un peu decue

Jomo

My husband recently was interviewed by a UK subsidiary of one of the largest French construction companies for a post in France.The interview was arranged by an agency. Well the interview went very well and the HR guy in London was quite impressed and sent his CV over to France for the second stage of the interview process.We were quite optimistic and thought that if he had got past the first hurdle then we were on our way! Anyway to cut a long story short he didn`t get a second interview and was basically told that at 45 years old he was too old. He is a very well qualified civil engineer and speaks French. This company is actively recruiting english speakers.

Do you think at 45 years old it is unrealistic to look for a position in a French company?

We are now exploring other options as hubby will not move unless there is a solid prospect of work. So as a civil engineer in this country he can do things such as land surveying etc as part of his job. Does anyone know how we can find out if he do surveying in France? He is also a chartered builder, is there an equivalent in France?

Thanks for any advice

Joan

Joan,

For many many French people, retirement age is 55, or as close to it as possible.   That's changing, but people are very surprised to hear of Brits in their 60s still working.

The English-speaking thing is difficult as well.  I suspect that at that level your husband might be up against French people whose English is good enough for the job.  

Keep looking! 

[quote]My husband recently was interviewed by a UK subsidiary of one of the largest French construction companies for a post in France.The interview was arranged by an agency. Well the interview went very we...[/quote]

try contacting some of the "big boys" eurovia,vivendi,bouygues etc most have websites with recruitment pages.Try le moniteur construction industry magazine at www.lemoniteur-expert.fr Don't give up yet there are positions available.

I should have said that the company has to recruit a number of foreign nationals, the subsidiaries have all been set quotas they have to reach in order to bring in new blood, management styles etc, so the language was not the problem.They have to recruit foreigners, to fulfil the quota, not French nationals who speak good english. Therefore I assume the age comment was correct.

On previous occasions, a few years ago when we were aleady living in Toulouse we did try approaching the big companies without much success although I think the construction industry was going through a bad patch. Don`t know if its much better now.We ended up having to leave France due to the work situation.We don`t want to go through all that again. Next time we go its for good!

Joan

Too old, unfortunately that is how it is, over forty and past it is the philosophy in lots of french companies. A friend, he is well qualified has been unemployed for two years and in his early forties and at the few interviews he has had after sending over 300 applications, the same thing, too old.

I have no idea as to why this is, especially as many start work so late.

Ofcourse with the anciennete, in theory most companies can employ someone younger on far lower wages too.

What a shame for your husband and quite a blow below the belt. Unfortunately there is a lot of "young blood" coming in each year and the company probably felt that 45 was far too old and could pay a younger person a lesser salary thus saving on higher social charges especially pensions and health cover. The working world is cruel especially where experience and years of knowledge is concerned but that is how it is now. As mysfloss says he may have to try other companies to find something suitable so that you can make plans for the future.

Just out of interest which company is it?  I am a structural engineer and would love to get a job in France and live there permanently but would need a reliable income, as the OH doesn't speak much french that would be down to me.

I had previously thought that engineering companies would only employ french people with the correct qualifications, even though my qualifications are supposedly accepted internationally.  so thought that the only way would be to work for a large english company with an office in France and move to Paris.  As we have our place in Normandie, I would look to work in one of the large cities nearby.

How would you target the CV towards the french market, or would the agency help with that? Were they looking for fluent french, I'm at post A level standard and would be fluent very quickly if living there full time.

thanks for your comments/ advice

Cecil

Hi Cecil,

it was a subsidiary of Bougyues who are based in Normandy. I have forgotten their name but it begins with a Q !They have offices in Rouen and Beauvais, quite handy for you!If you check out Bouygues website you should find it. Re your CV I had to research on the internet finding examples of French CVs by other civil engineers and copied the format. There are a few website giving advice about layout, content etc. The agency did advise me over the wording of some phrases.

There are agencies in the UK and Paris eg Haysworks which might be helpful contacting. At 45 we cannot contemplate retiring for quite some time so I think he`ll have to look at going self employed, building, surveying etc.

Are you chartered? Couldn`t you set up a cabinet?

If you are over 40 as TU says its very difficult.

good luck

Joan

I think there is to much looking on the black side in many of the replies posted,a positive attitude helps, it won't be easy to find work you wont get a permanant contract straight off ,try anyway.Being on the spot helps, knocking on doors ,loads of other things you can do.I dont believe that self employment is the only way out either.

I don't think people are being black, Mysfloss.

Replies have been from people who do have a positive attitude, who are on the spot, and who do keep trying, and who are still finding it difficult.

I jump at any bilingue job offers locally, but out of three this morning, only one wanted English, the others were Allemand and Espagnol bilingue exigée.   

I think it's worth pointing out that the French job market has a different set of values and expectations, that's all.   

[quote]I don't think people are being black, Mysfloss. Replies have been from people who do have a positive attitude, who are on the spot, and who do keep trying, and who are still finding it difficult. I ...[/quote]

I have worked in the french construction industry fot the last 12years and my experience tells me that foriegn nationals do find positions at all levels here.I'm not speaking about the artisan round the corner.larger companies take on foriegners,be it turk portuguise or english.Age doesn't seem to be a barrier either,thats why I wrote that people are looking on the black side.

Well there's the answer - we all become builders!!! 

This will avoid the age problem.  I do feel sorry for anyone at 45 looking for a job here.  I've been told that if I spend time retraining for anything, I'll be "getting on a bit" in employers' eyes.  This news shocked me, because even if I started another whole degree, I STILL wouldn't be 45 when I finish!

I don't know, maybe the construction industry's an exception?   It's true that no-one else has mentioned it as a potential workplace.

[quote]Well there's the answer - we all become builders!!! This will avoid the age problem. I do feel sorry for anyone at 45 looking for a job here. I've been told that if I spend time retraining for a...[/quote]

Must be your lucky day SB, I have in my possession a nearly new pair of tuf caterpillar boots, a hardly used level (fixed bubble, obviously), a couple of trowels, drop the jeans a bit to show the infamous builders wotsit et voila, all yours for a song (nothing new'ish, like rap though).

Should be more than sufficient for you to apply at the nearest building site shouldn't it ? Tell 'em Mr Costain sent you from Londres

[quote]Well there's the answer - we all become builders!!! This will avoid the age problem. I do feel sorry for anyone at 45 looking for a job here. I've been told that if I spend time retraining for a...[/quote]

the original post was by someone in the constuction industry wasn't it.                                                           sp portuguese,portuguese,portuguese.

Oui, mais it was about being too old at 45, which was only what everyone else was agreeing with!

Miki, these boots of yours, do they have laces?  I only have a BAC+27, isn't it a BAC+35 plus 4 years wearing slip-ons before you're allowed to do up your own laces?

However, I'm well qualified in the display of body parts department.  Or so I'm told, I don't always remember.

Miki, these boots of yours, do they have laces?  I only have a BAC+27, isn't it a BAC+35 plus 4 years wearing slip-ons before you're allowed to do up your own laces?

Laces !! these cat boots have the latest all dancing all singing (not rap) velcro fasteners. You only need Bac + 19 and no need for the slip-ons brevet pass to qualify either !

There will be jobs soon on the new underground (under the sea in fact !) car park in Saint Malo if you want to apply, do so quick before all the expats and other foreigners get all the work (pense pas