To sell or scrap?

mistycaledonia

Officially you can't sell for parts any more - all dead cars have to be disposed of cleanly, by approved vehicle recyclers.

I'm sure people still do, the only issue might be that I don't think the buyer could re-register it, so the central computer would have it recorded as your car so your responsibility for ever.

I scrapped mine at the local garage who came and rescued it when it broke down, just needed the carte grise and copy of my passport and a signature on a form, and they paid me 0€ for it. Maybe there is a better way!

Yes I suspected that 0€ probably wasn't the best deal around ;) but, for the sake of making phone calls and wasting time and not being able to cancel the insurance till the paperwork was done, I just went for the quickest option, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

Quite a few pumps here, both new and second hand, including a reconditioning service for £85.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfuel+pump+zafira&_nkw=fuel+pump+zafira&_sacat=0

and as a TinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/lkocsgy

It must be nice having money to throw away....

Its perfectly legal to sell it as a non-runner and even if it wasnt legal, how many French people would stick to that law?

To the OP, I assume you are talking about the high pressure injection pump on a diesel - if so, Diesel Bob can probably recondition your old one quite cheaply, and if its a common one will probably have some on the shelf ready to go for a straight sale.

www.dieselbob.co.uk

I have had good service from them in the past and they will post to France.

If you want rid, stick an ad up on LeBonCoin describing it as needing repairs and put the price as "fair offre". Someone will likely pay a few hundred Euros for it.

(dont put your phone number on the ad, you will get numpties calling you at all hours - deal via email to weed out the nobbers.)

If you want to scrap it, take it to a scrap recyling centre and weigh it in as mixed metal, or take it to a breakers yard and they will buy it for parts. Expect 150€ max either way. If you have to get them to collect it, expect to not get paid anything.

I scrapped a diesel Berlingo (got €60 for it) with a fuel pump fault a few months ago.

It might not just be a question of replacing the pump - it certainly wasn't with ours.

What we were told (and I believe it) is that once the pump starts breaking up, it distributes very small metallic particles all through the fuel system: and as diesels dump any fuel that the engine doesn't use back into the fuel tank, that means you have contamination in the injectors, all the fuel pipes, and the tank too. To be sure that the repair will actually work, you have to replace all those parts - flushing out might not work - and the costs to do that start at about €1,000.  Our Berlingo just wasn't worth that much (age, RHD, high mileage, dents, etc).

So depending on the problem, scrapping it might be the OP's cheapest option. Obviously strip everything off it that isn't needed for the drive to the breakers: you might be able to sell odd bits on LBC (seats, spare wheel, jack, stereo system.....)

Sorry to be pedantic Dave but it isn't perfectly legal and hasn't been for 5 years

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F17375.xhtml

I did say that probably loads of people do it and I'm sure that if anybody had ever been fined the 75,000€ that it threatens it would have been in all of the papers so it's a safe bet you won't be - but it's as well to know the law even if you decide not to bother about it.

It's probably not legal to fart in the prefecture but would that stop anyone doing it ?

I don't know the exact details but friends of mine had a Zafira of similar vintage and the pump went on that, turned out there was something unique or peculiar about it though which meant it had to be sent to Germany to be rebuilt, it cost them something like €3000 in the end and took many weeks.

And no, it wasn't a local garage feeding them BS the owner was reasonably savvy and organised the pump refurb having discovered for himself that it was the only way to get it done.

Unfortunately he's gone back to UK now so I can't get any more details.

Yeah, well pedantry is what this forum does best.

Honestly, do you think anyone has ever adhered to that law? Ever?

Its completely, utterly unenforcible and anyone with even the vaguest hint of common sense will see that.

Feel free to tell the OP to just give his car away for nothing, why dont you.

Oh, and you better phone up the police and tell them you have found some criminals here....

clicky

I am sure they will be really interested.

If repair is on the cards I second Dave's post Diesel Bob very good people.

Metal fragments is a possibility but easily tested for with magnet and filter paper, fuel delivery pipes are easily cleaned sometimes the tank must come out for cleaning and injectors also but garages love to oversell this.