Changes to immatriculation

Gyn_Paul

Our local sub-prefecture is to be closed to personal visits to register/immatriculate vehicles in the new year. Which means that henceforth all dealings will have to be online (with all the delays and too-ing and frow-ing, scanning and photocopying that that will necessiate).

Is this a national thing or just a barmy idea of La Creuse.?

p

Our sub prefecture stopped doing immatriculation work three years ago, so I am surprised yours are still doing it. however one other change is that any prefecture can do the registration not just your own.

In our case we were told by the folk in the sub-prefecture that we could go to Valance in the Drome (only 10km further away) rather than trekking to Privas.

The last time I registered a car here (Feb this year) I did so by post.

I 'phoned the Prefecture in Carcassonne to get the correct address, which was the sous Prefecture in Narbonne.

The letter had to be addressed to "Service Cartes Grises".

I received the new CG a couple of days later, but they didn't return the CT certificate. Maybe I should have sent a copy of it.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]There is also now a network of motor traders (garages, Feu Vert and the like) that are equipped to do immatriculations. I think there is a small fee but could still be the most convenient option.[/quote]

They, and the online agencies which come up if you Google "carte grise" (which are designed to appear as official sites, but are now marked with "Ad" in a green box), charge around 20€.

You still have to wait for the new CG to arrive by post, so I'd rather just pay for a stamp[:)]

What sparked this off was a conversation with my inestimable garagest, Ray, who said it is accompanied by a whole raft of new legislation, seemingly designed to make life unbearable/impossible for small businessmen in the vehicle trade, along with things like it being  no longer possible to scrap vehicles, or sell them 'for parts and spares only' and other draconian changes.

France seems to become more and more proscriptive and burocratatic with each passing year !

p

"along with things like it being no longer possible to scrap vehicles"

???

Is a "small businessman in the vehicle trade" different from a garagiste? Only, as a member of the public there doesn't seem to be any problem scrapping a vehicle with a garage. I did, not long since, and the garage also took care of immatriculating the car I bought as a replacement, no extra charge. So in my experience as a punter, it is very simple if you buy from a garage because the garage does it all for you. Maybe it makes life more complicated for the garage but if it does they didn't complain.

There's been a similar rule in the UK about only disposing of vehicles to registered vehicle dismantlers for many years now.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"along with things like it being no longer possible to scrap vehicles"

???

Is a "small businessman in the vehicle trade" different from a garagiste? Only, as a member of the public there doesn't seem to be any problem scrapping a vehicle with a garage. I did, not long since, and the garage also took care of immatriculating the car I bought as a replacement, no extra charge. So in my experience as a punter, it is very simple if you buy from a garage because the garage does it all for you. Maybe it makes life more complicated for the garage but if it does they didn't complain.

There's been a similar rule in the UK about only disposing of vehicles to registered vehicle dismantlers for many years now.[/quote]

...my understanding is that it's future rather than current restrictions.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"along with things like it being no longer possible to scrap vehicles"

???

There's been a similar rule in the UK about only disposing of vehicles to registered vehicle dismantlers for many years now.[/quote]

...my understanding is that it's future rather than current restrictions.