Make your cleaning products go further

mint

[quote user="cornfield"][quote user="pachapapa"]So which product is correct for my flat screen plasma TV?[/quote]

I've heard ebay is very good.
[/quote]

Ah! Splendid! Samsung SAV told me any type of vinegar would invalidate the manufacturer' warranty.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="britgirl"]

'fess up Sweets. Bet you once had this lurking at the back of the cupboard under the sink.[:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Y93daLAeo&feature=related

[/quote]

I'd use it except that I'd be afraid that it would make me just as demented as that woman...

Imagine, vacuuming as the same time as singing and dancing?  No can do.

[/quote]

Sweet17 you don't do household tasks when not singing and dancing? I have poorly old knees now and I cannot sing to save my life, but when alone and am not offending anyone else I just do it. Find it puts a little fun into the most unfun thing I know.

I use those microfibre cloths a lot these days and the magic sponges, both only need water with them and they are very good.

I used to use bleach in our loo in France, there is a dearer one that is OK with fosse septique and it did the job well. If I am using bleach on the seat I always rinse it well with clean water these days. Friend got their black trousers 'bleached' when I hadn't.

Wooly why not get une bonne, aren't there any ladies in the village who would come and do for you? That really is the expression that they use around here,don't know about anywhere else though.

The ladies in my village were very nice actually. In fact a couple of friends were 'bonnes' and didn't report back anything untoward, ever. 

Mind you Martine and I did have a good laugh one day, we were looking through a woman's magazine and there was an article about naked cleaners. We both looked at one another at the same instant and then howled with laughter. I did point out that she probably earn a lot more, but she said no; I think that she thought I was serious. Not that I would have been disapproving if she had to gone for it.[:-))]

[quote user="idun"]

I use those microfibre cloths a lot these days and the magic sponges, both only need water with them and they are very good.

I used to use bleach in our loo in France, there is a dearer one that is OK with fosse septique and it did the job well. If I am using bleach on the seat I always rinse it well with clean water these days. Friend got their black trousers 'bleached' when I hadn't.

[/quote]

Got to get this right in the interests of accuracy, idun.

The idea of the spray bleach is that you are only using a smidgen so no danger to the fosse or to people's clothes.  I spray the loo and then I use a mircofibre cloth to buff it so that no bleach remains on the seat or anywhere else.  It's just a lazy person's way of cleaning the loos and make them look as though I have spent hours on them with the old marigolds in one hand and a bottle of cleanser in the other.

Once I've done the cleaning, I can then try one or other of your recipes that I have been keeping for a while, from way back when I was a rookie on the forum [;-)]

They take me a couple of minutes, if that, to do and I

Sweet17

? My recipes, what recipes? I only remember leaving one a long long time ago, and that was mascarpone pastry. Have I left others?

Cornfield as you make up your own products. I have a  series of something like tiny drops of curry stains, on a pure wool jumper  any suggestion as to how to get these tiny marks off without damaging the wool please?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="idun"]

Cornfield as you make up your own products. I have a  series of something like tiny drops of curry stains, on a pure wool jumper  any suggestion as to how to get these tiny marks off without damaging the wool please?

[/quote]

No idea how to sort out this set of dribbles but in future wear a bib or remove your upper garments. Such stains are removed easily from skin.

John

Oil of eucalyptus on the stain to loosen, then Woolite in the machine

I am very excited by a tip I gleaned off the internet somewhere.

I regularly put something in a pan to cook, and then go upstairs (to the computer usually) - and forget it. This means I have pans that often get burnt. I have tried salt, bicarbonate of soda, boiling with this and that and then scraping, but the best tip I have ever come across is this, as you don't have to do ANYTHING!

Just put the burnt pan in full sun - in about 24 hours, the burnt stuff will have dried up and shrunk, and will come off by itself. It does work! I have just put it to the test after burning some apricots left to stew for ....a couple of hours. MAGIC. And no need for any "huile de coude".

[quote user="5-element"]

I am very excited by a tip I gleaned off the internet somewhere.

I regularly put something in a pan to cook, and then go upstairs (to the computer usually) - and forget it. This means I have pans that often get burnt. I have tried salt, bicarbonate of soda, boiling with this and that and then scraping, but the best tip I have ever come across is this, as you don't have to do ANYTHING!

Just put the burnt pan in full sun - in about 24 hours, the burnt stuff will have dried up and shrunk, and will come off by itself. It does work! I have just put it to the test after burning some apricots left to stew for ....a couple of hours. MAGIC. And no need for any "huile de coude".

[/quote]

I often wondered why my neighbour put her big casserole pot out on the terrace [:)]

Mind you, at the moment it is more likely to fill with rainwater . . .

Now THAT'S the sort of tip I like, 5-e.  I have forthwith put out my large paella pan in the sun.  The burnt stuff has been on it for yonks (although it's meant to be non-stick) and I have been getting bits off it each time I have worked on it.

I hope it will make your day as it has made mine, Sweet 17. Do come back and report (I thought it was an urban myth at first, and was astonished to see that it works!). Not only it is no effort, but it's also so écolo...

P.S. I forgot to mention that the thicker the black burnt area is, the easier it is for it to come off. Mine was totally appalling, not far from setting kitchen on fire I reckon.

Tinabee, rainwater, you should be so lucky - except of course, you are in Orne, so that's not so surprising.[:)]

Maybe your neighbour gets all her pans cleaned that way - either by sun, or by rain?

[quote user="5-element"]

Just put the burnt pan in full sun - in about 24 hours, the burnt stuff will have dried up and shrunk, [/quote]

I am sure that it would work in Picardie but i sure dont want to remain her for as many years as it takes to get a cumulative 24 hours of full sunshine [:D]

I often buy stained cast iron cookware like Le Creuset etc at rédéries and find that boiling bleach in them usually works well, some of mine have lost the glaze on the enamel and will quickly take on the colour of what is being cooked, choux rouge is the worst although thoe colour is squid blue so I often have to bleach my pans.

Do I not have to eat that either?

I have yet to find any in France other than at an exhorbitant, this is something special, no really it is, we have it you want it, why not feel posher than all the other mums with whiter whites etc etc etc, type of  price [:(]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Oil of eucalyptus on the stain to loosen, then Woolite in the machine

[/quote]

I'll give that a try. I know that I have some eucalyptus oil somewhere I'll have to find it and give it a go.

I do what Chancer does and  use bleach in my enamelled pans.

I have found this quite reassuring that other people have stuff that sticks to their pans and the pans get stained too. I see chefs on the tv and they just pop those heavy duty fait tout into the oven and then when they serve up the serving spoon hits the bottom of the pan and doesn't drag up little or big black bits.  In fact I am often quite canny about how I cook to avoid it, but sometimes even the best laid plans do not 'pan' out![Www]