CT expired now what ?

chessie

We're driving an old, old banger;  on its last legs and being replaced next year.   Because of illness we've overlooked the CT - and it's 'ooops' time.

CT on car has just expired.    Have tried to book it into local mechanic for him to carry out full service and then take round to CT place for us (as in previous years).

His e-mail response appears to suggest that we have to take car to CT place and ask them to look at it first, to list 'all problems' and then take round to mechanic to deal with problems listed at CT; then presumably back to CT centre for the OK.

Is that right ?

Not having a good year....

Help appreciated - thank you - Chessie.

There is really no such thing as a "full service". It is a vague term subject to individual interpretation, and could refer to anything from an oil and filter change to major examination testing and repair or replacement of all the car's components.

You are virtually asking the mechanic to check all the 128 points which are subject to the CT without much of the equipment available to a CT tester, probably at minimal cost to yourselves, and you presumably expect him to guarantee that what he does will result in the car passing the test.

I'm not surprised he wants you to take the car for its CT first, so that he knows what needs doing.

He has probably learnt the hard way not to undertake jobs without a specific order for the work to be done since you last used his services.

Nomoss - oh please.   The mechanic/garage owner has tended and cared for this car for the last 10 plus years.   He knows the car;  he's serviced the car at regular intervals - he knows what we mean when we ask for full service.

Over the last 10 years we've been able to take car to him, he's serviced it for us because he knows what's been done previously;  and we've always left car with him with the instruction 'do what's necessary' to get it through the CT.

We trust him - he knows the car.  He's dealt with all the little 'hiccups' cars can throw at us.  

Just wondered why, this time, he suggested a CT first.  Obviously to do with CT close to expiry - so we were aware wouldn't be straight forward this time.

Chancer - thanks for definite solid information and advice.    What you've said makes sense and is understandable.   

So we book car in for CT, even though CT has expired;  if it fails then we book car into mechanic for him to sort out any problems, for him to also service car;  then for him to take for CT and all sorted.   But it seems we have a 'breathing space' which is very reassuring to know - thank you for your help.

I love this forum - thank you

Chessie

Not according to my CT test centre bloke when I asked the question. Remember insurance companies don't like paying out money.

Which is why you should also close all your shutters when you leave the house. Even in an apartment !!! Someone we know learnt the hard way and they lived on the 5th floor. And the burglars did not go through the front door !!

No trouble ALBOF, its just some more junk mail to join the rest.

If you need another ID to rejoin the other place to make some mischief how about "On Maddy"?

The lack of a CT would make not a scrap of difference to my minimalist cheapo assurance voiture, not that I am likely to ever be without one as the tester is a personal friend now.

The bloke who does your CT is a personal friend....ok...too much information. I take it he became a personal friend after checking your exhaust ???

On a serious note, my CT ran out on the 01/10 and I thought it was due on the 31/10. I did ask the question when I rushed to get an appointment upon realising. He said it was not a good idea to drive it.

P.S..given that the other place consists only of a French property developer for scousers, a born again economist, and a hillbilly minus a banjo....I might just give that a miss. They all seem to be at death doors anyway.

[quote user="chessie"]Nomoss - oh please.   The mechanic/garage owner has tended and cared for this car for the last 10 plus years.   He knows the car;  he's serviced the car at regular intervals - he knows what we mean when we ask for full service.

Over the last 10 years we've been able to take car to him, he's serviced it for us because he knows what's been done previously;  and we've always left car with him with the instruction 'do what's necessary' to get it through the CT.

We trust him - he knows the car.  He's dealt with all the little 'hiccups' cars can throw at us.  

Just wondered why, this time, he suggested a CT first.  Obviously to do with CT close to expiry - so we were aware wouldn't be straight forward this time.

Chancer - thanks for definite solid information and advice.    What you've said makes sense and is understandable.   

So we book car in for CT, even though CT has expired;  if it fails then we book car into mechanic for him to sort out any problems, for him to also service car;  then for him to take for CT and all sorted.   But it seems we have a 'breathing space' which is very reassuring to know - thank you for your help.

