How to get a Certificate of Immatriculation for a new car brought in to France from the UK

Doodle

Hi all,

I know that a carte grise has to be applied for on-line now via ants.gouv.fr. I’ve been going through the service-public.fr and other sites to find how I go about getting a carte grise for a brand new car bought in the UK which will have a UK reg plate (CofC will be given on collection). I can only find info for bringing in a second hand car. The insurance I already have in hand via my local MMA and I know I have to go to the tax office to pay the VAT and have 30 days to get everything sorted (all paperwork for HMRC has already been supplied). I do not need to change headlights etc on the car as it is built for the european market and is left hand drive - (bought in the UK due to being much cheaper than buying the equivalent in France and was given a discount before anyone asks why would you!). Unfortunately I can’t get the info on how to go about the immatriculation. I know you kind hearted souls on the forum (yes I’m creeping!) love rummaging around for answers so please can someone help me out on this one.

Mrs KG

Will the car be registered in the U.K. or will the French registration be the first? If it is registered in the U.K. the registration in France will be as a secondhand, not a new car. If has not been registered in the UK it will be registered like any other new car in France.

Just out of interest have you managed to buy the car tax free or are you going to have to go through the hassle of paying the tax in France than having to get a refund for the U.K. tax already paid from HMRC?

PS I see that the car will be on UK plates. You will need to get a Quitus Fiscal and pay the tax due on the car then register it as as secondhand car. In the eyes of the French registration authorities it will not be a new car even though in the eyes of the tax people it is.

Hi BinB

In answer to your questions the HMRC Form VAT411 04 17 and my consent for Registration document has been submitted to the DVLA - no UK tax to pay. I'm buying the car via the international arm of the supplier through the UK who have sorted all the paperwork for me I just had to fill in the necessary details and return. Mrs KG

Hi Mint,

Not sure what I'm in for here re costs. T he CO₂ emissions are 105G/KM CO₂ so it's a reasonably friendly car! However whatever I have to pay here over here is I'm sure not going to arrive at anywhere near what I've saved and that's without trading in our 12 year old Renault diesel which will do for the dechetterie business!

Mrs KG

Hi BJSLIV,

Yes, VAT around 3,700 euros - ouch. I would have had to pay the VAT in the UK so it's been counted for in my budget. Thought I'd buy now before Brexit not knowing where that is going to take us and I could get an excellent deal. Mrs KG