berlingo fuel pump

johnycarper

If you have to prime it with the bulb under the bonnet, you more then likely have air in the fuel line, Has the fuel filter just been changed, or any work done in that area. Can't see how "pumping the accelerator" would do anything. Is the engine the old 1.9td or is it the newer HDI type.

Change tack a bit, a friend of ours had the engine management light come on on his Saab, he took it to the local French garage and was told he would need a new turbo. I had a look under the bonnet and found a loose vacuum pipe, re-attached the hose and the light went out never to return.

Have  a look at the fuel line around the fuel filter, plus the actual filter, they can sometimes absorb air into the filter if its an old one. Also get a second opinion from somewhere else if needed.

yes its the old 1.9td and its not a bulb as such its like a black plunger under the engine cover that seems to pump the diesel up to the engine,where roughly would the fuel filter be.I am not a mechanic but don't mind trying simple things so perhaps the filter should be first as its never been changed as far as I know.

Thanks

Unless they are talking about changing the primer pump, changing the "diesel pump" on one of these actually means changing the whole injection pump and I doubt if you would have any change from a thousand euros for that at a garage.

It will undoubtedly be an air leak as described above. Either the hose connections into or out of the pump / filter unit or onto the injection pump. Alternatively, the membrane of the pump itself can split causing the same problem. You might also find it stutters under load due to drawing air bubbles into the fuel line.

If its very high mileage then its possibly a worn accelerator shaft and accompanying seal on the injection pump, but this would also show as a steady diesel leak. Even if it were to be this, repair kits including a new shaft and seal are available for about 30 euros and need someone who knows what they are doing half an hour to fit.

In short, you either need clarification from the garage on what they plan to do or you need a second opinion from another garage.

If the fuel filter has never been changed I would look at this first,

(as Dave said the cost of a new pump would outway the cost of the car) I

think your "bulb" would be on the left of the engine looking at it from

the front (drivers side UK car) in the middle of the engine just in

front of the intercooler rad that lays on top of the engine, if fitted

you will see a round plastic tub with a squarish lid with 4  bolts this

is the filter, depends on the design either you can but a new filter to

go inside the tub or you will have to buy a new unit. Which ever way it

goes cleanliness is the most important thing around the filter when you

replace it. Also drain the old diesel out of the filter as it may

contain some water.

I disposed of my workshop manuals for this engine years ago, going on memory now. Used to have a xantia with the same engine.

Good luck.