I love this forum - thank you

Chessie

[/quote]

If you trust this man why are you questioning the very good advice that he has given you? After knowing him for 10years I would have thought that his professional opinion was going to be more reliable than a mixture of informed and uninformed replies from a bunc( of unknown expats.

A littlebitfreunch is wrong, if your car is insured and you have an appointment for a CT you are fully covered for your journeys to and from the test centre.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]

On a serious note, my CT ran out on the 01/10 and I thought it was due on the 31/10. I did ask the question when I rushed to get an appointment upon realising. He said it was not a good idea to drive it.

.[/quote]

Ah, now I understand what he meant. It’s a shame you didn’t. His advice was to not drive the car while it didn't have a CT, why risk at least a €135 fine? However as pointed out, driving to and from the test is different.

And you will be insured for at least 3rd party risks even if you drive without a CT, not to be recommended of course because it could be dangerous and unroadworthy.

I was the celebrity driver who took my CT man round a racetrack or at least that was what he was told I was [:D], I did not know he would be there nor he that it was me until we removed our helmets after coming in to the pits, later on I gave him some tuition from the passenger seat.

Réseautage!!!

QUOTE Nomoss.....

If your CT is due next year it would seem a good idea to get it done before May.

https://www.challenges.fr/automobile/dossiers/controle-technique-2018-nouveaux-points-de-controle-et-interdiction-de-circuler_491371

everyone is pi$$ing in their nappies about this, but its really not that big a deal, and I say that as the guy who runs a fleet of dodgy old crocks. The worst part is the price increase and even that is likely to be less than the doom-prophet article writers are predicting. Currently the suggested maximum CT price is about 65 euros and this is likely to pass to 75, maybe 80 euros.

A smart and motivated person would currently be buying a suitable van, generator, MIG welder, grinders etc and setting up as a mobile welding repair service to patch up the massive quantity of cars that will from May fail the CT due to rust. French garages are completely unprepared and un-equipped for this sort of repair that has been the norm in any UK garage for decades.

Personally, I only lie on the wet ground getting rust in my eyes and sparks in my ears for pleasure and couldnt be bothered to do it for a living any more.

Blimey, only 48 hours to have something like this rectified or the vehicle is off the road:

bocal trop sale pour laisser voir le niveau de liquide de frein,

The garagistes around here would still be in the early stages of eeuuhhing and sucking through their teeth after 48 hours, maybe  a devis after a month with a slot to do the job the month after [:D]

Doing for money what you do for pleasure is what got me out of the gutter 4 décades ago, it cost me more than 4 months wages to buy the trolley jack that I still use and a Portapak welding set which I still have.

Every article I have read about this always uses the same or similar phrase..."Frappe avec un interdiction de rouler" when talking about a car failing the new "dangerous fault" category, which an awful lot of people are taking to mean a permanent ban, having to walk home and the car going to the scrapyard......yeah, no, its just failed the test.... get it fixed and re-test it.

Still, I predict a wave of cheap cars on LeBonCoin from May which people cant get through, which is always good news for me.

The CT is a farce anyway and always has been more about box-ticking than actual safety.

[quote user="chessie"]We're driving an old, old banger;  on its last legs and being replaced next year.   Because of illness we've overlooked the CT - and it's 'ooops' time.

CT on car has just expired.    Have tried to book it into local mechanic for him to carry out full service and then take round to CT place for us (as in previous years).

His e-mail response appears to suggest that we have to take car to CT place and ask them to look at it first, to list 'all problems' and then take round to mechanic to deal with problems listed at CT; then presumably back to CT centre for the OK.

Is that right ?

Not having a good year....

Help appreciated - thank you - Chessie.

[/quote]There has been some tightening up on the CT recently, and more to come I understand, so what your mechanic is effectively saying is that his previous knowledge and experience of what will pass muster and what won't is no longer certain enough for him to do his stuff and ensure a first time pass so he's suggesting the course both of of cheapest cost and least inconvenience.

Specially for ALBF: IF Father Christmas exists he MAY come down your chimney !

Minimally your insurance remains valid unless or until your insurer writes to you to say they are cancelling it.

Don't tell me, you belong to the camp which holds that in UK no MOT means no insurance which is utter rollocks !