Coolant loss !!! Skoda Yeti

alittlebitfrench

D71, yes another possible issue worth investigating.

Another one here, but probably extremely unlikely. My daughters old car, s*d worrying about apostrophes, was apparently always steaming up and she thought that there was a problem with the heater but couldn't afford to get somebody to fix it. One day she was giving me a lift and she was amazed when I naturally pressed the button to stop air just circulating and the windscreen miraculously cleared!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking News !! Breaking News !!

So, I had no option but to take the car to our local VAG garage....it was getting worse. 80 euros an hour to find the problem. Eek...But what can I do ???

They had the car all day and traced the problem to the radiator. Oohh lordy lord. A new radiator and the 80 euros per hour for the diagnostic.

But wait, our friends at our local vag garage telephoned Skoda France who will pick up all the bill. New radiator, diagnostic, and labour !!! That is on a 5 year old car out of warrenty.

Would that have happened in the UK ?????? Methinks not.

France is not so bad !!!

Skoda may come under the VAG umbrella but as a unique brand they also do their own thing.

Standard VW warranty is 2 years unlimited mileage + 1 year extended subject to 60k miles max.

Skoda standard is the same but they have they have further options for extending, e.g. 4 years up to 80k or 5 years up to 100k.

Dealers may improve on that.

Skoda, the car which keeps on giving [:D]

[quote user="Harnser"]Skoda, the car which keeps on giving - trouble apparently![/quote]

Most cars are a collection of third party bits these days so whilst the Marque gets the blame it is often down to other factors.

On so many vehicle forums over the years and the posters blame the marque even when you explain the high pressure diesel pump is made by Bosch or delphi they still carry on blaming the marque.

Skoda have an enviable record of class wins in motor sport but still badge snobbery clouds their value. I wouldn't mind an Octavia VRS

[quote user="Harnser"]Skoda, the car which keeps on giving - trouble apparently![/quote]

The joke is really on those that believe all the old Skoda jokes.

Had mine 13 years and have done 130000 miles and that is on top of the stratospheric 188000 miles it did in its first 3 years, never ever let me down, over the years I have replaced a few minor electrical things none of which have cost more than £20, an airbag module, coolant sensor, reverse switch, heater fan, alternator brushes, recently replaced the aircon pump and a road spring, both under £30, most of the jobs took 10 minutes with my eyes closed, the last 2 maybe an hour.

Totalling everything I can think of in 13 years I come out at less than £150, at 55-65mpg I saved that in fuel the first month.

If I could find one thing to complain about is that after 13 years of driving a now 16 year old car I should be looking for something newer but I dare not. In any case apart from the odd small scratch and dent it is still as good as new.

Now I am not saying that another new vehicle would not have been equally reliable, anything VAG as long as you keep away from the dealers and garages but Skoda has not deserved a bad reputation for at least 25 years.

[quote user="Chancer"]

The joke is really on those that believe all the old Skoda jokes.

Had mine 13 years and have done 130000 miles and that is on top of the stratospheric 188000 miles it did in its first 3 years, never ever let me down, over the years I have replaced a few minor electrical things none of which have cost more than £20, an airbag module, coolant sensor, reverse switch, heater fan, alternator brushes, recently replaced the aircon pump and a road spring, both under £30, most of the jobs took 10 minutes with my eyes closed, the last 2 maybe an hour.

Totalling everything I can think of in 13 years I come out at less than £150, at 55-65mpg I saved that in fuel the first month.

If I could find one thing to complain about is that after 13 years of driving a now 16 year old car I should be looking for something newer but I dare not. In any case apart from the odd small scratch and dent it is still as good as new.

Now I am not saying that another new vehicle would not have been equally reliable, anything VAG as long as you keep away from the dealers and garages but Skoda has not deserved a bad reputation for at least 25 years.

[/quote]

My 2006 Golf has been dealer serviced since I bought it new and has been nothing but reliable. Personally I have great faith in their service network.

Glad to hear it, dont need them myself but if I had something as new as yours I would have little choice.

What puts me off is when you read the bad reviews all over the net, and of course they are everywhere for all vehicles, people moan more than they promote, when you look in detail about the complaints for a really reliable vehicle like your Golf its usually down to a minority of people getting bad service from the dealers, simple faults which for you and ALBF were efficiently dealt with for them result in repeated visits, escalating problems and escalating frustration.

I can avoid all that by using myself as the incompetent mechanic whose faults I can never see or complain about!

I have bought several lemons in the past, all eventually traded in after the owners got sick of paying fortunes to never solve the problems, they were all easy enough to resolve with the resolve to do so and often cost nothing to do so, as long as the vehicle gets me from A - B I am happy to cope with the problem for as long as it takes me to diagnose it or for it to manifest itself properly.

Some manufacturers who make/made the best vehicles ended up dropping down the ratings due to the dealer network and how it alienated the warranty customers, some had big shake ups and committed lots of money to rebuilding their image, that could be what is behind the treatment of ALBF's Yeti, they have turned what would have been a dissatisfied customer into a fidel one who will buy a new Skoda again from his local dealer. BMW did a similar thing with his forum best mate.

I think you are quite correct Chancer. If I had to replace the radiator on a car that has done 75k I would have walked from the brand.

They read the situation very well and I sure that between the dealer and Skoda they came to an agreement to ensure that we did not pay. The cost to them is insignificant compared to selling a new car and keeping us loyal to the brand and the dealer.

