Télépeage Contracts

tonyinfrance

[quote user="tonyinfrance"]

Time to purchase a télépeage device: can anyone tell me if there are any special offers available?

My friend in Vaucluse has a contract whereby he pays nothing for the months he doesn't use it and I'd like something similar....

Many thanks

[/quote]

The Alis telepeage badge costs nothing, whether you use it or not (www.alis-sa.com). The only advantage of the telepeage badge from your local autoroute network is that if you use a certain (usually limited) section very frequently, you may get a discount that makes it worth the monthly fee. 

You may want to consult the liber-t website..

Whilst unfortunately the main part is not (yet) available in English, a lot of the individual autoroute companies are. Click on your most used route or autoroute and it will take you to the operator's offers. Or just click on any of them and see what their current tariffs and offers are. You can order online so it shouldn't matter which one you opt for.

There were comparative websites with most of the deals, but a quicj look reveals that they haven't been updated for some time

[url]http://www.telepeagelibert.com/adoptez-liber-t/adoptez-liber-t.htm[/url]

[quote user="ColinE"]

Hi.

Sorry but that is not true, I have one and had it for three years, on an English credit card. Mine is with SANEF.

ColinE

[/quote]

Maybe for existing clients its true ( for the time being anyway) but new clients have to pay via a French bank account. This was from 01.01.2011 as per Sanef.

Have heard that by the end of 2012 the option to pay SANEF France using a English card debit or credit will end, These customers will get an option of signing up to the UK offshoot if you want to continue paying in sterling. Of course the monthly fee is higher then the French site.

Guys - many thanks for your advice.  I can't understand why the majority of péage users still use cash or card when the tag appears to be low cost and highly convenient.........are the tolls the same for tags as for cash/card?

A further question: do you know if they will deliver to a UK address?  We've had a Britline account for several years so billing is no problem but if delivery to a French address is required I'll have to coordinate with my pal in Carpentras.

Thanks again.

To answer tonyinfrance's question: I have an Alis doofer that I have had for over a year and I have never used it yet, and the reason is quite simply that I prefer to pay as I go. Same principle as having a credit card and not using that either. When I got the doofer I thought I would use it to avoid the queues, and probably if I ever encountered a massive queue I would. But so far it hasn't happened. Maybe I subconsciously like the personal contact and the smile and 'bonne route' you get from the girls at the booths, or maybe I want to keep the operators in a job, because I also almost invariably go to the manned booths even though I always pay by card ...

Actually there is another reason why I don't use it in the motorhome, and that is because I've heard or read that the automatic system routinely charges motorhomes as poids lourds because it registers the height. I believe there is something you can do to override that, can anyone explain?

Thanks SD.  Our normal routes are Rouen past Le Mans to La Fleche (no queues on that route) and Rouen via Versailles to Carpentras in 84:  we've seen some hefty queues on that leg and since we have scheduled 3 trips to Carpentras this year it's time to get myself organised.

I'm even contemplating a Tom Tom type device to warn me of any major holdups on the route although I've heard the continental traffic alert service is not as reliable as the UK's...

[quote user="tonyinfrance"]

Guys - many thanks for your advice.  I can't understand why the majority of péage users still use cash or card when the tag appears to be low cost and highly convenient.........are the tolls the same for tags as for cash/card?

A further question: do you know if they will deliver to a UK address?  We've had a Britline account for several years so billing is no problem but if delivery to a French address is required I'll have to coordinate with my pal in Carpentras.

Thanks again.

[/quote]

Our Alis doofer was delivered to a UK address with no problem.

Apart from any monthly fee the cost is identical however you pay although with some operators you can get a small discount on a regularly used section.

I think the French use cash for the same reason they still pay by cash or cheque at the shops and supermarkets, i.e. they are more careful with their money and like to keep tabs on what they spend, a bit like we Brits used to do in another era [;-)]

I don't think they do not tend to travel so much either.

