Saving money in the kitchen

Moorejw

We've done just that : After 10 years of 'not a real kitchen, just a jumble of shelves', we finally made a real kitchen a couple of years ago. As there are only 2 or us, and a lot of the time just me, we decided to give out old Belling double oven electric cooker the boot. We replaced it with a gas hob and a small Rowenta freestanding oven which we have built in over the microwave.

We also have a Godin cuisinière which has a big oven should we need it, though we would only use it in the colder months as it chucks out the heat.

We reckon we have saved a fortune in electricity bills by changing over. I appreciate that this would not suit a larger family, but for us it's great !

[quote user="Moorejw"]If you heat up your main oven (3Kw) just to make a rice pudding or cook a casserole for two, why not invest in a smaller freestanding (1200w) oven or a Remushka (60 w - from lakeland). the saving on electricity makes the layout well worth it.[/quote]

Why not make more than 'just a rice pudding etc', cook for the freezer, maximise the heat energy you are paying for. This applies to all cooking heat sources not just electricity.

[quote user="Moorejw"]If you heat up your main oven (3Kw) just to make a rice pudding or cook a casserole for two, why not invest in a smaller freestanding (1200w) oven or a Remushka (60 w - from lakeland). the saving on electricity makes the layout well worth it.[/quote]

I had a Remoska for my birthday in September (how sad is that!) and calculate that we have saved quite a large amount of electricity, compared to having the big oven on. I can heartily recommend them.

[quote user="KathyC"]

I had a Remoska for my birthday in September (how sad is that!) and calculate that we have saved quite a large amount of electricity, compared to having the big oven on. I can heartily recommend them.

[/quote]

Would you like to share your calculation for the benefit of forum users?

[quote user="ErnieY"]A good idea and I think 'er indoors will be getting one but I question the 60W quoted by Moorejw. According to the WEB SITE even the baby one is rated @ 230W.

Happy new year to all

[/quote]

Sorry mate that links got % signs in it, no way will it work.[blink]

http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/What%20is%20a%20Remoska.htm

http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/WhatisaRemoska.htm

I am still none the wiser though![:D]

And my Google not going to well on Czech!

we are planning to replace our old wood burning range oven with a more upto date version with a back boiler,  so instead of stoking a wooburning fire we stoke a woodburning cooker/oven which heats the room, 6 radiators and the hot water!   and with not a elec switch thrown!  we have a gas cooker should we need a quick fix but it seems obvious that our planned system will be a great saving!

summers we will use the gas cooker and BBQ and hot water by elec but the tanks here are so efficient it costs pennies.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Looks very pretty, anyone off to Prague shortly?

http://www.remoska.cz/web/index.php

The 0.9 litre one would do nicely and only 230 watts.

Využitelný objem0,9 litrů
Počet porcí1 - 2
Průměr mísy19 cm
Celková váha1,60 kg
Jmenovitý příkon230 W
Jmenovité napětí230 V / 50 Hz
Doporučená cena2 150,- Kč

[/quote]

I believe that Remoskas are cheaper from Lakeland than they are direct from the manufacturers and you also get the benefit of Lakeland's after sales service which is brilliant. They ship to France.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Link I posted is perfectly valid and works for me [;-)]

http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.co.uk/What%20is%20a%20Remoska.htm

%20 is just web speak for a space [geek]

[/quote]

Copy the URL as is then clean your Internet Cache then paste in your address bar and.....

Not Found

The requested URL /What is a Remoska.htm was not found on this server.[:-))][:-))][:-))]

[quote user="Lesley1952"]I have the bravoska an oval version of the lakeland model BUt it does have the advantage of having the heat source on the bottom or the top I use it if I cannot utilise all the oven and its great for holidays etc i got mine from ebay.[/quote]

Bravoska

Edit: more details

Bravoska manual: http://www.headings.co.uk/shop/images/bravoska_manual.pdf

• Bravoska: 1250W / Remoska Standard: 470W
  • Bravoska XL: 1700W / Remoska XL (Grand): 650W

"Well known Beefburgers

The above instructions are guidelines only. 

Please ensure your burgers are served piping hot and cooked throughout, till no

pink meat
remains."

Don't see that going down well in France!

When I was working the 'steak hachés' in the canteen were always running with blood...