Caravan - where/how can I use it?

tasng4

Congratulations on registering your caravan, I am afraid we gave up and bought a small french caravan but it lacks the facilities of a UK one of a similar age.

What seriously interests me was your method of registering, and I wondered how old the caravan has to be - I looked at the website and it is mainly geared towards cars, and they have to be 30 years old - I have in the past owned a couple of lovely Cheltenham caravans for instance and love vintage caravans.

I'm very surprised that FFVE have issued a certificate, but hey, does it matter now?

I suggest that for older caravans (pre-1998-ish) that you start with the manufacturer in UK. As I've said repeatedly on here, the process is not complicated, but it is tedious. You just need to follow all the steps. A visit to your local DREAL (DRIRE as was), before you start spending any money on certificates and tests, usually gives you a good idea of what documentation is required and what modifications, if any, will be requires to the caravan.

I've just registered a 1970 UK motorcycle. It was an absolute breeze!! FFVE wasn't involved and the bike has a full "normale" registration. A bit of homework beforehand makes the job a lot easier.

• 3 years later...
Hi.My name is Trevor and i have just returned to my home in France(Dept 50)with a Elddis caravan dated 1994 and i cant obtain a european CoC for it.It looks like i may have problems obtaining the carte de grise for it.After reading your forum it seems it maybe possible to get it.My french neighbour is helping me and i would like any information of what to do.Regards Trevor Skyner.

Hi, I'd be happy to help but as Nomoss says maybe start a new thread.

In summary our van was a 1989 year, we wrote a Alko, who made the chassis, for all the specs and found that it was a 1979ish design.  We submitted the blue prints to the FFVE, they gave us a certificate and we registered it as a historic vehicle.

As far as the first part of this post goes re: driving with the wrong plates we took a risk and got away with it.

We have since sold the van and bought a camper as these are much easier to use in France what with all the free/cheap aires.

If you registered the caravan why on Earth did you use the tow car's registration number. Once you had the Carte Grise for the caravan you could have bought it its own plate and have been legal.

It sounds as though you were lucky with FFVE. Normally they are interested in the date of manufacture, not the date of the design.