is this possible?????

josie

Hi everyone

Not sure if this has been asked before, but here goes and apologies if it has! Is it possible to buy vehicle in the UK and leave it registered to a UK address whilst insuring and using it in France (resident) or, if not, is it possible to leave it registered in UK whilst trying to sort import papers? I only ask as I have heard many horror stories about importing motorhomes, especially hgv ones and don't want to get stung!. Any advice/experience or links much appreciated

[quote user="josie"]Hi everyone

Not sure if this has been asked before, but here goes and apologies if it has! Is it possible to buy vehicle in the UK and leave it registered to a UK address whilst insuring and using it in France (resident) or, if not, is it possible to leave it registered in UK whilst trying to sort import papers? I only ask as I have heard many horror stories about importing motorhomes, especially hgv ones and don't want to get stung!. Any advice/experience or links much appreciated[/quote]

Have a look at this thread - though it is an old one.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/1/1864483/ShowPost.aspx#1864483

I don't know if the situation has changed but you used to have a 4-month period of grace to get a vehicle re-registered if it needed to go via the "Titre Isolé" route AND you have opened a dossier with DRIRE or whatever replaces it now.

You need to do some research especially regarding HGV motorhomes. I can't remember if there is an issue that you need to be aware of re your licence.

[quote user="josie"]Hi everyone

Not sure if this has been asked before, but here goes and apologies if it has! Is it possible to buy vehicle in the UK and leave it registered to a UK address whilst insuring and using it in France (resident)

Discussed many many times because it's the same for an ordinary car and the answer YES possible, is it fully legal though - QUESTIONABLE.

Probably OK until you have an accident and kill or maim somebody.

is it possible to leave it registered in UK whilst trying to sort import papers?

Well yes, there is no option is there ?

You can use it for up to 4 months as Pickles says but registration can prove problematic and long winded, you need a Certificate of Conformity for it and that is usually the stumbling block because very likely for a UK motorhome one will  not be available although if it's relatively new, post 2013 if memory serves,  it might.[/quote]

As for licence issues, if it's over 3,500kg then when you switch to a French licence, as you will have to when your UK one expires, to continue to drive it you will need a medical to retain the group.

AFAIK there are only 2 UK insurers who will insure people who tell them that they are not UK resident, and neither of them cover motorhomes.

All other UK insurers (AFAIK) make it a condition of the insurance that the policyholder is a UK resident, and when you sign the form you are confirming this. Obviously, making a false statement in order to obtain insurance is possible, but not a great idea.

Insuring it in France will result in it showing up on the DVLA database as uninsured, since French insurers do not interact with the DVLA database. And this will make you liable for an automatic fine from DVLA for having an uninsured vehicle.

Not easy is it.