Oil - buy local or via Internet?

PaulT

A couple of years ago I obtained a quote for oil from an Internet company, wnet with my local supplier as they were cheaper. Since then I have been bombarded with emails about their wonderful offers.

Just filled up now. The Internet company price for less than 1,000 litres 0.809 euros per litre with delivery in five days sooner and a higher price. Local company 0.746 euros per litre and delivered next day.

Just about to unsubscribe from the Internet company.

Gluey wrote:

'

Sorry to rain on your parade, Paul...

Last trip (back one week) our local little company charged 58 Cents per litre, plus naturally, the dreaded TVA.....livraison inclusive.

.69368 centimes/Litre. Date 08-10-16'

Whilst the 74.6 per litre included TVA the purpose of my posting was to highlight that boasts by Internet agents who like to claim how you will save money by using them are not always the cheapest hence, using them can mean you pay more.

Local, and for the service rather than the price.

I phone the guy up, he says he will deliver when he has the time. I go on with my life.

He knows where the oil tank is, fills it up and sends me the bill, which I go into his wee shop a few days later to pay.

No waiting around for the delivery, no trying to give directions to a tanker driver who doesnt know the area and no hassles of any kind.

Oh, and I get a free pen and if its near the end of the year a calender!

• 4 weeks later...
I have been going to a local supplier for the last four years and I always order in bulk , in early October I ordered 2000ltrs of premium and was quoted 0.654 centièmes = 1.308€ so buying in bulk is certainly worth it. The price does however depend on where you are in France.

I usually buy about 1000 litres and have found the local super market (in my case, Cora) is cheaper than the nationwide companies e.g. Bollore for that quantity.

You may also find local dealer company the pricing is in bands, up to 499l, 500-999l, 1000-4999l, etc.

If you can get neighbours to order together you might be able to get a further discount.