Last day to use your NW debit card for....

mint

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a bit of a tangent... but still related to NW....

With the new travel insurance they now "give us" as a sop to the currency changes, did anyone receive a personal policy number, identifier or the like to quote if you have to call up to make a claim or get assistance?

We've only got the booklet with the policy T&Cs etc. 

Hi DerekJ

I had a leaflet come through about the FREE travel insurance, its a con, I am a diabectic type 2, never been a problem, can still drive etc etc, they quoted me £80 for the free insurance, just for me, I have insurance with HSBC for that amount for both my wife an I, no age retrictions or conditions, I wrote to Nationwide about this and the charging on cards in France, they said the diabetus was a notifiable complaint, nobody else has said so, and that the cards was only being used by I believe 12% of people, dont know what has to do with anything, typical answer always a get out by insurers and banks.

Colin E

As has been mentioned elsewhere the insurance is unavailable to non UK residents and thus worthless to most here. Even for those who do qualify it only covers the first named account holder not spouses or dependants for whom additional premiums are payable.

A shabby deal for loyal NW customers.

[quote user="AnOther"]Even for those who do qualify it only covers the first named account holder not spouses or dependants for whom additional premiums are payable.

[/quote]

My understanding (after speaking with NW) is that with joint accounts both account holders are covered. Have you seen something to the contrary?

If you take out money on your Nationwide card today whilst the debit will be pré-autorisé immediately the sum will not be debited for a couple of days even a few weeks in extreme cases according to your French bank.

So regretfully I suggest that filling your boots today will be a false economy, of course the exchange rate may drop in which case it may not be or it may continue to rise.

You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky? - Well do you punk? [:P]

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="AnOther"]Even for those who do qualify it only covers the first named account holder not spouses or dependants for whom additional premiums are payable.

[/quote]

My understanding (after speaking with NW) is that with joint accounts both account holders are covered. Have you seen something to the contrary?
[/quote]

That's what Nationwide has confirmed to us in writing, and also that the insurance is valid until we're each 75.

It's somewhat misleading as on the one hand it says the A/C holder is covered but spouse/family cover is an upgrade

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/insurance/traveloptions/flextravelcover/upgrade.htm

whilst on the other it says:

'If you add someone to your account they will benefit from the free travel cover subject to the age restrictions.'

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/insurance/traveloptions/flextravelcover/questions.htm

Must say they are leaving it a bit late to cave in to customer reaction and drop the charging policy [Www]

We will be transferring our funds to a new Halifax account but with a monthly funds transfer to Santander as from tomorrow.  So we should get £100 bonus on one account, a £5 a month bonus on the other and 5% net interest.  We'll just keep a small balance in NW...  We just use our NW credit card and pay it off by DD.

Mrs R51

[quote user="elamessa"]I will be using my Credit Card and pay it off monthly,  so NW will get no charges out of me.[:P]

[/quote]

If you mean that you will take out cash from the machine, then yes they will. Interest is charged from the time of withdrawal on a credit card.

[quote user="Richard51"]We will be transferring our funds to a new Halifax account but with a monthly funds transfer to Santander as from tomorrow.  So we should get £100 bonus on one account, a £5 a month bonus on the other and 5% net interest.  We'll just keep a small balance in NW...  We just use our NW credit card and pay it off by DD.

Mrs R51
[/quote]

Lucky you!  For those of us who have moved permanently to France and no longer have a UK address, no new bank account, Halifax or others, is possible.

Of course, there are the French banks but I don't want to talk about them on a Sunday evening in case some profane and very bad language gets used!

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="elamessa"]I will be using my Credit Card and pay it off monthly,  so NW will get no charges out of me.[:P]

[/quote]

If you mean that you will take out cash from the machine, then yes they will. Interest is charged from the time of withdrawal on a credit card.

[/quote]

I meant pay for shopping/fuel etc, I'm not stupid enough to withdraw money using my credit card, although some may think I am.[;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Richard51"]We will be transferring our funds to a new Halifax account but with a monthly funds transfer to Santander as from tomorrow.  So we should get £100 bonus on one account, a £5 a month bonus on the other and 5% net interest.  We'll just keep a small balance in NW...  We just use our NW credit card and pay it off by DD.

Mrs R51

[/quote]

Lucky you!  For those of us who have moved permanently to France and no longer have a UK address, no new bank account, Halifax or others, is possible.

[/quote]

I mentioned the banks for the benefit of those on the forum who still live in the UK and may have changed their bank account to use the NW debit card while in France.

I sent a message to Nationwide via my online account. Someone phoned me in France! He seemed to understand our problem and said if I use the credit card for purchases AND transfer money to the credit card account the same day, there will be no charges. I mentioned that usually one has up to a month to pay off the card. Maybe that doesn't apply abroad?

I tried using the credit card for petrol at the local Intermarche but it wouldn't work! Our debit card always did..

I thought of Britline but it's so complicatated and they insist NW send a reference straight to them. NW said they don't do that!

No, no, Llantony, you can use the credit card as normal, the exchange rate is whatever the going rate is, and you can still pay at the end of the payment period as normal.

No problem there.  The only thing that the debit card allowed us to do was take out money when the rate was good and, if the rate was bad, you could at least take out small amounts and thus "spread" the cost of the money.

Don't worry about paying on the same day; pay at the time the card is due paying.

I have just got us the new Halifax clarity credit cards which have no charges. I called Halifax and they said that, if I withdrew CASH on the CREDIT card and paid off the card (via our online bank account) immediatley there would be no charges. Would this not work on the nationwide card?

Pouyade

[quote user="pouyade"]I have just got us the new Halifax clarity credit cards which have no charges. I called Halifax and they said that, if I withdrew CASH on the CREDIT card and paid off the card (via our online bank account) immediatley there would be no charges. Would this not work on the nationwide card?

Pouyade[/quote]

We have one of those as well.  It was recommended as being cheaper than using the NW debit card (post 1 Nov) - even allowing for the interest charge that would accrue from the withdrawal until the due date.  I'm going to withdraw €50 on each card when we are in France next week to compare.

Mrs R51

Even if you did pay it off online the same day NW will still charge you a fee of 2.5% (minimum £3.00) of the amount withdrawn on each cash advance.

The Halifax Clarity card does not appear to attract any such fees and if you can either preload it or draw up to your credit limit at any time without charge it would seem to be a must have asset for those who can get one.