Servicing car

danny

We have a Renault that we bought about 3 years ago.
To date we have accumulated 27,500km, it has a diesel engine.
The car had its first service about a year ago at 22,500km and then they told us to come back at 26,000km to change the front brakes, which we did.
Since the first service we have done 5,000km in the last year, according to the message on the screen a service is due in 14 days.
We visited the garage and asked if we needed another service after doing just 5,000km, they said we needed the full second service. The garage is a Renault garage.
We know nothing about cars other than how to drive them. According to the documents we got from Renault the service intervals are every 30,000km or every year.
Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Cars with variable service intervals are affected by the sort of driving you do. Do lots of long distance driving and the service now message will arrive after a high mileage, do lots of short, stop-start journeys and the message will arrive very quickly.

Needing new brake pads at 26,000 km is not good at all. On one of my cars the front brake pads needed changing at 120,000km, on the other all the pads were still OK at 160,000.

I can stand to be corrected but I believe there is also another reason to carry out the recommended servicing. If there is a major failing in the car and you have it under guarantee (finance schemes etc) they may use the fact that you have not done the routine recommended servicing as an out for not repairing the car at their cost.