Donating to Nepal appeal

Like many of us over here on fixed income I haven't got much cash to spare, but wanted to do something -if only a little thing- for the Nepall earthquake appeal.

Today I found that SuperU are accepting their loyalty points as donations to the appeal, in multiples of 50. I happen to have quite a few and was able to give them to the appeal. I don't know how much money they equate to, but every little helps. And IMHO better use for them than saving up for another kitchen appliance to keep in the cupboard!

From the BBC News:

'Also on Sunday, the United Nations said that the problem of customs controls holding up aid deliveries from the airport was "diminishing".'

So the Nepalese authorities are delaying aid getting through due to customs control!!!!!!!!!

Totally and utterly amazing.

Looking to make a modest donation through the french Red Cross their site indicated that 75% of the donation would go to fiscal processes. We looked for another way to give our contribution.

I am in touch with a French friend married to a Nepali who has family out there. They are setting up an association so that funds can be sent to Nepal and be used to buy food and medication. i.e. the association's organisers on the spot will drive out to the countryside and buy rice etc in the unaffected areas.

When it is up and running later this week, I could pass the details on to anyone interested in that avenue.

Angela

[quote user="Kong"]I used DEC (Disaster emergency committee in the UK), but then I have UK bank accounts. To be honest I don't know what they take, but looking at their websites, it ain't 75%![/quote]

Thanks, Kong.  I have a UK bank account too so that could be the easiest way.