Jaw dropping prices but where else to go?

Chancer

He sure did Kate, on The News Quiz on Radio 4 and I howled. I borrowed his words and modified them to fit the situation and I'm sure he would have agreed if he were still alive. He was a very funny man!

We used to use Waitrose a lot and I even went into Sainsburys once, but it just didn't have the class [Www]

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on the Elu story for Chancer, not sure when Elu was bought out, but DW was a known brand in the US for pull over saws and Elu well known in Europe. Years ago, when I worked for a company who supplied electromagnetic brakes for the Chop saws, we had to make 2 variants, one 240V for Elu branded and 110V for the DW. DW was used for the US market for high end market and Elu for Europe. Then it was decided to just go with the DW brand and Elu was no more.

I think some of the early drills were designed in the UK, but now all US.

Another aside but if you look on the Stanley tools website another takeover is in the offing.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I knew it was inevitable that this would degenerate into a much cheaper in England discussion, if anyone knows where to get better deals on these things in France please post.

For me at least I would gain the time and expense of ever more frequent UK shopping trips and the money could be spent in the French economy.

[/quote]

We bought some wine glasses yesterday  4.5 Euro a dozen, and 6 Euro a dozen for flutes. Funny  thing that, they are sold in dozens,Hmmmm

Here's an expensive and a cheap:

The zip in my fleece jacket broke so I went to the haderdashery shop ( don't know the french term) to get a new one - 10€!

So I said no thanks, and found a nice new fleece jacket in Mirande market for 12€.  [:)]

The mercerie that I went to is a business run by a young woman who never seems to have any customers. She's in an out-of-the-way spot and just stands there all day doing nothing. So I felt sorry for her and thought I'll get the zips there instead of the market (or ebay.) But they were so expensive and she has to order them as she doesn't have the size/colour.

But in the end I cancelled one (for the fleece) and she has ordered the other - a week ago now.I wonder what is the point of her staying in business?

Oh my god.................everything is cheaper !! Just come back to the UK for winter and to earn some pennies.

Been to the shops for the first time today and everything is cheaper.

Food, Electrical goods,Cloths, Shoes, household stuff, Luxury items,Christmas presents etc etc etc.

Still loooking forward to coming back to France but could be really tempted back by the cost of living over here at the minute.

No wonder people are doing their food shopping online and getting it delivered to France !!

Mel,

Just sit down with a nice glass of 1/2 price or less, to the U.K., wine and look up at the lovely blue sky and watch the thermometer climb up to the high teens, unless you are unlucky enought to live in N France, and think that when you have to get into your car the roads will be far less congested and not covered with a dirty, salty covering that will stay there till next March. Then think that the spring will soon be here again!

[8-|][8-|][8-|][B] there's no wine smiley!

Amen to that Jonzjob. We're off back to UK on Sunday, needs must, but we'll be back asap. The reasons you give are just so right! I'd add in the markets, the friendliness we find everywhere, the light which seems to have a different quality, amongst other things. I don't knock the UK generally, but the traffic and the weather, particularly recently, are things I'm pleased to be away from. I also find we don't spend as much when we're here - no JLP or M & S to tempt me when I go in to town. I do admit to bringing a lot down when we bring the car, though. [:)]

I agree with you GG even though we find things much dearer in france we spend so much less and the reverse is true even though things are so much cheaper in UK we spend somuch more !!!!.

We have only been back 3 weeks and have spent a fortune already -not on presents for other people but stuff  for meeeeeeeeeee.

Food in supertmarkets looks amazing and so cheap and the choise !!!!!!!!11 OH keeps chucking mince pies -hot cross buns ??  crumpets etc and other goodies in the trolly .

OH says I always serve upwonderful meals wherever we are whether in France or UK .

I must agree with Jonzjob & gardengirl , both make very valid points. I'm lucky in the fact that my wife and I spend as much time as possible in France, when we go to our home in Sussex the car is full, when we return to France, you guessed it, the car is full. There are "jaw dropping prices in both countries, the trick is to get the benefits of the bargains to be had in both countries. The main thing  that annoys me, France is covered in trees  and yet soft wood  is horrendously expensive and of very poor quality. Then you look at Oak and it's really cheap and excellent quality . Unfortunately there is a limit to the amount of wood you can get onto the roof rack of a car, doesn't matter which way you are travelling

On the subject of jaw dropping prices I went to our local hairdressers for the first time last time we were in France.  A colour, four foils and a trim - grand total 75E!!  My friend had foils and cut and blow dry and her bill came to 96E.  My normal bill in the UK for the same would be £32!

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="Iceni"]Di went to the local barber yesterday, cut, colour, wash and blow job, complete restyle for €40. Back in late 2003 this was €38. John[/quote]

I think you may mean "blow Dry" Iceni, [;-)]

[/quote]

Are you sure, maybe that's why the price has stayed low?

Sounds lovely, Cendrillon, keep it like that till Tuesday please; we'll come out of the tunnel around 6.30pm Monday, so it'll be dark. Today has been so beautiful again, blue sky, sunshine, around 16C. Avignon Christmas market was lovely, full of people, colour and entertainment; bought some Christmas presents, a santon for our collection, and had a lovely lunch at a restaurant I've been trying to eat at for ages. They had a lunchtime offer of 11 euros for the dish of the day and any of the desserts - amazing value when you think it's 2 minutes from Place de l'Horloge, with all the higher tourist prices. We had the full works at 60 euros for 2, including coffee and wine, with 2 limoncellos thrown in. As well as excellent food, such a pleasant atmosphere, too.

[quote user="Iceni"]NickP

I think not - in traditional tonsorial fashion he is a friend of Dorothy.

At least my post proved that one or two of you are awake.

John[/quote]

John, I'm sure you are correct and it's nice to know that you have a sense of humour,