DAB radios in cars

debabaudus

I am looking to buy a nearly new Citroen C4 Picasso in the UK, and then reregister it over here (in the Limousin)

I am fairly up to date with all the admin required to register, but I notice that the spec for the new UK version of the Picasso includes a DAB radio. I think that DAB doesn't work in France....so could I be left with a car with no radio (just CD and MP3°?

Any help gratefully received

Debabaudus

Strange you should say that; there has been a strike at Radio France for the last couple of weeks meaning that they can't put out their usual programmes. This has improved things no end.

For example, now just classical music, no interminable discussions about the influence on Beethoven's music of his tight jockstrap!

[quote user="debabaudus"]I am looking to buy a nearly new Citroen C4 Picasso in the UK, and then reregister it over here (in the Limousin)

I am fairly up to date with all the admin required to register, but I notice that the spec for the new UK version of the Picasso includes a DAB radio. I think that DAB doesn't work in France....so could I be left with a car with no radio (just CD and MP3°?

Debabaudus[/quote]

Doesn't the DAB radio also do FM?

[quote user="debabaudus"]I am looking to buy a nearly new Citroen C4 Picasso in the UK, and then reregister it over here (in the Limousin)

Debabaudus[/quote]

A UK DAB radio definitely doesn't work in France - our son insisted on giving his mother one for her birthday in spite of this. It also has FM but we already have several FM radios.

And even if France do eventually get DAB radio it will be on a different waveband[:(]

Anyone want a brand new Roberts Revival DAB radio?

Thanks, Pickles.

My original reading was that the DAB was seen as a top of the range alternative to FM, but the little black blobs (that's the Citroen employees when not on strike) seem to suggest an enhancement rather than an alternative.

Of course, once I find one at the right price, I will ask the sales "executive", and will be 100% confident he (why not a she?) will immediately give me a full and accurate answer.

Debabaudus

Most French radio stations stream on-line, so maybe an internet radio is a solution.

If you google 'internet radio for a car' there seem to be quite a few options, including an app for iPhone and android.

I don't know if I missed it along the way? But why would you want DAB radio in a car and why isn't FM good enough? FM is available all over France and received by any radio fitted in any car. So why the need for DAB? After all it ain't a total studio situation and you can't ever safely concentrate on what's on the radio if you want to live?

Hi

It seems daft to me to buy a car just because of its radio more importantly with the steering wheel in the wrong place many brits have bought cars in the UK thinking great price and then be stung for new lights and purchase tax its a dead brainer

PS Having said that I am still in love with my UK 25 year old Citroen AX GT

[quote user="Jonzjob"]I don't know if I missed it along the way? But why would you want DAB radio in a car and why isn't FM good enough? FM is available all over France and received by any radio fitted in any car. So why the need for DAB? After all it ain't a total studio situation and you can't ever safely concentrate on what's on the radio if you want to live?

[/quote]

Why have FM when AM/long wave is/was perfectly ok, oh I know because it sounds much better [I] DAB is the next evolution, it's good, I can continue to receive radio broadcasts of my favorite stations when I go down Wrotham hill etc instead of having to switch to CD