What a great idea!!

trastu

[quote user="bigears"]The issue for me is how expensive france has become in the last 10 years.  Just come back from germany/austria and found basic food stuffs cheaper than france.[/quote]

Probably not quite that long , as I remember having a conversation at the time France joined the Euro (2002) that supermarket prices were on a par with the UK .

Not any more!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if you are aware that there is a company who have a depot in UK and Asda and Tescos will deliver to them and they in turn bring it here to quite a few drop off points. They do charge for this, 15% of the total bill but bearing in mind they have refridgerated vans and the cost of the ferries  etc. It has to be worth it to get all the things we really do miss. Their site is www.sterlingshopping.uk.co so have a  look if you do miss certain items here. I am interested as our pensions are  paid into English banks (  no choice ) so we could save quite a bit of money avoiding the dismal echange rate at present and also the rising prices here.

Purely as an exercise I did go and look at the Brit supermarket websites and, apart from a few odd items, found very few things I miss or even remember. My local Brit shop has any others I might want, and there are very, very few. I think I prefer Indian and Chinese ingredients which I source in Belgium.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

Move to France and miss English produce. Hmmm.

There are other things I might miss but, with the exception of decent tea, supermarket food is not one of them.

[/quote]

Vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo

and thai, singaporean, hot vietnamese, cantonese ......

• 1 month later...
[+o(]Veggie in France, beer

Not moved to France yet, but when I'm there I miss very little UK food. What I do miss, as a veggie, is Quorn! I'm trying to wean myself off it, in preparation for the eventual move. I've recently discovered alcohol-free beer in the UK ( handy if you fancy a drink but also want to go upstairs upright, not on hands and knees). I thought it wouldn't exist in France, but it does, and I've found some much cheaper than in UK - 10 x 25c bottles at about 21 centines each, in LeClerc. I don't normally drink beer or lager, but to me, this tastes of something, whereas British stuff doesn't. I expect serious beer-drinkers out there are groaning! Sorry.

I agree with you Kate re the beer. It took me 8 years in Australia to get used to Aussie beer (or lager), and when I drink English beer now, it just tastes flat.

I still prefer Aussie beer to European beers, it's not as sweet, but I do prefer European beers to English ones.

Interesting how many European, Australian and even American beers are found easily throughout the world, yet you rarely see an English beer overseas.

[quote user="Kate"]Not moved to France yet, but when I'm there I miss very little UK food. What I do miss, as a veggie, is Quorn! I'm trying to wean myself off it, in preparation for the eventual move. I've recently discovered alcohol-free beer in the UK ( handy if you fancy a drink but also want to go upstairs upright, not on hands and knees). I thought it wouldn't exist in France, but it does, and I've found some much cheaper than in UK - 10 x 25c bottles at about 21 centines each, in LeClerc. I don't normally drink beer or lager, but to me, this tastes of something, whereas British stuff doesn't. I expect serious beer-drinkers out there are groaning! Sorry.[/quote]

Kate you should make sure you have a good look at the restaurants around as finding veggie food can be a nightmare.  I have veggie relatives and was often embarrassed y the french reaction to a request for a veggie option.  I am glad though that on being offered one one time I asked how it was made and was told 'we take the meat out of the vegetarians portion once it's cooked, nice!!