Good Removal Companies?

Hello

We are moving to the Toulouse area end June/beg July and have put our house up for sale/or let  and intend to rent for 2 years initially when we arrive.  Does anyone have reccomendations/avoids/anything I should know before I start contacting companies for quotes?

Thanks

D

Given where you live, the firm we used (Bucks) wouldn't be much help to you.

However, apart from the obvious things when you 'buy' any service (2-3 quotes, good local reputation, etc), I would suggest the following:

• Experience of moves to mainland Europe? (ask to see commendations & follow them up)
  • Packing service (it costs only a small proportion of the overall cost & is something less to worry about)
  • The proposed timetable - judge whether it's realistic, bearing in mind the speed of a removal lorry
  • Access to your new property - narrow, steep climb, get close to the building? If any of these are iffy, what is their attitude?

There's probably more things that someone else will come up with.

We had a smashing firm, who made the move as smooth as it could have been. I suspect that most are like that though - it seems to go with the trade!!

[quote user="DonnaD"]We are on the suffolk/cambs border. A14, A11.[/quote]

Donna

Try Lapworths of Leicester,  I used them and I lived in Kent.  They were great[:)], I could not fault a thing, free storage of items deposited with them prior to the move and really professional staff, all packaging materials, boxes, packaging tapes and dispensers are part of the price and if you want to pack yourself these are delivered by courier to your house in good time before the move.  You can get a quote on line from them by entering your furniture room by room.

Remember with overseas removals it is not cheap and you get what you pay for, cheap is not always cheerful, check insurances and see if you are getting exclusive use of the lorry.  Also remember that lorries are not as fast as cars and your removal lorry will take a lot longer to get to your destination. than you will in your car due to driving hours restrictions [:)]