If you use the peage a lot then the costs can mount up, we've had bills well in excess of €100 on a couple of occasions. One tiny advantage of taking a ticket is that you always know if you are entering or leaving a section which believe me can be quite hard to keep track of on longer or unfamiliar journeys, not that it makes any difference to the cost of course.

AnOther mentioned costs mounting up - they do for us, as we drive from the Tunnel down to the Gard and back a few times each year. But it does make for a quicker journey; I well remember driving up and down through France in pre-autoroute days - pretty, but pretty slow too!

We have French friends and neighbours who wouldn't dream of going on the autoroute - why would they want somebody up there to know their business? They will drive for many extra kilometres when we're going out on group visits or meeting up for walks, rather than take to the autoroute. That's before they start on the cost! 

[quote user="AnOther"]One tiny advantage of taking a ticket is that you always know if you are entering or leaving a section which believe me can be quite hard to keep track of on longer or unfamiliar journeys, not that it makes any difference to the cost of course.
[/quote]

With  Alis, on the confirmation that is sent to you of how much is being stopped by bank payment, your journey including entry and exit points are all listed on the back of the bill. Also car park locations if you use them. 

Again, many thanks for your advice and comments.

I found that SANEF now have a UK company: the tag costs more from them but billing and admin are in UK which might be rather convenient. Their site does mention that payment of French tag accounts by UK credit card will be phased out by the end of this year -

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support

This might be of interest to those who've has a tag for some time and currently pay by UK credit card.....

Just for the record, Alis has no problems with using a French address that is not the address used for the bank account. (our bank account's address is that of our home in the UK, whereas the badge - and previously the paper statements - was delivered to a French address).

• 5 months later...
Just a "heads-up" for people who are tempted by the Alis offer. I noticed today that the Ts and Cs for new contracts for the Alis "Liber-t confort" doofer/badge/tag have changed. The doofer is now delivered free, and there is no monthly fee whether you use it or not - same as before - BUT:

If you do not use it on Alis's bit of autoroute (A28 Alencon-Rouen) at least 15 (FIFTEEN) times in the FIRST year (only), then they will charge you a once-off fee of 20€ on the anniversary of the contract. This restriction ends after the first year, and no further fees are charged thereafter (tolls, obviously are still charged).

[quote user="Pickles"]Just a "heads-up" for people who are tempted by the Alis offer. I noticed today that the Ts and Cs for new contracts for the Alis "Liber-t confort" doofer/badge/tag have changed. The doofer is now delivered free, and there is no monthly fee whether you use it or not - same as before - BUT:

If you do not use it on Alis's bit of autoroute (A28 Alencon-Rouen) at least 15 (FIFTEEN) times in the FIRST year (only), then they will charge you a once-off fee of 20€ on the anniversary of the contract. This restriction ends after the first year, and no further fees are charged thereafter (tolls, obviously are still charged).

[/quote]

That's a bit sneaky!

I've just replaced an Alis badge that I have had for the last four years, because the battery was flat. They were very quick: I e-mailed and they sent a new badge immediately. But I don't think I have used their stretch of autoroute even once in the last four years, and I'll be looking to see if they take the extra €20 next year. However, I suspect/hope this charge is "new customers only".

[quote user="Araucaria"][quote user="Pickles"]Just a "heads-up" for people who are tempted by the Alis offer. I noticed today that the Ts and Cs for new contracts for the Alis "Liber-t confort" doofer/badge/tag have changed. The doofer is now delivered free, and there is no monthly fee whether you use it or not - same as before - BUT:

[/quote]

That's a bit sneaky!

I've just replaced an Alis badge that I have had for the last four years, because the battery was flat. They were very quick: I e-mailed and they sent a new badge immediately. But I don't think I have used their stretch of autoroute even once in the last four years, and I'll be looking to see if they take the extra €20 next year. However, I suspect/hope this charge is "new customers only".

[/quote]

If you replace your badge then it is still on your old contract and you will not be charged: this is only for new contracts, and it still compares well with the offerings of other providers, even if you end up paying the once-off 20€.