Buying a second hand diesel to import from UK?

spj

Just wondered if, before he commits to buying a second-hand diesel from the UK and bringing it over to France, is there anything my husband needs to be aware of eg issues around certificate of conformity, etc.

We live in rural France and he believes that diesel will continue to be the fuel of choice for some years to come. He's not fussed about future banning of diesel cars in large city centres as we have a petrol car as well and anyway we would probably use the TGV and local public transport.

I just wonder if he's being too cavalier about this car and whether he could encounter problems here and whether there is anything he should be taking into consideration. I'd be grateful for any thoughts / suggestions. Thanks Sue

Obviously the cost of registering would depend on the car -age, fiscal horsepower etc.

A "grey import" into the UK (eg certain Toyotas, Mitsubishis etc that were never officially marketed in Europe) are more of a hassle to register in France. You can check the model on a site such as https://www.lacentrale.fr/fiche-technique-auto.php - if you can't find it on there, then it wasn't marketed in France and you can expect extra hoops to jump through.

Thanks Eurotrash and Theiere. It's a merc and we've got a merc that we brought over from the UK 11 years ago when we came here, so we've some idea what to expect. I was just wondering whether there are any extra hoops to jump through these days or issues because it's a second hand diesel. So far as the UK is concerned of course, large fuel-guzzling second hand diesel cars are not the flavour of the month (hence its good price) and I wondered if the same might be true here?