Removing a catalytic converter

f1steveuk

Aye, I have seen a spate of kit cars registered locally....look like Dax Rushs to me. RHD and French registered, certainly not new builds. The one I saw up close was running a Vauxhall XE engine on what looked like motorbike carbs.

I guess someone has a drinking buddy at the DRIRE.

Fortunately my rust problem is minimal, surface stuff on the rear wheel arches, which I have already treated. On the plus side, I haven't invested a huge sum of money in it, but it would be nice to have it road legal in case we get snow. just sucks when you TRY and do things the right way, but "the system" tries to prevent it.When we first moved here, I brought my bike over, and having worked in F1, I used to use my motorsport helmet on my bike. Never got stopped once by French police (did in Britain, once, because the policeman wanted to have a closer look and ask how much one cost!!), but TRY and do the right thing.............

Much though I'd love to build a Caterham, I have a hatred of paperwork!!!

Anyway, went to Perigueux yesterday and saw three Terranos, so there are parts somewhere!!

I have seen recently a full-on 1960's American dragstrip Ford Coupe hotrod - very authentic, dull green body paint, open bonnet sides, 350 chevy carb motor with blocked off drag strip open headers, steel wheels. big tyres on the back, skinny ones up front. filling up at our local Intermarche.

How do they get that through a CT?

• 3 weeks later...
I have now found out, officially, that the Terrano/Maverick will come up as the same vehicle, and hence will not be a problem to CT. I have also located, and awaiting the arrival of some brand new, unused, old stock French market headlights. The "bodge" I made to the cat' converter, has proved so efficient, I cannot remove it, and it has set as hard as steel, and painted looks no different to the rest of the cat'. Leboncoin seems to have more spares for this than "Fleabay" UK, though I am having trouble finding a left hand front fog lamp, but again, there are work arounds to that as well.

Can I have a "pre"CT, to see if I  have missed anything?

Interesting area this, Steve.

In the UK the majority of the Boy Racers fail to realise (Did they ever?) that by modifying - chipping included - their pride and joy fails type approval, operated in UK by VOSA.

See here:

Additionally, if modifications are made, then their vehicle constitutes a breach of the Road Traffic Act: their insurance can also be repudiated by underwriters.

"Modifications" includes wider wheels and tyres which do not conform to the type approvals granted. Presumably, the glitzy LED lights would fail too...

Chipping, for more grunt, would breach European emissions, as well.

One small item of possible interest...

Happened on a website, when I was searching for 50 m.m. ID ally expanding air hose, on this outfit. They sent me a large catalogue with my order.

See here:

Headlight reflector paint??

See Here:

Yes Michael, it is all designed to stress one out!! Now I have found some headlights, and know that when the VIN is typed in, the type mines should be correct (the same for Terrano and Maverick petrol, as both were imported into France), so it is possobly becoming easier to et my Maverick French reg'ed.

I am assuming that the CT runs the same as a UK MOT, e.g, if it's fitted, it must work, so I am still hunting for a left hand fog lamp, butt the "spray chrome" may get me out of that one, if I can get the rusty fittings out!

My only bug bear now will be that my "car" comes up  as a "Maverick Aspen" (as per the V5), but mine was converted to be a "van"

[URL=http://s161.photobucket.com/user/f1steveuk/media/IMG_0343_zpszq2gtaky.jpg.html][IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/f1steveuk/IMG_0343_zpszq2gtaky.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I have the paperwork that confrrms it was a works conversion, but my local CT man says as all the original fittings are there (rear seats, rear seat belts mounts and all the internal trims, and that he can see that moulded load tray comes out (if unbolted etc), it is still, basically an Aspen, so it's just the fog laight holding me up, as even my over engineered "bodge" on the cat' seems to be better than the rest of the system!  Downloaded that catologue though, very very useful!!