Rouen Bridge

PaulT

Work on repairs only started in late October and was estimated to take a year. Thus, I can only assume things are the same as they were the last time we went that way....which, in fact, we didn't, as it were, because we always go north/south on the other bank of the river and come out at the big commercial centre in Tourville la Riviere. Coming back was painless, too...but I was asleep.

There is currently a delay of one month, as the barge they need to use isn't available as planned.

But they are still expect to reopen towards the end of August.

http://www.76actu.fr/pont-mathilde-a-rouen-la-travee-sera-finalement-deposee-en-fevrier_66646/

Looking at the map, with a view to travelling towards Nantes next week, another option would seem to be to leave the A28 north of Rouen, then head west on the A29 towards Le Havre and cross the Seine on the Pont de Normandie.

From there one can get the A13 towards Caen etc.

Anyone know of any current drawbacks to that?

Angela

Many thanks for the replies....

Yes, we have been going down the other side of the river since, and once only, taking the signed diversion route (a little long). Do find this route a little tedious due to constant speed changes.

Glad to hear that the repairs are being given some urgency :)

I really don't see what all the fuss has been about.  That bridge has been out for quite a while and hasn't made any difference to my journey. I haven't wasted all that extra fuel driving around a long motorway detour. Just used the next bridge available along the Seine after the one way bridge (the actual next bridge) or taken a run to La pont d'larche (sp) along side the river and stopped a few times to watch the power boats and have a cheap cup of coffee!

[quote user="Théière"]I really don't see what all the fuss has been about.  That bridge has been out for quite a while and hasn't made any difference to my journey. I haven't wasted all that extra fuel driving around a long motorway detour. Just used the next bridge available along the Seine after the one way bridge (the actual next bridge) or taken a run to La pont d'larche (sp) along side the river and stopped a few times to watch the power boats and have a cheap cup of coffee!
[/quote] 

+1 Yes absolutely, as far as I am concerned the journey is now easier than before, I use the same route as Theiere and continue Chartres, Chateuadun to Vendome then quick cut back to Montoire. Also it saves 20Euro as we don't use the LeMans/Rouen boring motorway any more. [:D]

QUOTE Yccmb

.. we always go north/south on the other bank of the river and come out at the big commercial centre in Tourville la Riviere....

END QUOTE

Thank you for that, Betty.

The banana was cursing today, as we were swept on a road southwards alongside the Seine, with no signposts to reassure us that we would eventually join the Le Mans motorway. But I remembered your advice above, and uttered soothing words until the vast shopping centre hove into view and we triumphantly crossed the riiver.

Angela