Buying a car from another person - procedure

minnie

Hello there. I'd welcome a response from a person who has recently had the experience of buying another car person to person. We're buying a car from a friend (on French number plates). Price has been agreed and a full CT will be obtained. Basically could somebody set out, point by point, the procedure which follows. Thanks

I'm not intending to be rude, but if you can't find out by yourself how to do that after 11 years in France, I suggest you get an agent to do the paperwork for you.

Here is one chosen at random [url]https://www.cartegrise.com/vente-voiture-occasion[/url] , you can search online for many more, or use a local garage to do it.

A CT is a CT, there are no varieties, such as a full one or otherwise.

Admittedly not about buying a car but selling a car.  But it's the same process, though from the opposite perspective.  There is tons of advice.  I myself had multiple answers and the whole subject was discussed at length on at least 2 or 3 threads.

Do go and look, minnie.  Also lots of comments re ANTS so that might also be a useful source of info.  It's not difficult but you do need to go through it step by step.  Some attention to detail and a willingness to commit time and effort would pay dividends.

Thanks mint for your advice. I'm grateful. Just thought I might get some useful pointers from someone who has done this recently. I can follow the procedures readily. Comments like those of nomoss are unhelpful to say the least on a forum. I may have been here x number of years but have never previously bought a car here. I have over the years tried to give advice to people in need which is the aim of the forum. It makes one realise why people drop off forums. If one can't say anything helpful why say anything at all!

There WERE indeed some changes and some information on the forum is indeed now not 100% accurate.  However, the main to-do things are more or less still the same.

Many of us had no end of problems trying to register with ANTS and doing stuff on line.  Though it could be that they are operating a bit less haphazardly these days.

If you do get some garage to register the car for you in your name, be reassured that it's not actually too expensive.  About 30 or 40 euros which you might find well worth it.  Life is too short to sweat the small stuff[:)]

[quote user="nomoss"]
I'm not intending to be rude, but if you can't find out by yourself how to do that after 11 years in France, I suggest you get an agent to do the paperwork for you.

Here is one chosen at random [url]https://www.cartegrise.com/vente-voiture-occasion[/url] , you can search online for many more, or use a local garage to do it.

A CT is a CT, there are no varieties, such as a full one or otherwise.

[/quote]

Did you have difficulty understanding the point about the full CT? I think that’s a reading comprehension problem on your part.

Good morning minnie,

I'm sorry you felt my post was unhelpful. I simply got the impression that you had difficulties searching the forum and on line, or were not aware of the problems members have been having with the improved system. I didn't mean to arouse our resident troll either.

It seemed to me that you might find it a lot easier and

convenient to transfer the registration using an outfit similar to the one in

the link I provided.

They charge 35€90 on top of the government tax and charges

total of around 150€ (depending on the car). Others may be even cheaper.