Jaw dropping prices but where else to go?

Chancer

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimg

What Guernsey site would that be, having beforehand had accounts with RS, Farnell, CPC etc that is one thing that I cannot access as a particulier in France not that there is much out there.

I have (I hope) changed the title to perhaps bring some positive postings.

Todays contribution: - Bosch professional power tools, but you could also include Makita, Hitachi, Elu etc and bizzarely Black n Decker which is held, or perhaps more correctly marketed, in high esteem here in France.

I have a policy of when I have lunched two successive chinese power tools to then buy a tradesman tool, I eschew all the pretend craftsmen tools pushed by the bricos here with enticing names like McKenzie, Go-On!, Worx, Ideal power, Energer, Snood; McKerson and of course the mandatory Black n Decker and usually buy Bosch pro blue or Hitachi which have always served me well.

Recently I bought back from the UK a Bosch proffesional (blue casing) twin pack of SDS drill and angle grinder, I was a bit suspicious at the offer price of £99 for the two but firther inspection and use confirmed that they are indeed pro tools and not just a change of colour (the Bosch DIY range are green but still very good) well designed and expensive to make carrying cases, long power leads etc.

I have seen the equivalent Bosch green ones in the bricos for €200 each tool but for a direct comparison I checked at the nearest grossiste that stocks Bosch.

Over €250 for the drill and €175 plus for the angle grinder TTC after much haggling over the price.

I know that it was a special offer but they are still available a couple of months down the line and I have already taken orders from friends and neighbours, but there are always good deals like that in the UK its the markets way of fighting the recession whereas here every stock item will go up on the firts of Jan as it is traditional, 10% this year, 7.5% last year.

The grossiste is the only place within a 150km radius (maybe further as thats my limit of endurance) that I can find 350mm diamond discs for my petrol disc cutter, that can be tomorrows instalment.

What do you registered tradesmen out their do for tools and consumables, are any significant deals available to you?

Gardena hose adaptor in pool store 16 euros; online price £11 incl post and packing.

Most of us who live here know that, after the fall of the pound, there are few things which are cheaper, and many are considerably more expensive. Property, beer (but not English - Old Speckled Hen 2,11 euros) wine, maybe cigarettes but as a non-smoker I wouldn't know.

[quote user="Wicce"]Horse feed.  The stuff we use - if we can find it here - is over three times more expensive in France.   It's cheaper to go back to the U|K with a trailer - more than covers the cost.   And....we get to pick up any other goodies as well.   Such a shame as we would happily pay reasonable prices in France.
[/quote]On the other hand, Wicce, hay is a good deal cheaper and straw pretty much give-away price round here. 

BEWARE of shopping at Amazon.co.uk and having things sent to your French address!

Have just bought some walking shoes and walking boots and, guess what, although I deliberately used the UK site rather than the French one, the stuff  has been sent from Orleans and has been charged at 19.6% VAT plus P &P and then VAT on the P & P. 

So the goods, although on Clearance Sale, were not the bargain that I'd hoped.[:'(]

Unfortunately Douce it is the law that anything sold by U.K. companies and shipped to France is charged at the French TVA. It only seems to be observed by the larger companies who send a lot of stuff over though. As I said, a lot of stuff that used to be expensive with amazon.fr is now a lot cheaper.

A quick example   http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DVD-R

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DVD-R

The U.K. price is higher.

Jay, plus the return journey! Last time, the only time, we went to England the return trip by car cost well over £1000 so the saving would be slightly less for us unless we bought a huge truck load of them! Several thousand peut-êtra? Plus those on amazon.fr with the bayonette fitting are 30 watt, so beat that![:P]

True, Cooperlola, true.   Unfortunately, we have two horses allergic to dust in straw - nice expensive dust-free bedding needed there - and one who has somehow become allergic to something in  hay - so he needs a hay-free feed.   Honestly!   Who'd have horses!

Interesting thread this one with differing items being discussed. I have a 2002 Rover 25 which I bought in the UK last December, registered it in France in March. It was a one owner, low mileage car costing £1795.00. With tax and MOT. Our local garage has a 1999 Rover 200 with 149,000km on clock and he wants 2,900€. Also for me to replace headlights would cost (from Germany on Ebay) over £400[6], almost 20% of the price of the car itself.

tuppence

[quote user="Wicce"]True, Cooperlola, true.   Unfortunately, we have two horses allergic to dust in straw - nice expensive dust-free bedding needed there - and one who has somehow become allergic to something in  hay - so he needs a hay-free feed.   Honestly!   Who'd have horses!
[/quote][:D] Good question.  One of mine has a COPD but I soak the hay for 12 hours and she's fine.  The straw is far better quality, cut much longer than in the UK, but like you, I can't use it for the COPD pone.  I buy Copolit which costs several arms and several legs![:-))]

[quote user="Wicce"]True, Cooperlola, true.   Unfortunately, we have two horses allergic to dust in straw - nice expensive dust-free bedding needed there - and one who has somehow become allergic to something in  hay - so he needs a hay-free feed.   Honestly!   Who'd have horses!
[/quote]

Oh, I don't know Wicce? It tasts quite like beef last time I had it [:-))][6]!!