An insurance question.

powerdesal

We have, at present, our touring caravan insured via AXA who also do our car and house insurance.

The caravan premium is quite a lot, bigger than the car premium by a considerable margin because, whilst the car attracts a 'no claims discount' the caravan does not.

We have a feeling that we are being 'ripped off' but cannot quantify that feeling.

I have 'heard' that a caravan is covered, whilst being towed, by the car insurance, is this true ?, can anyone confirm or deny this.

If true then our substantial premium is, in effect, covering our van only whilst it is parked in the garage at our home and whilst on a camp site.

We are members of the FFCC who offer caravan insurance at discounted rates but seem to demand that the car be covered by the same company. This is a problem because of the different start dates of each insurance period.

Does anyone have any information or comments which may be of help ?

Why not visit some more insurance agents and get some quotes, they usually oblige happy to do this. The company you have mentioned do seem to be subject to all sorts of problems so perhaps time to move on. To be honest and living in a very touristy seaside place I have not seen a towed caravan for years, even going to Roscoff frequently nearby apart from brits coming off the ferries. Most French people opt for a camping car these days,hiring them too when needed.

Yes, there are a large number of camping cars in France but equally there are a considerable number of French towed caravans.

We have towed a caravan through Europe for many years and prefer it to having the restriction, on site, of a camping car.

Assuming it is over 500kgs (or is it 750? I forget) anyway - assuming it is, many insurers will allow you to add it onto your car policy for a fee. This covers it for road use and you would need to check the terms from your own insurer to see what it includes in the way of theft while parked etc etc.

Or you can have stand-alone insurance like you have just now.

The problem with adding it to your cars insurance is I would assume that ONLY that car can tow it. Maybe that suits you but if you have a second car or let family/friends borrow the caravan then it might create problems.

When I got my transporter trailer I had this problem and opted for stand-alone insurance which I ended up getting from some online horsey place who normally insure nag boxes, underwritten by MMA. This means it can be towed by either of my cars or I can loan it to other people (I dont, but I could if I knew anyone I trusted enough!) and its still fully covered.

Forgot to say, small trailers etc under 750 (or 500....whatever) kgs are covered by the cars insurance automatically, so no worries there.

My stand-alone policy for the big trailer also doesnt attract NCB - just had my renewal through for exactly the same amount as last year.

[quote]All car policies should include a Third Party towing risk but this covers damage caused by the trailer not damage caused to the trailer.

They don't cover theft of the trailer or damage caused to the trailer while attached. [/quote]

I think that this may be the general case in the UK, but the OP and Dave are coming from a French perspective.

All my French car insurance policies, and like Dave I have moved around a lot, all covered me for towing a trailer up to 500kg, my current one says up to 750kg which is bizaare given you need to register and insure trailers over 500kg but having an unregistered Esterel that tips the scales under 750kg I'm quite happy to accept the anomoly.

As the OP I think was asking for insurance for a car kept here but not French registered maybe an Essex insurer would be apt? [Www]

Chancer, as the OP I feel you should know that my car was bought in France, is registered in France, Is used primarily in France, is insured in France. It would be unusual if it were any different given that I live in France.

I was questioning the insurance situation regarding my caravan ( which is also French registered ) and the very high rates that I have been quoted.