As a customer I like that, and like I said they will be rewarded when I buy a new car. I was very impressed. Top notch customer service. I will stay with the VAG brand.

I do fancy the new golf estate. The 'r' version would be nice. I configured one and it costs 50k. So I guess it will a a bog standard one unless I win the lottery.

I have decided though that I will not buy another diesel.

P.S I really don't like BMW. My OH has one as a company car and it really is not worth the money. I was very surprised how bad it was having never driven a BMW before. I would rate a skoda above a BMW any day. Plucks though (who am I thinking of here ???) will still buy them for the badge and it will make them feel all important. But they are not worth the money.

[quote user="Théière"]

Skoda have an enviable record of class wins in motor sport but still badge snobbery clouds their value.[/quote]And long may it remain so as it keeps secondhand prices low which perfectly suits the likes of people like Chancer and me who are less prejudiced and blinkered - unlike Harsner !

Just a week or so ago my 03 Octavia rolled over 300,000km (240k in my ownership) and has probably cost me less than the price of just one major service at a dealer !

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Théière"]

Skoda have an enviable record of class wins in motor sport but still badge snobbery clouds their value.[/quote]And long may it remain so as it keeps secondhand prices low which perfectly suits the likes of people like Chancer and me who are less prejudiced and blinkered - unlike Harsner !

Just a week or so ago my 03 Octavia rolled over 300,000km (240k in my ownership) and has probably cost me less than the price of just one major service at a dealer !

[/quote]

Indeed, me too, got the renault at the moment but I bet the next one will be electric once the mainstream get above 400 miles per charge.

[quote user="Harnser"]A couple of years ago I was seriously considering a new/pre reg Skoda Octavia TSI 245 VRS estate. I wasn't convinced so stayed with Honda and bought an Accord Estate 2.2 Type S. Rice burners rock![/quote]

Honda is a very smart choice, maybe even smarter than Skoda, when you get to virtually bulletproof reliability which they both have then you can make the choice of what vehicle suits you best or even choose between the dealers if you will be having the car serviced.

I was pit crew a couple of times for the Nurburgring 24 hour production car races in the early noughties, the works Mini Cooper team the final time, its a race of attrition and for those that dont retire through accident damage its the most reliable car and not the fastest that wins, I was highly impressed with the Hondas, they just went on and on only ever pitting for fuel and even though they looked like they had done a destruction derby at the end they were still on the button, you could have driven them to Tescos the next day.

TBH all the japanese cars were very reliable but Honda really stood out because they were very powerfull and quick as well which usually means less reliable, I also though that Hyundai had also really upped theur game almost to Honda's level.

Times have moved on and the increasing complexity of emissions control systems has hit the reliability of all makes, the move back to petrol from diesel I believe will result in better reliability.

This thread has covered cars from Honda, Hyundai and Skoda... all three of which we either have cars from or have had fairly recently...

We've had a Honda Civic, Honda Accord CDTI  until  couple of years back... both excellent and totally reliable. The Accord was particularly nice.

We've currently got a Hyundai Santa Fe which is somewhat relegated now to the family workhorse. A great car and we'll probably just keep it until it starts to give up the ghost or diesel legislation drives it off the road.

We've also got a Skoda Octavia 1.9 L diesel estate. A very nice car to drive, comfortable, well equipped, nippy and so far with no problems.

"Honda really stood out because they were very powerfull and quick as well which usually means less reliable"

i don't know where you get the "less reliable" from.

Try the Honda S2000 F20C motor (ie not a moto)

2 litre 4 cylinder 250 PS @ 8600 rpm - rev limit is 9200 rpm and no engine failures to date of end of production.

Like I said - Rice Burners Rock!

We are in agreement not at cross purposes, usually the higher the state of tune an engine is in, the greater the horsepower versus displacement which always involves higher revs the more fragile the engine.

Honda rewrote the rule book!

Honda Motos equally good, I have a 170bhp 1100cc Blackbird engine in my Caterham, that combo won the class in the 2001 and 2002 Nurburgring 24 hr race and then was effectively banned, its an invitation only race and we were no longer invited, the works Cooper BMW Mini was.

Hyundai Santa Fé, is that the 4 by 4 crossover thing? I was a rear seat passenger in one to Brussels and very impressed.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Hyundai Santa Fé, is that the 4 by 4 crossover thing? I was a rear seat passenger in one to Brussels and very impressed.

[/quote]

The Santa Fe is a largish SUV, occasional 4WD... a good load carrier which we've used on multiple occasions to drive down to the Lot loaded to the gunnels and a couple of bikes on the back.

Got to do a shout out for French cars. Bought a 2001 Peugeot 406 90Hp TDI estate sight unseen from Ebay in 2005 for £3000. Went across to Sallop in the UK to collect it. Still running perfectly with 190,000 miles on the clock. Uses no oil, do most of the work on it myself (apart from cambelt). Great load carrier, comfortable and quiet. Still see them for €3000 on Leboncoin!

I have had a Honda CB650, which was a great bike, and a couple of Honda's excellent 4-stroke outboards, but never had another Honda car after th 360 below.

I got rid of it after a short time. When washing it one day the hosepipe jet made a hole in a rear wing. I found the "steel" had completely rotted away, leaving only the paint layer in some areas of the bodywork.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/y5wrayovj/][img]https://s19.postimg.org/y5wrayovj/BC_Honda_360_Piasau_Sep_71.jpg[/img][/url]