay for up to 3 nights in a hotel for me and my passengers.  If not, they will pay for us either to continue to our destination or to return home, whichever I choose.  In either case they will pay for me to go back to the garage later to recover the car.   The cover applies in any of the countries listed on the green card (except Iran, which is probably not an important exclusion for most people.) 

There are various other things they will provide – including psychiatric help in the case of a serious incident! – and there are of course some limits and conditions, but nothing that I would call unreasonable.  And it's a standard policy.  The only add-on I have is the "zero-km" option.

Of course I don't know what this costs, because it's buried in the total premium.  But can you really get something better from the AA or RAC or ADAC?

[quote user="allanb"]

Of course I don't know what this costs, because it's buried in the total premium.  But can you really get something better from the AA or RAC or ADAC?

[/quote]

Yes, recovery to your home.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="dave21478"]Breakdown services like AA or RAC do not exist in France.  [/quote]

That's a remarkable statement, and I've heard something similar from other people.

[/quote]

What I would understand Dave to be saying is that there is no organisation in France which has the "patrols" which are the USP of the AA and RAC in the UK (and ADAC in Germany and ÖAMTC in Austria?). Breakdown recovery services in France provided via car insurance policies are more like the UK's "Green Flag" service, which uses local franchised garages.

Yes that is the case - if you read my earlier post a friend's car was returned to the UK from France even though it could have been repaired (bust Turbo on a Citroen diesel) at a local garage.

The advantage to those of us handy on the tools is the 48 hour limit for repairs in the garage, I'm pretty sure my cover bundled with my motor insurance doesnt have that but I will check, except I cant as I am now on my 3rd insurer and none of them will let me have sight of the terms and conditions.

With ADAC and with that condition I would be very confident, most French garages would take an age even to order the parts and faced with having to communicate via a translator I reckon they wouldnt even bother to do a devi unless it was a clear and simple fault within their experience.

French friends who broke down about 15km from home in a Citroen Picasso had the vehicle taken to a garage another 30km further away, they had no choice and were then held to ransom by the garage and the bill was so high that they wont discuss it, they say next time they will call out a depanneur themselves and pay them to take the vehicle back to their house.

And then my other friend with the Mazda had an experience at the other end of the spectrum, the guy tried to diagnose the fault and couldnt so towed and stored the vehicle and let the insurance do the rest, taxi, hotel, hire car etc. Its taken us a couple of weeks to find the real root cause of the breakdown, we got it running but the real cause remained hidden until now.

I spent the night recently at a motorway services rather than use the breakdown cover, I was concerned that being a long way from home I could be kissing goodbye to the vehicle, in hindsight now that I know how to purge the injection system on my vehicle the depanneur could well have done the same thing and got me going within 30 minutes and it would have cost me nothing, but would he have done? Or would I have been treated like the first set of friends?

[quote user="Chancer"]

The advantage to those of us handy on the tools is the 48 hour limit for repairs in the garage, I'm pretty sure my cover bundled with my motor insurance doesnt have that ...........

With ADAC and with that condition............

[/quote]

There is no 48hr "rule" with ADAC as far as I am aware and my friend who had his car returned to the UK said they gave him a choice of a hotel till his car was repaired, a hire car etc. Perhaps if someone knows better they could enlighten us.

Added: Your friends who broke down 15km away, then 30km further to garage = 45km would not be covered by ADAC under their 50Km rule. My insurance broker said it is often possible to negotiate with the services and have your car returned home if it is less distance than to a main dealer, I wouldn't bet money on it though.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="dave21478"]Breakdown services like AA or RAC do not exist in France.  [/quote]

My (French) insurers will pay for a roadside repair if it can be done within 30 minutes, otherwise they will pay for the car to be towed to a garage.  If it can be repaired within 48 hours they will pay for up to 3 nights in a hotel for me and my passengers.  If not, they will pay for us either to continue to our destination or to return home, whichever I choose.  In either case they will pay for me to go back to the garage later to recover the car.   The cover applies in any of the countries listed on the green card (except Iran, which is probably not an important exclusion for most people.) 

There are various other things they will provide – including psychiatric help in the case of a serious incident! – and there are of course some limits and conditions, but nothing that I would call unreasonable.  And it's a standard policy.  The only add-on I have is the "zero-km" option.

[/quote]

Like I said - Breakdown services like AA and RAC do not exist in France. There is no national company that you can buy standalone breakdown cover from. Breakdown cover is offered by vehicle insurers. I don't KNOW, but would guess that the level of cover and terms and conditions vary from insurer to insurer....certainly my own insurer offers a tiny fraction of the services yours does.

As said, they rely on local garages to do the actual work, so the service received will be entirely dependant on the training and mood of the mechanic that turns up, rather than a nation-wide fleet of employees all trained to the same standards.

I know for a fact that anyone breaking down within a radius of my village and who calls their insurer for assistance will get very poor service from the po-faced, miserable old bastard that runs the one and only breakdown truck within 30 kilometers. If the call occurred during the night or during one of his bloody petanque matches, he probably wouldn't even bother to attend.

[quote user="Chancer"]

French friends who broke down about 15km from home in a Citroen Picasso had the vehicle taken to a garage another 30km further away, they had no choice and were then held to ransom by the garage and the bill was so high that they wont discuss it, they say next time they will call out a depanneur themselves and pay them to take the vehicle back to their house. [/quote]

This is not unusual, sadly. A woman I know got stranded about 100km from home with a snapped timing belt. The insurers had the car towed to the main dealership nearest where she was stuck. The repair bill was astronomical and it all degenerated into a three way shite-flinging contest between her, the garage who held the car and the local mechanic who had fitted the timing belt a couple of weeks previously. The garage with the car started racking up daily storage charges and it all ended up in court. The whole process took about 18 months and the only people who won were the lawyers, as despite finding in her favour she was still left several thousand euros out of pocket. She had by then just bought a replacement car anyway. With hindsight, she should have just called any garage willing to transport the car to her home and taken the loss for towing and repairs herself.