Long overdue

Lehaut

I wonder how much extra that will add to the cost of a new car and the cost to people with older cars in 2024?
Good idea as long as it doesn't become a "big brother" watching you thing. I'd place bets on the insurance companies coming into the picture at some point.

I know that in the UK provisional drivers can have a "black box" fitted as part of a cheaper insurance package. It monitors their driving and gives monthly updates to the insurance company. As it has a direct impact on their wallets, it is quite successful. It can also be used by drivers with previous convictions.

It got to the stage with our friends daughter in the UK that she would not lend her mother her car as she infringed the safe driving parameters all the time!

[quote user="anotherbanana"]Given the fragility of electronic tech in cars I doubt it will work for long, necessitating expensive repairs for drivers.[/quote]

Leaving aside the BS spoken by garagistes in order to facilitate another sale of parts, the electronics are far more stable in general than the mechanical parts.