Driving in Italy

Mrs Trellis

We have driven to Bergamo from the Alpes and do a loop. One way we go through the Frejus Tunnel and the road to Turin is great these days, then motorway to Milan and onwards. And the other way is through Switzerland into Austria and at Innsbruk down the Brenner Pass. Both fantastic routes as far as I am concerned and glorious whether the loop is clockwise or anti clockwise.

Anything special in Italy. Well, I have quite a few italian friends and one of them won't leave anything of value in her car when she leaves it. Once she and another friend were collecting something of value in Italy they slept in the car when they needed a break. Hard to say really, I do know people who have had problems with their vehicules being broken into in Italy. So just be sensible and cautious.

Just the usual really

1. Hard wire the car's horn to the ignition

2. The rear view mirror is only for making sure one's hair looks good

[6]

Seriously though, the advice given above is correct.  If leaving the car for any time, try and find a secure and monitored car park, of which there are many.  Most hotel car parks seem to be patrolled at night (at least where I have stayed) park there and you'll be OK.

I know it's a stereotype but far from being a communal effort, driving in Italy is a 'winner takes all' event.  last time I went with an Italian friend, his whole demeanour changed as we came out of the Gotthard tunnel and he became a very agressive driver.

Also there are now very many speed cameras especially on the Autostrada.  They look like large grey dustbins at the side of the road.

Last year we drove to Venice from France, we went through the Frejus tunnel and onto the autostrada, we found the first two or three toll booths you just put your credit card in the slot to pay, you will then get to another booth with the slot, put the credit card in, nothing happens, hear some message in Italian that you don't understand, someone shouts press the red button, try and get the credit card out of the slot, after a couple of minutes manage to get card out, press button, ticket comes out of said slot, continue journey.

Autostrada was three lanes wide, slow lane was full of lorries, middle lane was used by lorries to pass slower lorries usually about 3 MPH faster  then slower vehicle so it took ages, outside lane was used by the Ferrari works team roadtesting their cars. Typical Roman road straight and smooth.

But Venice was worth it.

Depends on when you travel you may be lucky

Thanks! Venice is always worth it, but not this time.

I seem to remember Italian drivers beeping, flashing and zooming past.  We are going north of Cahors (to drop dogs off at kennels) and across from Brive via Clermont Ferand, Lyon, Turin.  10 hours at least.

Can you not use cash in toll booths?

Mrs T.

Re the question "can you not use cash at the toll booths"

Sorry can't remember if the first few were manned or not, it was the navigator who paid for the tolls, if not manned I assume it was chuck the coins in a basket ( thats if you had the money to start with) paying by card was a lot easier then scrabbling around for the correct change.

Have a good trip. The scenery is stunning on the trip to the Frejus tunnel, (if you are going that way) we went at the end of April and the mountains were still full of snow, in fact the passes were still closed to traffic

It's a few years since we were driving there, but I remember that the autostradas seemed to have narrower lanes than normal and were poorly surfaced. This was Bologna to Florence in particular, then down to Naples. I wasn't very impressed. Driving through Naples is a nightmare! The worst place I've ever driven!

It's simple - everyone has right of way at all times. Road signs and traffic lights are merely suggestions rather than commands and if there is any doubt, priority goes to whoever is moving fastest / has the loudest horn / has the most expensive sunglasses.

[quote user="sid"]

It's a few years since we were driving there, but I remember that the autostradas seemed to have narrower lanes than normal and were poorly surfaced.  Driving through Naples is a nightmare! [/quote]

Can't comment if the lanes were narrow or not on our trip to Venice, but whats the point of narrow or wide lanes if drivers don't stay in them, I commented on the lorries overtaking slower ones on an earlier post, usually they just pulled out to the middle lane without any signals and continued to overtake slowly the slow vehicle.

The road in our bit of Italy was smooth and boy was it straight for miles, Exits and entrances  to the autostrada seemed to be in short supply though.

Naples, we went through on a coach back to the airport once, totally amazed no motorcyclists were killed on that trip.

Thanks Dave, that made me laugh.

Oh dear, my sunglasses are not designer ones, just Specsavers...

I'm reminded of when we were hitchhiking many years ago and ended up in Sicily with some Americans.  They explained that every junction was a game of chicken - people drove out without looking and mostly they survived intact.  As for pedestrian crossings - something to aim at.