Insulation tips

milkeybar kid

We do exactly the same!!!! Only we use sheets of fibreglass that have the aluminum on one side!!

On the south side my OH did a DIY double glazing job by buying the glass cut to size - some battening and a little putty.

Both jobs save an enormous amount of heat loss from the house.

Lucinda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On our French doors in the dining room in our cottage in the U.K. I got 2 sheets of toughened glass that covered the complete glazed part of the doors. I then held them in place with glazing sprigs and ran a bead of silicon rubber round it. I left it for 24 hours and then removed the glazing sprigs. It worked very well for years and years.

The only way that the glass will come back off of the doors is if you cut it off by cutting round the silicon rubber. Other than that it's there for life!!

Simple and effective. The only thing to do is to make sure that the glass is completely clean It's very important to use toughened glass for safety!!!

[quote user="martyng"]But anyone know the best way to (DIY) double glaze our doors out onto the terrace - 3 double doors, 12 small panes of glass in each door ...?![/quote]

On our wooden windows, I just routed out the internal side of the panels and plopped glass in thereby doubleglazing it. One day, I'll get round to putting putty over to seal it properly.

R

Have you considered acrylic sheet, covering the whole 12 panes, draught strip round edges and then screwed to door using screw caps for aesthetic effect. This would be removable for summer / cleaning, much stronger than glass in terms of accidental breakage and lighter than glass hence less potential hinge problems.

I suspect it is also better than glass thermally but dont have the info at hand.

We did the acrylic sheet version over a large window back in the 80's when we were young marrieds and it worked really well, I can remember we used some type of clips to hold the sheet in place and then just unclipped it in the warmer weather.

Suey

[quote user="martyng"]But anyone know the best way to (DIY) double glaze our doors out onto the terrace - 3 double doors, 12 small panes of glass in each door ...?![/quote]

You can buy clear polycarbonate sheets in different thicknesses at most of the bricos. Fit them in aluminium channel around the outside of the door and you can remove it in the summer.

Its not cheap but its virtually unbreakable and therefore safe to use.

edit: Note to self. Read all the other posts before posting....................[:D][:D]

We've just had a delivery of gas (very expensive) which we use for central heating and cooking .. although we have a woodburner in one of the rooms and also have electric cookers as well. However, this is our first winter in France and we're surprised just how cold it is, so I'm interested to read any more insulation tips that people may have.

We have a large walk-in grenier upstairs where a lot of stuff is stored and the roof is just tiles. Mr. Nectarine suggests putting insulation on the roof beams but that would still mean that our heat is going up into the unused grenier and heating that large open space. Does anyone know of any insulating sheets that we could put on the floor of the grenier (effectively our accommodation ceiling) but which could still be walked over occasionally when we go up into the loft?

Thanks

[quote user="nectarine"]We've just had a delivery of gas (very expensive) which we use for central heating and cooking .. although we have a woodburner in one of the rooms and also have electric cookers as well. However, this is our first winter in France and we're surprised just how cold it is, so I'm interested to read any more insulation tips that people may have.

We have a large walk-in grenier upstairs where a lot of stuff is stored and the roof is just tiles. Mr. Nectarine suggests putting insulation on the roof beams but that would still mean that our heat is going up into the unused grenier and heating that large open space. Does anyone know of any insulating sheets that we could put on the floor of the grenier (effectively our accommodation ceiling) but which could still be walked over occasionally when we go up into the loft?

Thanks[/quote]

You can use the same glass fibre or rock-wool rolls as for the roof, laid between the joists, or there are granulated products which you pour between the joists. You can then lay a  floor (complete or partial ) of building boards or planks to access your storage.

Nectarine speaks of a "walk in grenier" which I take to mean already boarded out, so rockwool or similar is out wothout ripping up the floor.

My suggestion is to use sheets of extruded, not expanded, polystyrene, these will stand walking on (but be carefull of the edges) at a later date you could use them to insulate the inside of the roof.

You will have to live a long time to see a return on this investment, except for comfort perhaps so I suggest you think of ways to re-use them later on.

Alternatively if you can re-arrange your stuff in the grenier to give a clear space above the room(s) in question you could roll out some fibre de verre above it, I did this above a makeshift bedroom in my property during the first winter and it made a surprising difference, when I was finally forced by sub zero temperatures to live in a tent in the main piéce I draped the rolls over it to create a yurt. I think if the winter of 2005 was as cold as this one I may have bailed out to a hotel!