EDF in France, English speaking contact numbers

vivienz

In doing my utility research, I've come across the following page on the EDF site that lists dedicated English-speaking phone numbers for the various departments in France.

http://residential.edf.com/customer-services/contact/contact-us-by-phone-208807.html

Neither, really, Gardian.  I just thought it might be a useful snippet of information for anyone who was looking for this kind of thing.  Certainly not a recommendation as I have no experience of EDF in France or using these phone numbers.

Funnily enough, I had cause to phone them the other day as I needed to change our residential address in the UK, to which our bills are sent, and the website won't let you input a non-French address. I phoned the number on my bill, the bill being, naturally, entirely in French, with no indication that it was an "English speaking" number!

When I got through, the message played whilst I was on hold was in English, and eventually, after only a minute or so, a lady answered, also speaking to me in English. So I said, in French "Well that's 40years of my life that I'll never get back, wasted learning French; everyone wants to speak to me in English!" She burst out laughing and said "Well, now that you put it like that, I can speak to you in French if you prefer!" And we continued a very pleasant conversation in French. I think we probably got to the endgame much faster, and I was sure that she'd understood me.

Nothing to do with being a clever clogs, everything to do with the fact that if there are any mistakes or misunderstandings, I feel that they are entirely within my control if it's me that's speaking the foreign language.

• 1 year later...
But Betty, not everyone has your level of language expertise ... but you must agree, it IS much easier if you can talk in the same language ...though if it is not both sides native language misunderstandings can arise ... but better that than total incomprehension on one side.

[quote user="vivienz"]In doing my utility research, I've come across the following page on the EDF site that lists dedicated English-speaking phone numbers for the various departments in France.

http://residential.edf.com/customer-services/contact/contact-us-by-phone-208807.html

[/quote]Not here it doesn't, it brings up a Erreur 404 Page non trouvée and even if you click on the France Metropolitiane tab then Help and Contact then Contact EDF by phone all you get is the one catch all number:

+33 (0)9 69 36 63 83

If you've really found actual departmental numbers (which I doubt as I can't believe EDF have English help lines in every department) maybe better you just publish them.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="vivienz"]

[/quote]Not here it doesn't, it brings up a Erreur 404 Page non trouvée and even if you click on the France Metropolitiane tab then Help and Contact then Contact EDF by phone all you get is the one catch all number:

If you've really found actual departmental numbers (which I doubt as I can't believe EDF have English help lines in every department) maybe better you just publish them.

[/quote]

Well it works for me.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="vivienz"]In doing my utility research, I've come across the following page on the EDF site that lists dedicated English-speaking phone numbers for the various departments in France.

+33 (0)9 69 36 63 83

[/quote]

Well, I'm so terribly sorry that a post that I made nearly two years ago (from the date of your post) contains a link that is now out of date.  I shall be more careful when trying to be helpful in the future.

Even if you read a thread from the beginning one doesn't always notice the originating date, I'm sure many of us have unwittingly responded to a thread which somebody else has resurrected from the grave and in this instance you must lay that at Kate's feet not mine. 

Your link is still Erreur 404 Page non trouvé BTW although there are links on it which work I'm still not finding the numbers of which you speak are, all I see are contacts for France Metropolitan and the French overseas territories but maybe that's what you meant ?

The only number I can find departmentally is here but it's for emergencies not general inquiries.

As I said before then if you really have found actual departmental numbers then regardless of any petty squabble with me then for the benefit of others either post them or at at least post a link which works properly.

I know Bettys post is a couple of years old, but the old chestnut about UK postcodes not acceptable, I had to do something similar lately. Where it asked for a code postal I just put five zero's there and managed to put our UK post code within the address field.

It may help someone in the future.

English-Speaking Customer Service Helpline

EDF's English-speaking customer service helpline is 09 69 36 63 83 (or +339 69 36 63 83 for international customers who are dialing from abroad). Press 1 for technical support, or press 2 for customer service questions. This number is free when dialed from a French landline, but may be subject to charges when dialed from a mobile phone or from abroad.

EDF's regular customer service number (in French) is 09 69 32 15 15. It is also free when dialed from a French landline (but may be subject to mobile operator charges when dialed from a cell phone - check with your provider).

When to call the EDF Customer Helpline

Waiting times to reach a live customer agent vary throughout the day. In general, try to avoid calling EDF in the morning and especially on Monday. The best times to call EDF are midday and at the end of the week.

I have just found this number on google - I put in EDF contact English in the search.

I haven't tried it so please don't shoot me down if it doesn't work.f