Question re Berlingo roofbars

Chrissie

Sorry, this is probably a really silly question.  We have been looking for a high-seated vehicle and this afternoon saw a nice 2nd hand Berlingo, which we will consider.  Only now remembered that it had roof bars.  Would these normally be removable?  It's just that we have a really good top box with lateral bars which I would like to keep if poss.........

Thanks in advance

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]Sorry, this is probably a really silly question.  We have been looking for a high-seated vehicle and this afternoon saw a nice 2nd hand Berlingo, which we will consider.  Only now remembered that it had roof bars.  Would these normally be removable?  It's just that we have a really good top box with lateral bars which I would like to keep if poss.........[/quote]

Errr ... why would you want to get rid of the roof bars? All you need to do is to change the feet on your existing lateral bars ...

Presumably, you'd need to change the feet anyway unless you already have the same model of Berlingo (but sans roof bars)?

On my Berlingo the roofbars run from front to back, but can be unscrewed with a Torx screwdriver and placed across the vehicle, from one side to the other. I then place my topbox on those bars. My topbox fittings are adjustable to allow for fitting to various spacings of roofbars. When I am not using the roofbox I return the bars to their 'front to back' position (aesthetically more pleasing).

Thanks for all that - will clearly have to ask the dealer whether bars are removable.  Don't fancy putting top box bars onto fixed bars as that would leave quite a gap between the box and the roof of the car, but at the end of the day getting the right car is more important than using the box at all!

All of you with Berlingos - are you happy?  I was a little put off by the single tailgate.  Also wondered whether it would be a hard thing to park when not used to the shape (goodness, that sounds pathetic!)

Chrissie (81)

I love my Berlingo. The single piece tailgate makes getting things in and out very easy, and the rear sliding doors make the interior very accessible. We also had a towbar fitted, so travel back and fro between France and England with topbox, trailer, and the inside packed to the roof - the Berlingo never misses a beat! We have had ours 6 years and, apart from windscreen wipers, have only had to replace two front tyres, brake pads and front brake discs.

Chrissie

I am fairly sure that only some of the Berlingo models have roof rails that can be unscrewed from their front to back position and turned through 90 degrees to go across the car instead. I think - others may know better - that it's just the models with all the roof storage compartments inside the car. The allen key (or perhaps it is a torx driver?) for doing it slots into a niche inside the compartment under the roof that's accessible after opening the tailgate. If in doubt, instead of looking on the roof, look inside that storage compartment - if there's a small metal key there you can swap the rails around.

That said, I am pretty sure all Berlingos (including ones that already have the lengthwise roof rails) have the little reinforced bits on the roof that let you put your own cross bars on as well - they go over the top of the fitted rails.

I have mixed feelings about my own Berlingo. The tailgate is very handy, but it is heavy to open and shut, and quite a stretch to reach the strap when it's open. That said, unless you are very tall you're unlikely ever to bang your head on it when it's open. The 2.0 HDi model is quite powerful, and gives reasonable fuel economy.

But ...

it's noisy. At slow speeds it's rattly, and when going fast you notice the engine noise. And the rear seats are surprisingly uncomfortable - a consequence of the clever "fold down flat" arrangement. The bit you sit on is a just a bit too small for adults.

On the other hand a Berlingo is hardly a temptation to car thieves.

Well, we test drove the Berlingo yesterday and found it far more comfortable than we expected. We will probably buy it. Just to round off the original query, this is one of the ones with non-removable bars but, yes, you can put cross bars on over the top.

Was rather surprised that we were allowed to take the thing out on the road with no check on our ID or anything, leaving only our ratty old Renault in their car park as proof that we would return!

By the way, is anyone else having trouble logging on to the forum? I am not even sure if this reply will get on as it is in a totally different box from the usual one.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Araucaria"]it's noisy. At slow speeds it's rattly, and when going fast you notice the engine noise. And the rear seats are surprisingly uncomfortable - a consequence of the clever "fold down flat" arrangement. The bit you sit on is a just a bit too small for adults.[/quote]It's a Citroen/French car, what else do you expect, the seats are probably designed for diminutive French people not your typically larger backsided Brit !

[quote user="Chrissie"]this is one of the ones with non-removable bars but, yes, you can put cross bars on over the top. [/quote]

I doubt that, they would have been fitted with bolts so will be removable, It maybe they were bolted from the inside but doubtful but even if they were a car repair shop could remove the headlining and remove them for you and fix what ever you want.

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="Chrissie"]this is one of the ones with non-removable bars but, yes, you can put cross bars on over the top. [/quote]

I doubt that, they would have been fitted with bolts so will be removable, It maybe they were bolted from the inside but doubtful but even if they were a car repair shop could remove the headlining and remove them for you and fix what ever you want.

[/quote]

Some Berlingos have roof bars where you can detach the bar from the mount (the mount on the outside of the roof) and replace the bars cross-wise where before they were lenthgwise (or vice versa). The mount for the bar stays in place. Others have roof bars that can only be moved (or removed) by unbolting them from inside: those ones can't have the original roofbars put on cross-wise. I think Chrissie knew what she meant by "non-removable" and so did those of us with one or the other type of Berlingo.....

Hi Araucaria,  yes I get what was meant and from your explanation.  I meant if the original bars were in the way, unbolting them and plugging the holes may allow Chrissie to fix what they want even if it means a trip to a trim shop to remove the head lining to get access to the bolts/nuts from the inside and using the standard berlingo plugs  that are fitted to vans.