Aviva breakdown assistance

frenchdc

Don't understand, surely they have given you a number to call in the case of a breakdown. What if you had been a 500kms from home you'd call then, wouldn't you?

IF you have breakdown cover from home, then call.

Personally, until now, I have never called the service from home. I know that we are allowed three per year and I'd rather reserve any breakdowns for when I am away from home to be honest.  Still I like the idea that I can call them, from home, if ever I need to.

• 2 weeks later...
for information to all.

I phoned Aviva, home cover allows 180 euros only for towing cost to garage of your choice. This equates to around 30kms only.

Customer Assistance person (Aurora) absolutely fantastic and efficient, even rang back to make sure all ok! Well done Aviva ! brilliant customer service - very rare in my 11 years here in France.

You don't mention just what the problem was or if it was fixed at your home? If it was just a dud battery then a jump start and battery charge may do, but if it's a frozen/split radiator or something heavy then it's got to be a garage job?

[quote user="frenchdc"]towed to a garage for fixing, they do not fix only tow to a garage.[/quote]

And therein lies the problem if you break down a long way from home with an old (as in not worth very much) car or if you do all your own repairs and don't trust a garage. I discussed this problem recently with our insurance broker and he said the recovery service may tow you home if it is not too far and you ask nicely.

Well as we never had that option with our insurer when we lived in France, it seems like it is already not bad.

Husband broke down once and was within 40kms of home, he was about 30kms from home, and we had to pay for the tow truck.