Mail order from outside the EU

Araucaria

I sent myself a large box from the US last time I was there, via UPS I made a customs declaration stating that the goods had no commercial value, When UPS France received the package they phoned me up to ask what was in the package and the value and when I told them it was mostly my clothes (cos I bought loads of stuff in the US which I brought home in my suitcase), they were fine. Nothing to pay.

Rowan

I don't really mind being charged the duty - it's my choice to order from South Africa (it's a sun-hat very similar to the Tilley J3, but a lot cheaper). What I don't want is to find the parcel gets stopped in Paris or Toulouse, and that I have to appoint an official/approved customs agent to pay the duty for me and clear it through customs. I'd hoped there might be some COD arrangement.

I'll report any news - but I won't be holding my breath. It'll take time. Maybe for next summer's sun!

I hope you have nothing to pay.  However, my brother-in-law sent us a Christmas box, last December from Canada.  Mainly kids toys, and Aviation magazines.  Nothing of high value, and we were charged 70 euros.  I was incandesent with rage. 

[quote user="Gemonimo"]I've just ordered two pairs of lightweight walking trousers from LLBean in the US so if there is no duty payable I'll be very happy.  However, if I'm charged I'll let you know.[/quote]

I got charged when I bought stuff from them (I'm in the UK) - the value is on the outside of the parcel if I remember correctly

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Gemonimo"]I've just ordered two pairs of lightweight walking trousers from LLBean in the US so if there is no duty payable I'll be very happy.  However, if I'm charged I'll let you know.[/quote]

I got charged when I bought stuff from them (I'm in the UK) - the value is on the outside of the parcel if I remember correctly
[/quote]

Package arrived this morning.  $99.00 for two pairs of fabulous trousers and NO duty! Made up for a rubbish start to the day!

Got two motorcycle helmets shipped from California to my mother's place in France to ensure we would have it for the summer. As luck would have it, i got charged around €40 for both and had to send the money first before they came back to deliver the item. I think it depends on which service you use (courier or Post Office) and luck of the draw at the sorting office.

Gemonimo, which courier system did they use for your pants?????

I believe that pilgrims started from their front doors!  A logical place, if ever there is one.

Eric, you might like to consider walking from Mont St Michel.  I have heard that Scandinavian and other northern European pilgrims often choose this route.

Another traditional choice is to start from le Puy en Velay.

We started from St Jean Pied Port and did the walk over the Pyrenees in one weekend in July and now we start from Roncesvalles.

Apologies for going off topic but I wanted to answer Eric's query.[:)]