Changing the Carte Grise.

Jo

I have just purchased a french registered car and need to change the CG, I have all the paperwork but need to include a cheque, any ideas how much for? The prefecture is 40 mins away so I would rather post the stuff than make a special journey. I could ask at the prefecture in Confolens only 10 mins away, but it's in a different department and I'm not sure the cost would be the same. It has the new style number so I don't need to change that, I suppose I could always include a blank cheque............

[quote user="Jo"]I have just purchased a french registered car and need to change the CG, I have all the paperwork but need to include a cheque, any ideas how much for? The prefecture is 40 mins away so I would rather post the stuff than make a special journey. I could ask at the prefecture in Confolens only 10 mins away, but it's in a different department and I'm not sure the cost would be the same. It has the new style number so I don't need to change that, I suppose I could always include a blank cheque............[/quote]

Never ever include a blank cheque for anything. You'll have signed it so given permission for 'anyone' to write what they want on it.

Whatever you do you must make a copy of the paperwork before you send it off.

It`s not uncommon for the paperwork to get `lost` whilst being processed.

If you go to the prefecture with all the relevant forms at least they will issue you with a certificate (of Sorts) that you can present to the police if stopped.

I say this because not all local prefectures will issue a CG there and then, my partner had no end of trouble getting her new CG after it was `lost` between the main office in Limoges and the local prefecture. Despite both offices having records of receiving it and forwarding it back and forth neither office accepted liability and she had to fork out a hefty sum to re register. It was like banging your head against a very thick brick wall!

Good luck.

Dexter   

Ah! Of course! Thanks sweet17. Have just told a friend I intend to do it by post, they had a dicky fit!! Said if I thought the journey too long I'd be better off taking a hotel for the night than leaving it to the post!!! He's been here 25 years, does he know something I don't??? (He was exaggerating about the journey time!!)

Well, Jo, what's the difference if a garage were to send it?

AFAIK, when we bought our French car second-hand from a garage, the garagiste just sent everything off for us and, if memory serves, I think it came back in approximately 10 days.

As long as you send the lot by registered post, I personally don't think it's a big deal.

In all events, good luck, Jo!  I understand exactly how you feel about doing these long journeys to unfamiliar places on your own.  Since my OH is now forbidden to drive (temporary, I hope) I also have this dread of driving to large towns whose roads are confusing and full of traffic [+o(]