Cereals.....recommendations.

Chatting with a friend who is good at checking prices... she gave me a shock..I had not noticed until she said that ....

Cornflakes Kellogs at Auchan €3.25 for 500gms

Kellogs Cornflakes 500gms at Tesco on line £1.92.

Kellogs All bran Auchan 500gms €3.04

Kellogs all bran 500gms Tesco on line £1.59

A huge difference in price for the same product .Can anyone recommend equivalent to kellogs but not as expensive,please.

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Chatting with a friend who is good at checking prices... she gave me a shock..I had not noticed until she said that .... Cornflakes Kellogs at Auchan €3.25 for 500gms Kellogs Cornflakes 500gms at Tesco on line £1.92. Kellogs All bran Auchan 500gms €3.04 Kellogs all bran 500gms Tesco on line £1.59 A huge difference in price for the same product .Can anyone recommend equivalent to kellogs but not as expensive,please.[/quote]

Anyone eating "cornflakes" is automaticly over charged what ever price they pay, [:D]  Urban myth says there is more protein in the box than the product, might just turn out to be a myth that is true[Www]

Lidl is the place for cereals - they were recently doing two for one - 500gms bran flakes and fruit flakes plus other types. Even without the offer they are significantly better value.

Chilean red wine 1.50 euros a bottle this week too.

I am a magic porridge girl - much cheaper and you know what goes in it. (I crush a few sunflower and pumpkin seeds with a couple of almonds and hazelnuts and add some dried fruit, a few cran and/or gogi berries, 1 prunes, 1 apricot, slice of dried apple and/or pear).

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Swissie"]I am a magic porridge girl - much cheaper and you know what goes in it. (I crush a few sunflower and pumpkin seeds with a couple of almonds and hazelnuts and add some dried fruit, a few cran and/or gogi berries, 1 prunes, 1 apricot, slice of dried apple and/or pear).
[/quote]

Yes I bring porridge back from the UK in bulk! I have to confess to having it with brown sugar and made with milk, so not so healthy as yours Swissie! I also use it in my dogs' biscuits that I bake.

[quote user="NickP"]

Anyone eating "cornflakes" is automaticly over charged what ever price they pay, [:D]  Urban myth says there is more protein in the box than the product, might just turn out to be a myth that is true[Www]

[/quote]

Not really an urban myth - but now out of date.

Cornflakes were invented by Dr John Harvey Kellogg - probably one of the saddest and nastiest people who ever lived. He believed that sexual intercourse was debilitating and bad - he invented the corn flake as a food which provided no nourishment of any kind thus providing no energy which people could squander in sexual activity. Modern cornflakes are made by the Kellogg company (actually founded by his brother William Keith - with whom he later fell out) and which which now has no link with its founder. Cornflakes are now are enriched with all sorts of nutricious supplements. Read the packet.

Incidentally, J H Kellogg was probably responsible for the widespread adoption in the USA and elsewhere of male circumcision (without an anaesthetic), which he argued would reduce the evil of masturbation. He also advocated putting a drop of phenol onto the clitoris of young girls which would serve a similar purpose. He also recommended, to protect children from this "solitary vice", various practices such as tying their hands together, covering their genitals with metal cages, sewing the foreskin shut and administering electrical shocks.