Switching from EDF to another company for electricity

Hereford

Has anyone switched electricity suppliers here in France yet?  We were (cold)  telephoned by a chap yesterday but said we wanted to see something in writing about it - not just a telephone call !  He gave us a website address but we have clearly written it down wrong - we had thought we might have missed the last bit.  It sounded like www.eva ????.fr

Any thoughts, or advice if you have changed. In the UK it is common but it seems to be new here.

Many thanks - chap will phone again after the week-end so need info...

H.

I, too, have had this at the back of my mind.  The French neighbours at our previous house was with some people called Energy Direct.  She compared the cost per therm for me and, indeed both the normal and cheap rates were marginally less than EDF.

Having just moved house (move not even completed), I have had other things on my mind but I will have another look and it would be good if you'd come back after the weekend and give us some info

Try this site

http://www.jechange.fr/

which is basically a french comparison site for electricity, mobiles, telephones, car insurance etc.

When you go into electricity 'direct energie' often come up to be cheapest - you can put in estimated or actual useage and it will give you an estimated saving.

We used them for a new property and have had no problems - but can't really compare the prices as its a brand new building - they advertise slightly cheaper prices. Have tried to contact customer services on occasion and found they don't respond (probably only go a couple of staff) but other than that its fine - plus we can take the readings whenever we like and enter them on the web site, so we don't get the ridiculous estimated bills we got from edf elsewhere.

Edf still own the meter and do anything to do with that like changing your supply, but you only ever pay direct energie.

Thanks CM - will look at website - might even manage to work out who telephoned us!

We use a lot of electricity - all electric house - so would be good to save a bit.

You say you can enter readings on website so do not get estimated bills - we have been paying monthly over the whole year. We wonder if that is possible and how transfer of what we have paid this year could be done. Could get messy.

Just had a look at the "jechange" website -for us it hardly seems worth the effort to change.  Our very high usage shows very little savings and we feel could present a lot of hassle!  Impossible to see from individual company websites whether they accept monthly payments or not - they want to telephone one to discuss, whereas we would rather be able to find info on their websites.

A useful website however that we have bookmarked.

Thanks for input.

H.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

"jechangepas"[:)]

That site is misleading, possibly an error possibly not...[6]

Scroll down to bottom of page and one can see the offers are VERY selective and do NOT include SEOLIS.

Frankly I trust a reglamented supplier.

http://www.seolis.net/Ouverture-du-marche

[/quote]

I suspected as much, which is why I posted the link to the official website energy consumers website, which was set up by the energy regulators, the energy mediator and the DGCCRF (French government consumers and anti-fraud dept).

But isn't Seolis one of the local independent EdFs hence it's prices are the same as EDF?

Out of curiosity do people who live in these independent areas now have the option to sign up for EdF? I assume not. Or if they do only for the expensive competitive tariff!

[quote user="BJSLIV"]But isn't Seolis one of the local independent EdFs hence it's prices are the same as EDF? Out of curiosity do people who live in these independent areas now have the option to sign up for EdF? I assume not. Or if they do only for the expensive competitive tariff![/quote]

SIEDS started in 1923 specifically to bring electricity to the rural communes of Deux-Sèvres. The EDF started in 1946 after the Second World War. SIEDS continues to exercise as a separate entity; it is reglemented in respect of prices of supply. In 2006 there was an association with a similar entity in La Vienne called Sorégies, this terminated in 2008. Séolis supplies some 160,000 residents of Deux-Sèvres.

In response to the question about whether customer of indepenant services can change, I think not. My juice comes from the town Regie and I've just used that official site to see if I can get it cheaper. The site doesn't show me any other options!