MAAF Car Insurance

Benjamin

Also, when you've had three years claim-free cover, you qualify for a Bonus for Life.

So having written off 11K's worth of BMW last summer, my 2009 premium shows no increase.

And yes, their claims service are exceptional.  They paid out our vehicle loss with the full market value and negotiated a very satisfactory injury compensation claim against the other insurer - without even being asked to do it........[;-)]

I got only very slightly less for my little car than I was offered by the dealer two years previously!

S/D, you wouldn't like to tell me how much you got in injury compensation would you?[:D] Seriously, the jury is still out as to which of the other two drivers was at fault but meanwhile they gave me a couple of thousand euros to be getting on with.  I had a two hour examination by their tame doctor the other day and have been really impressed by the way they're dealing with the whole thing.

I'll PM you with the figures.....[:)]

Compensation for injury arising from road traffic accidents is calculated on several criteria.  The [url=http://www.fnvictimesdelaroute.asso.fr/calcul_prejudices.htm#PE]Association of Victims of Traffic Accidents[/url] explains the whole process and gives examples of typical awards, albeit based on the Bordeaux tribunal who are notoriously generous.....

MAAF is one of the largest insurers in France.  They are a mutuelle (ie, owned by their members) whereas AXA is a commercial company who generally operates through a network of local agents.

Are you saying that your friends have obtained cover from an AXA agent for vehicles which they have no intention of legally registering here in France? 

Are you thinking of doing the same?  

SD and Cooperlola you have convinced me to change to Maaf this year even if it costs a bit more, I have very little confidence in my shyster of an AXA agent, I am pretty sure that he continues to insure my car as a berline not a break ("dont worry the computer shows it as a break, what? no you cant look at the screen!") and despite my warnings about la loi chatel the last two times, he still sends out the renewal notice (dated one month before) on the 31st December for renewal on the 1st of Jan.

Maybe the introductory discount (I might try asking for that in French [;-)]) may make it rentable this year.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]and despite my warnings about la loi chatel the last two times, he still sends out the renewal notice (dated one month before) on the 31st December for renewal on the 1st of Jan.[/quote]From similar experience this must be standard AXA operating procedure methinks. I may be wrong here but in such circumstances I think the postmark on the envelope can be used to prove they haven't sent it within time.

SD ?

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

and despite my warnings about la loi chatel the last two times, he still sends out the renewal notice (dated one month before) on the 31st December for renewal on the 1st of Jan.

[/quote]

You have 20 days from the date of the postmark on the envelope to cancel the insurance.  This is what the Loi Chatel says.

Yes, they have found a controle technique that accepts that they have UK cars and doesn't require them to change the headlights.  Axa still insured them.  As they don't take the cars back, I can't see the point except they save the cost of new headlights - a few hundred euros, so a consideration.  We may well use our car to go to the UK some time but I don't know if the UK police care if we have right hand drive headlights. 

Llantony, presumably these are the same friends who gave you tax advice....[:D]

I agree with you, what's the point?  I also return regularly to the UK and of course lhd lights are a pain for UK drivers coming towards you.  However, putting them on their lowest setting (if they adjust) or masking the dip as one would if visiting Europe in an rhd car should suffice to avoid being a danger to other road users.

Could it be time to trot out the oft-repeated warning about whether insurance is valid when a car is being operated illegally?

Perhaps it could be combined with a warning about failing to declare bank interest.  Two warnings for the price of one.