Certificate d'immatriculation (carte grise) - two owners

Hester

Hello, I noticed that the car that I have bought has two owners on the certificate d'immatriculation and wondered if anyone else has done this. I asked the seller why this was done and was informed that it makes it easier for inheritance purposes, her friend has one of her daughters named on her certificate. Anyone know the pros and cons of doing it this way. Regards Hester.

It is exactly as the seller says. Couples often do this. If the vehicle is in one name only and that person dies, there is going to be a problem selling it because the paperwork won't be accepted at the préfecture if it hasn't been signed by the registered owner. Therefore it has to be handled by the notaire who's dealing with the estate.

If you register it initially in your name and decide you want to add a second owner at a later stage, it is treated the same as a change of ownership and you have to pay another registration fee. So makes sense to do it when you buy the vehicle.

The only disadvantage I can see is if the co-owners fall out, eg if one wants to sell the car and the other doesn't.

This site is useful in explaining who has rights to do what with a car depending on co-ownership, marriage regime, in case of death or divorce, etc.

http://www.ants.interieur.gouv.fr/siv/Quels-sont-les-droits-du-titulaire.html

Thanks Jonzjob.If registered in both names, presumably in the event of a death, . the other can continue to use the car without needing to change the certificate or obtain any paper work from a notaire. Is it only on the sale of the car that this is needed? Regards Hester.

We've done this with our car, too.

I think that in the event of the death of one of the parties there will still need to be an updating of the certificat d'immatriculation (to remove the deceased's name, perhaps someone will confirm this?), but the important thing is that the surviving person has full claim to the vehicle without having to wait for the estate to be sorted out. Being denied access to the vehicle could be VERY inconvenient in the weeks/months following.

Similarly with bank accounts, where it should, for preference, say M. ou Mme Wotsit.  (not "et").

I have been through this recently.MY car had both our names on the Carte Grise BUT because only my late husband's CHRISTIAN name was on it and not my christian name, it was deemed to be his vehicle and when I wanted to sell it I had to get permission in writing from our NOtaire handling the death and also permission from my two children as heirs of his part before it was allowed. My neighbour had only her husband's name on the carte grise and when he died she had to change it to her name, pay not only for a new certificate but also for new number plates as it was pre-new for-life style plates. However because our bank accounts were M OU Mme, I was allowed to continue use with no changes whatsoever but if it had been M et Mme, that would have been a problem.

Our CG shows my name and my wife's name before marriage, ie the same as on a marriage certificate for example. This is the usual form.

I didn't understand your post; your husband would have had more than just his Christian name surely? What about the family name (surname)? They normally refer to forename and family name here, not Christian name, as not everyone is of the Christian faith.

Yes, Mr et Mme...... but only HIS christian name AFTER the surname and not mine.This is a very important thing to clarify as he was deemed in law to be the official owner having both names and me just a co-owner but no rights to sell or do anything with the vehicle.

When we bought the car new, the garage did the carte grise in the first person and not with both christian names on it,we never gate it a thought so Yes, Mr et Mme...... but only HIS christian name AFTER the surname and not mine.This is a very important thing to clarify as he was deemed in law to be the official owner having both names and me just a co-owner but no rights to sell or do anything with the vehicle.

That may explain a mystery Val2.

A French friend who knows all the tricks and who is also very charming and can usually work his wonder with anyone being intransigient met his match when tryig to register a vehicle at the prefecture.

He had bought it via the garagist and had a reciept from the owner to himself if that makes sense, the Carte grise had M. X ou Mme X but they insisted that he needed both signatures even though it clearly said "ou" not "et" he got them to check with the chef but I guess it was the usual "we cannot can we?" and they confirmed that it was the new policy, affirmed is probably the truer word.

He was tempted to go outside and add another signature and go straight back in but decided instead to get his wife to do so that evening, another wasted journey the next day and all was well but it shows that being made to jump through stupid hoops is not just reserved for etrangers.

The garagist said that it was just as well that he had done what he did as the Monsieur had recently died, I am guessing that you encountered a similar difficulty, a terrible thing to be faced with at a time of grief and just so petty and unnecessary.

Ah, I see what you mean Val2. !  The CG, or more correctly Certificat d'Immatriculation as it's no longer a "card", shows the two names separately. so, the titulaire is named in section C.1,   and in the case of multi-propriété other person is named in C.4.1

Section C.4.a shows what their entitlement is, in our case propriétaire du vehicle

I've just checked my old certificate and it had exactly the same sections, so I suggest that yours has been incorrectly completed.

Refer to the notes on the back of the certificate.  This way there is no disputing what was intended.