Is there a way out of this loop?

Gyn_Paul

I have a 20 year-old Clio which has been a good little runner in its time but now needs new injectors, which means the cost of sourcing/fitting replacements w-e-l-l  exceeds the value of the vehicle.

I want to give it to my friend who is a garagiste, and who may either fix it up if he has the time or - more likely - use it for spares.

My question is, how can I get it off my insurance if I'm not either selling or scraping it? I obviously can't (even notionally) sell it without a CT, which it won't pass without fixing up, and I wouldn't be, in the first instance, scraping it.

I seem to be going round in a circle. Is there a way out?

p

Giving somebody a car is just another way of saying, selling them a car for 0€.

You fill in the paperwork, cross out the CG, and take a copy of the certificate de cession with his name and address to your insurers.

I believe that he then declares the car to be the equivalent of off the road. It goes into his name but he can't use it on the road. Not too sure how it works but people seem to do it. If he's a garagiste he should know the system.

But for the purposes of getting it off your insurance, you just need the certificat de cession.

We helped out a friend in a similar position with an even older petrol Super Cinq. We put it on a depot vente with our local garage (v small rural one). It was sold for 200 euros within a month (he did not want to take it on for spares or to redo and sell on). He took 20% and we used the sale record to cancel the insurance.

The new owner did it up (!) and we saw it around the village for a couple more years.

You can sell a car without CT.

No doubt some pedant will be along in a minute to inform us all that according to the exact letter of the law, you cant - as happened last time this topic came up iirc, but here in the real world hundreds of cars are sold every day without CT and nobody goes to jail.

Just fill out the usual forms and carry on with life as normal.

[quote user="dave21478"]You can sell a car without CT.

No doubt some pedant will be along in a minute to inform us all that according to the exact letter of the law, you cant - as happened last time this topic came up iirc, but here in the real world hundreds of cars are sold every day without CT and nobody goes to jail.

Just fill out the usual forms and carry on with life as normal.[/quote]

[Pedant mode ON] (but to ask a question!)

I must admit that I thought that you can SELL the car without CT, but it has to have a CT less than 6 months old in order to be REGISTERED by the buyer - so essentially it's up to them as to whether they accept it without a CT. Obviously, in the "normal" case, as a buyer you'd be daft to buy a car that does not have a recent CT and so, again in the normal case, if you want to sell your car you need to have a recent CT. The OP's case is not the "normal" case however, and the buyer would know that.

[Pedant mode OFF]

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="dave21478"]You can sell a car without CT.

Just fill out the usual forms and carry on with life as normal.[/quote]

[Pedant mode ON] (but to ask a question!)

I must admit that I thought that you can SELL the car without CT, but it has to have a CT less than 6 months old in order to be REGISTERED by the buyer - so essentially it's up to them as to whether they accept it without a CT. Obviously, in the "normal" case, as a buyer you'd be daft to buy a car that does not have a recent CT and so, again in the normal case, if you want to sell your car you need to have a recent CT. The OP's case is not the "normal" case however, and the buyer would know that.

[Pedant mode OFF]

[/quote]

Thank you Dave, and Pickles,

That's both logical and makes sense.  Suspiciously so - how very un-French !

paul

Exactly right Pickles, the CT is crucial to register the car in the name of the buyer - within 6 months of a pass or within 2 months of a fail, which not many people seem to know about? - but last time this was talked about someone popped up enlightening everyone about article 7, subparagraph 19 of whatever law which apparently says it is the sellers responsibility and obligation to put the car through the CT test before selling it. This is obviously completely unworkable in the real world as there are countless situations like Pauls, where the car is being sold for parts, where cars are sold as non-runners, where cars are sold after an accident or any one of dozens of reasons where a CT is not practical or possible.